BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-01-03 2:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016

Holy moly, look at all the new manatees - that's fantastic!! Welcome all!

NAME: Ann-Marie

What you're actually called: Around here I'm often called Hands.  Why?  Short version - I couldn't make up my mind about doing an event and did one of those "on the one hand" analysis.  Turns out, I have about 14 hands! 

STORY: I've been active my whole life, tennis, cycling, kayaking, hiking and just about anything else but running! I always considered running punishment. Then in 2008 I decided to run the 2009 Disney marathon and joined our LRS's training program. Somewhere along the way, I actually started to like running. Now that is my main activity. I started triathlons in 2010 and averaged about 6 races a year.  Then in 2014 I tore my labrum and rotator cuff, so both in 2014 and 2015 I only participated in  1 sprint tri (per year). I've done mostly sprint tris, but have done 3 HIM.

FAMILY STATUS: Single with a 10 year old german shepherd named Gunnar.  He makes frequent appearances in my logs.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been run focused for quite some time and have a number of road and trail races on the calendar, the first race of the year is 1/9 - a trail HM.  I will be getting back on the bike later this month, hopefully.  I also need to get in the pool at some point!

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Right now, I only have committed to running events, but at some point I'll add in some tris.  Maybe, just maybe I;ll get motivated to train for a fall 70.3.  I'm also in the middle of a run series. I'm in the running (ha!) for winning my AG for the series, but the very, very real liklihood is that will not be happening!!

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: First and foremost, stay healthy. I've had a problem with that the last few years. I've also been talked into a run challenge called something like 2016 miles in 2016.  I've also been doing cross fit a few times a week (on average) the last 3-4 months and want to continue. 

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'm fairly active in the forum and with inspires - although nowhere close to Judi, Janyne and Chirs! There are a lot of more experienced manatees on board, but if I can contribute to a training, workout etc question I do.  And, I'm always happy to look at your dog (and cat) pictures!

ETA:  Yay, top of page 2!

Edited by amd723 2016-01-03 2:40 PM

2016-01-03 2:46 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Cypress, Texas
NAME: Markus (also go by Rossi)

STORY: I'm a 45 year old IT Director and been trying to do a Tri since 2007, though I didn't end up actually doing one until 2015. Born in Germany (West). Grew up doing competitive gymnastics from age 5 to 14, until I blew my ACL. Did miscellaneous stuff from my late teens to mid twenties, mainly martial arts, skating (ice and inline) and jump diving.I also mixed in numerous team sports like basketball, soccer and volleyball. A coworker got me interested in Tri's in 2007 and I was actually signed up for one that year, but due to the adoption of our oldest daughter I had to cancel that one. In 2008, 2009 and 2010 I was plagued with misc. injuries (hip flexor, knees and lower back). 2011 and 2012 my son and my youngest daughter were born and then in 2013 I was struck by a rare autoimmune disease called Guillain-Barre Syndrome. The disease attacks your peripheral nerves and in real bad cases leaves people temporarily paralyzed from neck down hooked to breathing machines. In my case my legs and arms were affected, but only to the point where I had a lot of tingling, delayed movements and balance issues associated with my limbs. The worst hit came to my autonomous system and my blood pressure, heart rate, vestibular ocular reflex, digestive system took most of the hit and I had to deal with all kinds of weird hard to describe symptoms until after 8 months the 14th Doctor finally gave me a diagnosis. At that point there wasn't much they could do other than let the body heal itself over time, which finally by about March 2015 I felt that I'm at least about 80 to 90% back to normal. At that point I weight in at 210 (I went through three sets of steroids during my sick phase) but was determined to finally leave the sickness behind and encourage others with worse outcomes than mine by finally completing a Triathlon, which I did in June of 2015. I completed another two later in the year, all sprints. I'm also back down to about 185 lbs.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 17 years, two adopted older daughters 16 and 19 and two little surprises, a 4 year old boy and a 3 year old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 3 to 4 times a week. Swim and bike currently about once a week, but those two suffer the most due to work and kids.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Half marathon in February and then at least 3 sprints, potentially an Olympic if I can get my swim down.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Trying to improve my run speed. Due to my sickness speed seems to be hard to come by these days. I finally ran a sub 30 min 5k early December. Only reference point I have to what should be possible is a 47:40 min 10k I ran when I was 27. I ran that one without any practice so I'm thinking that pace should be achievable with some training, even though I'm quite a few years older. Also shedding another 10 lbs would be nice.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I try to learn as much as possible and share the knowledge I have. I think there's some tips and tricks I can give from my gymnastics background that can help. (Injuries, strength training and flexibility)
2016-01-03 4:04 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Expert
Markus - glad to hear you are recovering well from Guillain-Barre. My mother had the chronic form of it - chronic-inflammatory demilenating polyneuropathy. Most people haven't heard of either of them. For my mom she got to the point where she couldn't walk unassisted. The next year she did a try-a-tri. Keep up the great work and the recovery, it is an awful disorder, hopefully it is gone from you for good
2016-01-03 5:02 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by Daffodil

Markus - glad to hear you are recovering well from Guillain-Barre. My mother had the chronic form of it - chronic-inflammatory demilenating polyneuropathy. Most people haven't heard of either of them. For my mom she got to the point where she couldn't walk unassisted. The next year she did a try-a-tri. Keep up the great work and the recovery, it is an awful disorder, hopefully it is gone from you for good

Sorry to hear about your Mom Laura. How is she doing now?

I ordered myself a custom Triathlon suit to raise awareness for GBS/CIDP. It came in after last years season. Can't wait to wear it in 2016. It's definitely not something a lot of people have heard about, even Doctors have no clue about it a lot of times.

Edited by johnthecat 2016-01-03 5:19 PM
2016-01-03 5:02 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Can I join? I've been a member of BT since April 2015 and would like to join a mentor group.

Name: Connor

Story: I'm 14 years old, but I've been through a lot. At birth both of my kidneys failed and I was in and out of hospitals for the first year of my life. I had a transplant at 10 months and am one of the first ten people to not be on steroids afterwards. I started running at 11 years old despite the doctors telling me I wouldn't be any good at it because I wouldn't be able to keep hydrated. I kept running and never looked back. I just recently started doing triathlons and am loving it so far.

Family Status: Both parents, one younger sister, two dogs, and two cats

Current Training: Right now I'm on a junior elite team (although I am in no way. shape, or form an elite) whose main goal is to prepare us for possibly going to the 2020 or 2024 Olympics. We are sprint focused and train 5 days a week together: two run/swim days and three bike/run days.

Races/Events: Mostly local sprint races, but I may be chosen to go to a national qualifier if my swimming improves. There is a policy that if you are caught by the person in first place, you are disqualified.

Goals/Objectives/Desires: I want to learn more about the sport of triathlon. My hope is that if I have a question, you have an answer, and vice-versa.

What makes you a good Manatee: I am open to any advice or suggestions. If it works, I'm willing to do it.
2016-01-03 5:23 PM
in reply to: #5157817

User image

Master
Wow y'all are an inspiring bunch! Welcome to all.

2016-01-03 5:41 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm in, bio on Monday.

2016-01-03 5:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome to returning Manatees Chris, Jen, Lisa, Karen, Kirsten, Judi, Darren, Stacey, TJ, Ann-Marie as well as new Manatees Adam, Kevin, Tom S., Dicky, Dave, Laura, Mark, Robin, Rossi and Connor!

2016-01-03 6:02 PM
in reply to: #5158891

User image

Master
Karen I just saw your q about Calgary 70.3. I did it in 2012ish so a different course, but it was a good race. I think the run is the same route. What would you like to know?
2016-01-03 6:40 PM

User image

I'm playing again as well!

NAME: I'm Robin (we have two Robins this year!)
STORY: I'm a boring middle school band and orchestra teacher. I was a swimmer and skier in my younger years. I burned out on swimming after high school and refused to get in the pool on my second day of college swimming. For the next 10 years the only time I got in the pool was to train lifeguards or teach swimming lessons. After I quit my summer job at the waterpark I only got in a pool to cool off when I was on vacation in warmer locations. I decided to start swimming a bit again when Lifetime Fitness opened a club a few miles from our house. It was there I did my first indoor tri and was instantly hooked. I don't ski anymore because of what my coach and I refer to as "The Limb", aka my left foot and ankle that didn't heal properly after a surgery in 2010. I'm still putting off surgery on The Limb again because I don't want to be in a cast for 6 months even again.

FAMILY STATUS: I have an amazing Sherpa, I mean husband, who puts with all of my nonsense. He should really do dualthons as he does all the outside bike rides with me and he's done a few marathons and half marys. Instead he just trains with me and cleans the house. We have four 4 kids: a golden receiver (he retrieves nothing, only catches and runs) who is 8 but acts like he's still a puppy; a real golden who lives up to the name of Dug from the movie Up, including the cone of shame; a cat who eats more than I do; and finally, a Siamese who sits on my aero bars and yells at me if I'm slacking.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right I'm only training about 9-11 hours a week. As always it's heavy on the swim and light on the running.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
Right now the only race I'm doing for sure is the Boulder 70.3 on June 11.
Probably will do the Colfax Half Marathon again in May, depending on how The Limb behaves this year.
I'm looking at a few Sprints and Olympic distances sprinkled throughout the summer as well.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I want to go under 6 hours this year in Boulder. I also want to go under 2 hours in the Colfax Half. I'm looking at this season as maintenance season as I want to go back to the full Ironman next year. Basically, I'm lacking focus right now because I really want to do the Boulder IM again this year but my coach and my husband would strangle me if I signed up for it.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Why would I make a good manatee? Why because of my fur kids and their cute pictures!
2016-01-03 7:40 PM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by CRFTX2001 Can I join? I've been a member of BT since April 2015 and would like to join a mentor group. Name: Connor Story: I'm 14 years old, but I've been through a lot. At birth both of my kidneys failed and I was in and out of hospitals for the first year of my life. I had a transplant at 10 months and am one of the first ten people to not be on steroids afterwards. I started running at 11 years old despite the doctors telling me I wouldn't be any good at it because I wouldn't be able to keep hydrated. I kept running and never looked back. I just recently started doing triathlons and am loving it so far. Family Status: Both parents, one younger sister, two dogs, and two cats Current Training: Right now I'm on a junior elite team (although I am in no way. shape, or form an elite) whose main goal is to prepare us for possibly going to the 2020 or 2024 Olympics. We are sprint focused and train 5 days a week together: two run/swim days and three bike/run days. Races/Events: Mostly local sprint races, but I may be chosen to go to a national qualifier if my swimming improves. There is a policy that if you are caught by the person in first place, you are disqualified. Goals/Objectives/Desires: I want to learn more about the sport of triathlon. My hope is that if I have a question, you have an answer, and vice-versa. What makes you a good Manatee: I am open to any advice or suggestions. If it works, I'm willing to do it.

That is awesome!

In again. Might be a bit before a bio.

2016-01-03 7:50 PM

User image

Munich, Bayern
I have a quick question.
Can anyone suggest a good hardware for strava? I would like to record my swims too.

Edited by Lighttower 2016-01-03 7:50 PM
2016-01-03 7:50 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hello everyone and happy new year!

NAME: Mary (32). I came from Poland over 12 years ago and now live in Chicago. No complains, except when it's to much winter in winter. I work in research administration at the university and I love it.

STORY: I run distances up to 10 miles for about 2 years before I got into triathlon. And it was an accident - my coworker suggested we should try with a sprint distance, and I immediately fell in love with tri training. In 2015 (my first year with TRI) I completed 3 sprints.
I am also a huge fan of hiking - I can hike until my legs fell off. I do horseback riding once in a while, ice skating and snowboard too.

FAMILY STATUS: I am single/divorced, and have two kids (6 and 8), and two cool cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: It's not easy, as I work full time and will be going back to school this year. I try to train every day during my lunch break, and over the weekend when my kids visit their dad. Weather permitted, I try to bike to work.
Until April (when I will try my very first half marathon) I want to do as many runs per week as I can. As for swimming, I will be working on "zero to 700" plan. Once I'm done with HM, I will focus on building endurance and distance for my swimming (with "zero to 1650"), and keep running. My brother will visit me from Poland, so I'm hoping to run every day early in the morning. That would be perfect. And crazy.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: My plan for 2016 is: 1x Olympic distance (A race), 3x sprint, 2x half marathon, 1x 5K, 1x 10K, I would looove to do 2.5k swim in September if I can manage my swimming.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Mostly swimming... I completed all my sprints in breaststroke. I had a really hard time learning freestyle, but with Total Immersion book it seems to be actually doable. The goal for this year is Oly distance and I will definitely be seeking advices on that matter. I'd like to get faster with running (my strongest leg), ideally I would love to go below 8 minutes (current best pace was 8:40 in sprint and 8 minutes in 4 mile run - down from 12 when i started 2 years ago).

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I enjoy the spirit and support, and all the joy this groups shares with the members.

Edited by marysia83 2016-01-03 8:00 PM
2016-01-03 9:37 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
RE Calgary 70.3 Just curious about things like water temps, the bike and run course, how big an event it is. I do have the course description but it is always good to hear from someone who has done the race. The course sounds like it is mainly down in the valley, not way up in the Rockies. Mostly flat bike course, some hills on the run. Does that sound like what you did?

I have been to Calgary once before but think I was just 13 or 14; really don't remember anything about it. Also, have never raced in Canada before. Is there anything I should know rule-wise that's different from racing in the US? (Like no wetsuits because Canadians are freeze-proof?) Or is it basically the same for all the IM races?
2016-01-03 11:42 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner RE Calgary 70.3 Just curious about things like water temps, the bike and run course, how big an event it is. I do have the course description but it is always good to hear from someone who has done the race. The course sounds like it is mainly down in the valley, not way up in the Rockies. Mostly flat bike course, some hills on the run. Does that sound like what you did? I have been to Calgary once before but think I was just 13 or 14; really don't remember anything about it. Also, have never raced in Canada before. Is there anything I should know rule-wise that's different from racing in the US? (Like no wetsuits because Canadians are freeze-proof?) Or is it basically the same for all the IM races?

I nearly ran the race at the same time Kirsten did it, but backed out. It's a very different course now from then. Entirely different swim venue (like 55 miles away), so any comparisons wouldn't be worth anything. Different bike course, Bike course looks shorter and flatter than the previous one. Old one had a net decent, but still had more hills to it and was 94k long. In general, it looks notably easier than the older course.

ETA: Old swim course was somewhat notorious for being cold, so the new one is likely to be better in that regard.

Edited by brigby1 2016-01-03 11:45 PM
2016-01-03 11:47 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Woah! May I tiptoe in? I really have some reading to do Just back from Kansas last night. Welcome to ALLLL the new Manatees :D Hiya, Oldies.

2016-01-04 12:00 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Hot Runner RE Calgary 70.3 Just curious about things like water temps, the bike and run course, how big an event it is. I do have the course description but it is always good to hear from someone who has done the race. The course sounds like it is mainly down in the valley, not way up in the Rockies. Mostly flat bike course, some hills on the run. Does that sound like what you did? I have been to Calgary once before but think I was just 13 or 14; really don't remember anything about it. Also, have never raced in Canada before. Is there anything I should know rule-wise that's different from racing in the US? (Like no wetsuits because Canadians are freeze-proof?) Or is it basically the same for all the IM races?

I nearly ran the race at the same time Kirsten did it, but backed out. It's a very different course now from then. Entirely different swim venue (like 55 miles away), so any comparisons wouldn't be worth anything. Different bike course, Bike course looks shorter and flatter than the previous one. Old one had a net decent, but still had more hills to it and was 94k long. In general, it looks notably easier than the older course.

ETA: Old swim course was somewhat notorious for being cold, so the new one is likely to be better in that regard.

Yup, the old swim course was in Ghost Lake Reservoir.  Water temp was about 15C race morning; that is 59 degrees.  Brrrr.  Old bike was quite hilly, I think it is flatter now.  It can be windy, especially along hwy 8, which is the last part of the route.  The run is a fairly nice route--a couple of hills and not much shade if it is hot out.  Great support all the way around, tons of spectators still cheering when I came in at 7:30.  Rules are all the same as far as I know; we even have the route marked in miles for ya!

2016-01-04 5:54 AM
in reply to: Lighttower

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Lighttower I have a quick question. Can anyone suggest a good hardware for strava? I would like to record my swims too.

i have the Garmin 910 and it works well with strava. The newer version is the 920, which does some cool things the 910 can't.   For an in depth review go to dcrainmaker.com.   He does great reviews on pretty much everything.  I think Janyne has the 920, so maybe she can give you her experience.

2016-01-04 6:53 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by awm007  I'm lucky to have lots of race options in central North Carolina. My primary focus is the Raleigh 70.3 held in early June. I've signed up for a sprint and Olympic before that and a few races for after that race as well, but my training will be focused on the 70.3 distance during the mentoring period.

Adam, I am just now reading the first two pages of the thread and I notice that you live in the Raleigh area.  I live in Apex. You might want to check out IOSTC.  They normally host IM Raleigh training rides and do a lot with Triangle Triathlon among other things.  Fred keeps on saying that 2016 registration will be opening soon.  It's worth checking out. 

https://www.facebook.com/IOSTC/

2016-01-04 6:59 AM
in reply to: Superfunkyfresh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Superfunkyfresh NAME: Dicky STORY: I'm 32, currently serving in the Royal Air Force as a communications technician. I played ice hockey with the RAF for several years as a netminder before getting a knee injury and after 18 months of rehab I was told I was better off finding another sport which is where I was talked into trying triathlon. I am terrible at swimming so got a swim coach and last month managed to swim 400m FS for the first time which was brilliant.

Melanie is also a goalie!  Is she here yet?

2016-01-04 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Lighttower FAMILY STATUS: Single, never married, no children. :-)

Do you have pets?

2016-01-04 7:06 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

I wanna be in... Can I? I would like to have some more interaction with folks this season.  I'll post a bio later if you all will have me.

Post a bio!

2016-01-04 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Lighttower I have a quick question. Can anyone suggest a good hardware for strava? I would like to record my swims too.

I have a 920XT but I actually use an old Garmin Swim in the pool.  The Vivoactive might work but I'm not sure that it has a swim drill mode.

We have a Manatee Strava group.  Let Chris or me know and we can add you. 

2016-01-04 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

NAME: Your jmkizer / Janyne

STORY:  I'm 48, married with one dog, Zoe.  Zoe is a golden retriever puppy who will be 4 months old tomorrow. We live near Raleigh, NC where I work at NC State University doing computer stuff for Cooperative Extension.  I've lived in the Raleigh area since 1990.  Before that I lived, in order of appearance, in Newfoundland; Milwaukee; Wappingers Falls, NY; Waterloo, IA; Ramsey, NJ; and Shippensburg, PA.  I ran cross country in high school and college and then "took a break."  You know, got married, stopped paying attention to my fitness and weight, etc.  Then someone gave me a picture of me and my dog (Emma, now at the Rainbow Bridge).  I looked at it and tried to identify that fat person with my beautiful puppy!  No way!  Started riding bikes.  Stopped eating junk. Started riding bikes a lot.  Decided to run some.  Joined a gym with a pool (Lifetime Fitness) and decided that I should swim too…  Now I'm looking forward to my fifth iron distance event!

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with one dog.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I currently in a run focused block of training.  I'm doing just a tiny bit of swimming and biking right now.

2016 RACES/EVENTS:  Crystal Coast half marathon, Boston marathon, Cary Long Course Du, Race 13.1 Raleigh half marathon, Lake Logan half ironman, Ironman Chattanooga

GOALS:  Have fun and run well in Boston and Chattanooga. Have fun with the new coach-type person (you!). Do my PT/core/etc. to help stay free
of any major injuries (I realize that niggles happen). Eventually I'd like to run Chicago and probably NY marathons and I'd like to do an international full/half marathon as well(Edinburgh, Lisbon...)

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE:  Support. Talkativeness.

2016-01-04 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mark, I am currently using a Garmin 310xt, and before that I used a Timex Global Trainer. Both work OK in the pool, using the "in the cap" method. Garmin auto syncs with Strava using Garmin Connect. When I used the Timex, I was doing a "file dance" to get it loaded to Strava. I think someone in here uses a Polar and another uses Suunto, but I can't for the life of me remember who.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 874 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.