General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-28 6:31 PM

Subject: Open Water Swim
Hi guys:

Any tips any BTers can impart on someone who is new to saltwater open water swimming?

I tried swimming in the ocean the other day where water wasn't too choppy but the after taste of the salt water really made me dehydrated quickly.

Thanks

2015-12-29 9:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Open Water Swim
How much of the water were you drinking?

OK, jokes aside; I do my open water work in wavy choppy waters most of the time and I get an occasional mouthful, but it's not the salt water that'll cause the dehydration. Maybe if you're in the salt water for a 10 mile swim you have concerns, but for anything else it's your diet and nutrition that will be the dehydration cause. Cramping can happen due to that, as well as the possibility of the challenge of the open water swim pushing your fitness level to cause cramps.

Edited by TJHammer 2015-12-29 9:36 AM
2015-12-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: losyork

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True--salt water shouldn't truly dehydrate you unless you are swimming a really long way (like over IM distance) in warm water, or swallowing unusual amounts, but it can make your mouth feel gross. I usually rinse my mouth out with a swallow of fresh water after the swim in T1 (for a longer race) or when starting the bike (for shorter races). Plus start drinking as soon as you start the bike, not later. That will get the salt taste and drying effect out of your mouth.
2015-12-29 2:59 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

I have been training for an iron distance race so I was swimming for 1-1.5 hours. I think the water gets in no matter if I'm trying to swallow any of it. I need to work on my breathing style.

Has anyone heard of this company- iolite?

http://www.swimiolite.com/

it does the sighting for you by lighting up green yellow or red depending on if you are on course on not.
2015-12-29 5:04 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Find out how that thing knows what "straight" is.

Exactly how......
2015-12-30 12:36 AM
in reply to: nc452010

it has two modes- free style and course directed. if you are aiming to a direction, the goggles will light up green if you are on course and red or yellow depending on how far you are straying from the direction.

i think the goggles are running on gps and probably an accelerometer as well. i think the technology would be really useful if it worked.

2015-12-30 5:07 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm still not hearing exactly how it knows what "Straight" is.

Now, if you tell me I could stand and laser point a spot with it..................and it would program that spot......I'd be interested. I would like to know exactly how it recognizes "straight".
2015-12-30 8:31 AM

User image

Exton, PA
The dehydration feeling from the salt water is probably just that, a feeling because the salt water drys out your mouth. This does not mean you are actually dehydrated.

As for those GPS goggle it does not specify how it knows where the course is? I assume you need to program the course in like downloading gps routes for your bike computer. The problem is someone has to put a gps course online for you to download and since the tri swims change every time and sometimes in the middle of the race you would not be able to trust anything its telling you.
2015-12-30 5:52 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Brooklyn, New York
My straightening device is usually the guy on the kayak saying "hey buddy....off course!" Works every time
2015-12-30 7:12 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Originally posted by nc452010

I'm still not hearing exactly how it knows what "Straight" is.

Now, if you tell me I could stand and laser point a spot with it..................and it would program that spot......I'd be interested. I would like to know exactly how it recognizes "straight".

From what I understand, you set the direction at the start and at each buoy and then it tracks the line. The review I read said that it worked quite well but it was a prototype and quite expensive.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/iolite-enabled-goggles.html
2015-12-30 7:54 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Pro

Originally posted by b2run
Originally posted by nc452010 I'm still not hearing exactly how it knows what "Straight" is. Now, if you tell me I could stand and laser point a spot with it..................and it would program that spot......I'd be interested. I would like to know exactly how it recognizes "straight".
From what I understand, you set the direction at the start and at each buoy and then it tracks the line. The review I read said that it worked quite well but it was a prototype and quite expensive. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/iolite-enabled-goggles.html

No......just no.  

Learn to swim and sight.  That way when the buoys gets blown from their morings....as they inevitably will....you won't be dependent on a device that does NOTHING to help you be a better open water swimmer.

2015-12-30 8:24 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by nc452010 I'm still not hearing exactly how it knows what "Straight" is. Now, if you tell me I could stand and laser point a spot with it..................and it would program that spot......I'd be interested. I would like to know exactly how it recognizes "straight".
From what I understand, you set the direction at the start and at each buoy and then it tracks the line. The review I read said that it worked quite well but it was a prototype and quite expensive. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/iolite-enabled-goggles.html

No......just no.  

Learn to swim and sight.  That way when the buoys gets blown from their morings....as they inevitably will....you won't be dependent on a device that does NOTHING to help you be a better open water swimmer.

This. Save your $200. Seriously
2015-12-31 3:09 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by Left Brain

No......just no.  

This. Save your $200. Seriously

+1

2015-12-31 11:35 AM
in reply to: axteraa

yeah i think learning to sight and be comfortable with ows is better than relying a gadget but if the tech got cheaper and was reliable, I would love to try it out.

I sight for not only direction but also to avoid other swimmer and not get kicked in the face.
2015-12-31 4:34 PM

User image

I wouldn't buy it if it was $20. But that's just me. IMO it solves a non-existent and/or easily fixed problem. But.... If you sight to avoid other swimmers I don't see how this helps. In fact it increases the risks as I guess the point is you never look up
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cold Water Open water Swim Caps

Started by peggyswims
Views: 1285 Posts: 3

2012-01-08 10:17 PM smurfcore

Open water swimming (somewhat cold) - swim cap required?

Started by iOrlando
Views: 2313 Posts: 10

2011-05-25 8:30 AM Av8rTx

"Swim Across America" open water swims?

Started by nehptune
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2010-07-08 2:59 PM nehptune

Open water swimming in cold waters...

Started by lkc01234
Views: 2121 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 11:07 PM kingofbanff

Water Temperature - Open water swim

Started by tmueller
Views: 15473 Posts: 13

2008-02-17 10:12 AM tmueller
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.