Competitor Group, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 54m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at Barb and Bill's. It was nice to have a house to sleep in (and it was free), but resulted in an early wake up call. We left in the 4 o'clock hour to make the drive to Savannah. We pulled into the garage right at 5:30 am and got situated before making the walk to the starting area. We found a kind of short port-o-potty line, dropped morning clothes bags and then got in our corral.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. It was plenty warm already...temps at the start were in the mid/high 60s with nearly 100% humidity.
Run
  • 3h 54m 36s
  • 19.88 miles
  • 11m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this was going to be a hot and humid run. I started out conservative and aimed for 9:30/miles. Within a few miles, my hip started bothering me (which hadn't bothered me at all during training). I saw our family a few times out on the course. It was nice to have them out there supporting us. Kari passed me around mile 6 and she seemed to be in great spirits. I knew Jeff and Brad were running together and I hoped they were doing ok.
Running felt progressively harder and I think I just threw the towel in mentally. It was hot/humid and pretty miserable, but no worse conditions than we've faced in some other races. I tried to switch to a run/walk interval of 8:2 and kept that going (with the exception of hills).
Around my mile 15 or so, I noticed we were being diverted. I learned that they shortened the course due to the weather. I wasn't sure how much was cut off of my race and was confused to see mile marker 20 and then 22. I learned they cut a few sections off the second half of the course and my run would be 6+ miles short. Once my run was cut short, I decided to just run when I wanted, but was mostly walking and trying to enjoy myself.
The out and back on the highway was pretty boring, but it helped they had a DJ out there. I kept waiting for Brad and Jeff to catch me, but it ended up they turned around before the finish line to get to a full 26.2 (they were only 2+ miles diverted).
My hip never got worse and it seemed it was the worst off in the first half of the run. Perhaps it was better the second half because I was walking more. I was happy to have run with my iPod. I didn't use it for the first 10+ miles, but once I got to the highway, I put in the ear buds.
The finish line seemed non-momentous...maybe because my race was cut short. I was upset in the beginning to hear it was shortened, but figured there wasn't much to do about it so I needed to get over it. Plus I had later learned at least one person died during the race. The race organizers advertised things for the weather (cooling buses/stations, more ice, etc). I didn't really see any of that and the volunteers weren't handing out ice at the aid stations...I had to go into the bags to get some.
In the end, it was a nice running tour of the city and was a fun experience with Brad, Jeff and Kari.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps slow down earlier. Or start a run/walk sooner. Not really sure. I felt I was properly trained going into this race, but heat/humidity are my Achilles heel.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat on the curb for a few minutes and had some chocolate milk. Brad's family found me and I joined them along the finish chute where I got to see Brad, Jeff and Kari finish.
We then grabbed the free beers from the beer tent, got our free race jackets and walked a few blocks back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

100% humidity

Event comments:

The race certainly had it's faults. It started late, they didn't train the volunteers to hand out ice, there was a lack of communication on the course about the shortening. The post race things were nice...free beer and a free jacket, but the signage was awful and we didn't know where anything was in the finishers area.
We received a free entry to another RNR race due to the shortened course.

Last updated: 2015-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
03:54:36 | 19.88 miles | 11m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-12-29 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah Marathon

2016-01-08 7:16 AM
in reply to: #5158227

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah Marathon
I ran the race as well and agree that there were definitely some shortcomings this year. We knew (locals) at least 10 days to a week before the race that is was going to be hot and humid on the day of the race (actually was 70 degrees and 93% humidity at the start with 87 degree heat index at 9:30), so there was no excuse for them not sending out heat warnings earlier in the week for those who were traveling here to race. That would have at least given the runners a chance to make some informed decisions. Also, not starting on time, and actually not moving up the start time at least 30 minutes did not help.

I was actually in the group ahead of you that did not get diverted until Mile 21. They cut about 1.9 miles (cedar street loop) off of our course, so I went 24.348 miles. It was really brutal on that part of course since there was no shade on the Truman Pkwy or Derenne, but they did a really good job with cooling buses and ice on that part of the course. I wasn't effected by the cup/water shortage that others referred to around mile 8 because I brought my own in a fuel belt (which I hate wearing but knew I needed on that day).

It was the hottest marathon I have ever run (walked at the end of course.) I live here but won't do this one again anytime soon. The year before though it was 20 degrees cooler and I qualified for Boston. Any given day. Good luck on your next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah Marathon

Started by LukeBoswell
Views: 849 Posts: 1

2013-11-11 9:58 AM LukeBoswell

Started by halford_tenark
Views: 913 Posts: 1

2013-11-10 5:09 AM halford_tenark

Started by NatNegativeSplit
Views: 1839 Posts: 5

2011-11-12 2:08 PM NatNegativeSplit

Started by bgraboski
Views: 1513 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 8:15 AM bgraboski

Started by msmegganann
Views: 1036 Posts: 1

2011-11-06 2:53 PM msmegganann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?