Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Happy 2016 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-03 1:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: Happy 2016
Not sure if I ought to post this, as I may have killed the BC forum last year

Anyway, I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year, and best wishes for a year of Health and Injury-free training.

2016-01-03 5:15 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Happy 2016
Happy new year! :D
2016-01-03 10:50 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hey Triosaurus - Happy New Year.  You didn't kill the BC Forum last year but it sure does seem like there is only us three involved (with the occasional rare drop-in).

Before Christmas I was looking forward to a break at Christmas but after nearly two weeks of relaxing I've gained almost 10 lbs and I had to start working out yesterday and today.  Tomorrow I'll go to the pool for my first official swim of the year.  In 2015 I totalled 255,200yds of swimming and I was really proud of the number until I read that many others swam a lot further and in a lot less time.  Every year I plan to build my bike and run fitness and 2016 will be the same.

Dustin - Happy New Year to you too.

So what are your plans for 2016?  I'm still just formulating my list but I'm thinking:

Cherry Blossom Sprint, Kelowna, May1st-ish

Oliver Half or 1/54/10, June 5th

Badlands Mediofondo, Drumheller, Alta June 25th

Penticton Velocefondo, July 10th (new distance)

Challenge Penticton, August 28th

Cultus Lake Oly, September 11th-ish

To the Tunnel 20km Run, November 7th

2016-01-06 2:27 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
So far I have registered for a couple things.

This is going to be "year of the ultra" :p

I registered for the hypothermic half in kelowna, but I'm just pacing my wife for that, hoping to bring her in under 2 hours. She was on track to do that at the kamloops half but had some GI issues from the breakfast choice that will never be made again :p

I did the full interior running association calendar in 2015, I MIGHT do it again this year, starting with the starting block 10k feb 14

I want to do the Okanagan College Half Marathon again this year, it messed me up pretty bad last year, would be nice to see how much better I can do, and how much better I can feel at the end.

April 23 I signed up for the nimble bear 50k and my wife signed up for the 25k. Lots of elevation gain, should be fun! Just going to finish and for the experience, but want to recover quickly because.......

I signed up for the Cherry Blossom sprint triathlon, it's a go to season opener for me now.

Oliver half iron is on the table definitely.

Big race of the year though, the Squamish 50/50 ( half the reason I am doing nimble bear )

50 miles day 1, 50k day 2, ~19,000 feet total elevation gain. 85% single track or something, rooty technical, not flowing at all. Check out the ginger runner squamish 50/50 film on youtube if you haven't yet.

My wife is doing the 50k on day 2, so we will do that day together, on my tired legs.

Squamish 50/50 is a week before challenge penticton, so chances are, I'll be totally fried :p

I want to get in a really good bike event or two other than just the weekly 10 mile time trials.

One of my daughters ( will be 9 ) wants to do the across the lake swim, so I will do that with her July 16

I want to do the 7k rattlesnake island swim August 6. Did the 3.1k swim this year and now I'd love to do the 7, swim across the lake, loop the island, swim back!!

Would love to get a 3rd tri in there somewhere too.
2016-01-06 2:30 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Also, I gained a few pounds since challenge. Training load dropped, weight crept up, cross country season started, hit it HARD, and total mileage dropped more!!!

I am finally back in the pool too. Just took getting a fenix 2, and signing up for a virtual ironman race some buddies are putting on from texas!!

Actually swam a 3,800m swim on the weekend in the pool in 1:09 and change with no stops! :D
2016-01-06 6:06 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow, you two have big plans for 2016!

I plan to train for and complete a half-iron distance event, as well as improve on the oly I did at Cultus.
A half-marathon has also been a goal for a while, so hopefully that will be checked off this year. At 52, I have managed to accumulate some mid-life pudginess, and it feels really odd to be overweight, for the first time ever in my life... A return to a leaner version of me is on my to-get-done list.

I guess I can look at this year as my glass being 'half full'

Good luck to you both, and perhaps we will run into one another somewhere...

kelly

2016-01-06 6:34 PM
in reply to: #5158814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Any idea which HIM or HM you are doing yet?
2016-01-10 11:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dustin

It looks like I may go to Osoyoos for the Osoyoos Lake Loop tri, which has a 1-loop and a 2-loop race. These are pretty well Oly and Half distance, though not exactly. This will be its 2nd year , late June iirc.
Did anyone do this event last year? I looked up the results.... kinda small field ...
As for a HM, i am thinking of late spring ... perhaps Van BMO I think it is called. Either that, or wait till fall...

I live in Langley so local is good. I do miss the OK, tho... I grew up in Armstrong
2016-01-11 2:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've thought about the Vancouver BMO Marathon weekend, but it falls on the same day as an early season sprint triathlon that I like to do, the Cherry Blossom Sprint tri!

I'm pretty sure a few of my friends have done the osoyoos loop tri, but the oliver half iron 3 weeks earlier seems to be better known among those I tend to talk to. Haven't looked into the actual numbers yet.

They've also got a sprint/oly on the saturday, and then a 1k/54k/10k on day two.

Most of the triathlons in the interior tend to have smaller fields other than the apple afaik.

Hoping I can make the half work this year

Edited by dfquigley 2016-01-11 2:53 AM
2016-01-12 12:50 PM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Hi Everyone,

Happy 2016!

It's a new year, and with the new year comes new experiences. I'm currently looking at the races available this year, and due to financials and a new puppy, local races are going to have to be on the agenda this year!

Last year I managed to complete the Vancouver Olympic Triathlon, the Peach Classic Olympic distance and the Rock and Roll Vancouver in October. Due to work and injury, I had to pull out of the BMO half earlier in the season. I honestly have to say though that I enjoyed the Rock and Roll more! And the bling at the end isn't too shabby either Last year was again riddled with injuries for me. In particular, compressed ribs and a tilted pelvis which inhibited my training quite a bit. I finished at the back of the pack of all my races, and would have to say I was a bit embarrassed by my performance. However, I was happy that I finished my triathlons, and I was proud of what I could accomplish given my condition. I would like to slowly build my way up again and lose some weight.

This year my goal is to lose about 20lbs (would be nice, and I would be happy with 10), and participate in some events without actually hurting myself!

I'm considering the Cultus Tri on May 29th, put on by Dynamic Race Events. Has anyone heard about this company? I think they are fairly new, and have quite a few races in their line up. They offer a cultus half iron distance in September as well for those who are interested.

There is also the Vancouver 5150, a new race which is replacing the Subaru Vancouver Triathlon at Lacarno. The new swim will be in Coal Harbour, and I'm not too sure I like the location of the swim. I always considered the water on the Coal Harbour side to be a bit gross. The run portion around Stanley park will be awesome. The bike portion is a number of loops, which i'm not too thrilled about.

Then there is the Vancouver Iron girl event in August, and a new "Games" (mini olympics for age groupers) coming to Vancouver end of August which features a Triathlon event. And then of course the usual Rock and Roll if my work and body allow.

Happy Training out there peeps. I am living in South Surrey. Considering joining a triathlon group, but haven't decided if this will be worth the money/membership. I ride a white and red BMC street racer. Feel free to wave hello if you see me riding 0 Ave this summer!

2016-01-12 3:32 PM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RunnyBunny

I'm considering the Cultus Tri on May 29th, put on by Dynamic Race Events. Has anyone heard about this company? I think they are fairly new, and have quite a few races in their line up. They offer a cultus half iron distance in September as well for those who are interested.

Dynamic Race Events is headed by Joe Dixon, and used to go under the name Outback Events.

They recently changed their name, not too sure as to why, but it's the same company that puts on the Oliver Half Iron that I am thinking about doing.

Cultus half in September? Maybe if there is no conflict! :p

So far of the people I know who have raced their events I haven't heard any complaints.

2016-01-13 10:58 AM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Awesome. Thanks for your reply!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Happy 2016 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Happy New Year

Started by triosaurus
Views: 1536 Posts: 4

2015-03-09 10:34 PM Crazypop

Happy New Year

Started by triosaurus
Views: 1529 Posts: 7

2014-07-21 12:54 AM hazmaster

Happy Birthday Jeni!

Started by couch potato no more
Views: 1085 Posts: 3

2008-12-24 10:16 PM Deputy

Happy Anniversary Chris and Kari!

Started by couch potato no more
Views: 995 Posts: 8

2008-05-12 10:57 AM SpiritFire

Happy New Year!

Started by Busygirl
Views: 962 Posts: 10

2008-01-03 12:43 AM Crazypop
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Discussion on rest and on being happy with your performance.

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 0
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.