General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Began running 6 days per week about a month ago... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-11 7:39 PM

User image

Subject: Began running 6 days per week about a month ago...
Prior to this, I was running similar mileage (14 miles/week) over 3 days. Now I am doing 16 miles/week over 6 days.
Even within the short time period I have been running 6 days, I do notice an increase in my speed - - without having focused on speedwork or anything like that. But I also have been feeling a strange tightness in my left ankle - I would describe it as almost a pulling. I don't feel it when I run and not all the time when I walk, but I do experience it a few times throughout the day. Anyone have any ideas what this might be?

2016-01-11 9:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Began running 6 days per week about a month ago...
It could be a variety of different things, and *if it persists*, the best course would be to see a doctor. The condition might require completely opposite responses, and pain in a specific area does not necessarily dictate the injury.

It could be muscle tightness as you adjust to less recovery time, and if you can stretch it out and run pain-free, it might go away . . . OR . . . it could be the beginning of a stress fracture or tendonitis, and running without taking time off might make it worse . . . OR something else. Can you be more specific on "ankle"? Inside? Outside? Top of foot? Rear/Achilles? Is it a tightness you can stretch out? Does it become more acute/painful moving it a certain way? If the pain started right away and has persisted, it could be a muscle strain. If it came on after a few weeks, if could be an overuse injury. I've nursed and run through some muscle strains that gradually went away and I've run into and exacerbated a stress fracture. Unfortunately there's not an easy answer. If it doesn't hurt to run, I'd probably continue running and keep an eye on it, stretch and ice. If it doesn't go away or gets worse, see a doc.

Edited by Ershk 2016-01-11 9:14 PM
2016-01-12 5:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Ershk

It could be a variety of different things, and *if it persists*, the best course would be to see a doctor. The condition might require completely opposite responses, and pain in a specific area does not necessarily dictate the injury.

It could be muscle tightness as you adjust to less recovery time, and if you can stretch it out and run pain-free, it might go away . . . OR . . . it could be the beginning of a stress fracture or tendonitis, and running without taking time off might make it worse . . . OR something else. Can you be more specific on "ankle"? Inside? Outside? Top of foot? Rear/Achilles? Is it a tightness you can stretch out? Does it become more acute/painful moving it a certain way? If the pain started right away and has persisted, it could be a muscle strain. If it came on after a few weeks, if could be an overuse injury. I've nursed and run through some muscle strains that gradually went away and I've run into and exacerbated a stress fracture. Unfortunately there's not an easy answer. If it doesn't hurt to run, I'd probably continue running and keep an eye on it, stretch and ice. If it doesn't go away or gets worse, see a doc.

Yes, the tightness is centered on the knob of the ankle. Doubt that it's a stress fracture as my bones are very strong and even when I've had accidents where I've fallen with all my weight going down a flight of stairs on top of the( opposite )ankle I just got a sprain where for all intents and purposes the way I fell should have broken the bone. I also was hit by a car which threw my shoulder into the sideview mirror of a parked car, breaking the mirror off, and all I received was a large purple (painful) bruise.

However, your mention of less recovery time/muscle tightness/muscle strain appears to be a likely culprit. I will start to stretch it a bit, ice it a little, take a few days off running and then continue as I've been. One last observation... even though I haven't been doing speedwork per se, I have noticed that my treadmill runs are at a higher rate than last winter (the only season I use treadmills), so that could be a contributing factor too.

Thanks!

Edited by Caroleena 2016-01-12 5:48 AM
2016-01-12 6:41 AM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Exton, PA
Many people underestimate the use of stretching.

Stretching well after a run is very important. I now spend about 10-15 minutes after a run just stretching. Several years ago I did not stretch much at all, because of that I had some severe back problems.

Muscle tightness effects everyone differently, where I had problems with my back, others may have issues with their knees, calves, ankles, feet, etc.
2016-01-12 8:37 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

Many people underestimate the use of stretching.

Stretching well after a run is very important. I now spend about 10-15 minutes after a run just stretching. Several years ago I did not stretch much at all, because of that I had some severe back problems.

Muscle tightness effects everyone differently, where I had problems with my back, others may have issues with their knees, calves, ankles, feet, etc.

Thanks Mike!
2016-01-12 9:38 PM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Caroleena

Originally posted by Ershk

Yes, the tightness is centered on the knob of the ankle. Doubt that it's a stress fracture as my bones are very strong and even when I've had accidents where I've fallen with all my weight going down a flight of stairs on top of the( opposite )ankle I just got a sprain where for all intents and purposes the way I fell should have broken the bone. I also was hit by a car which threw my shoulder into the sideview mirror of a parked car, breaking the mirror off, and all I received was a large purple (painful) bruise.

However, your mention of less recovery time/muscle tightness/muscle strain appears to be a likely culprit. I will start to stretch it a bit, ice it a little, take a few days off running and then continue as I've been. One last observation... even though I haven't been doing speedwork per se, I have noticed that my treadmill runs are at a higher rate than last winter (the only season I use treadmills), so that could be a contributing factor too.

Thanks!

Just a note on stress fractures, the strength of your bone as you call it doesn't mean you are susceptible to a fracture. They are not acute injuries either such as falling down stairs, they are chronic and build over time. Usually they are not noticed until it is too late, females are more frequent to stress fractures then males with regards to running as well.

Given what you describe it does not sound like a stress fracture, but if it does worsen over time I would look more into it.

Without actually seeing you in person I can only hypothesize but I would suggest taking a tennis ball (not a lax ball) and put at at the bottom of your calve and flex/extend your ankle, if the calf muscles are pulling your ankle and causing the pain you described that will help loosen the tension of the muscle belly. But again without seeing you move in person I can only guess as to what is best causing this issues. It could very well be a muscle imbalance above towards your knee or hip too.

2016-01-13 7:40 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Thanks Ben I'll try the tennis ball
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Began running 6 days per week about a month ago... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

laid off 4 days ago, Ironman Florida in 5 weeks

Started by brentybrent18
Views: 1197 Posts: 7

2012-09-28 9:07 PM southwestmba

Video and update on Jan Morgan ( She was run over a few months ago)

Started by rbsmith
Views: 719 Posts: 2

2011-09-30 3:38 PM tallvinny

One Day per Week Training????

Started by MikeTri37
Views: 1296 Posts: 10

2008-07-22 8:07 AM Malgal

How many days per week do you run?

Started by MLJ
Views: 1083 Posts: 19

2006-09-22 9:10 AM gsmacleod

How many days per week do you run?

Started by MLJ
Views: 595 Posts: 4

2006-09-21 2:10 PM awol
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
How important is it to decrease your stroke count?

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.