General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie here signed up for a sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-15 4:16 PM

Subject: newbie here signed up for a sprint
Hello,
i have decided to sign up for a sprint , I'm going to be doing the Peasantman in May.
I'm going to follow the 16weeks original training.
where should i go to find out what type of equipment i will need.
this race will be swam in open water, i think i will need more than just a regular swim suite.
thank you

2016-01-16 6:15 AM
in reply to: #5162029

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: newbie here signed up for a sprint
Basic stuff you need are a swim suit, goggles, bike, bike helmet, and running shoes. Beyond this, other equipment increases either speed or comfort. You probably don't need a wetsuit, but many people wear either one or two-piece race suits so there is no need to change clothing during the race. (For example, putting on a shirt when you are wet is difficult). Bike shoes are a common speed-related item but require clipless pedals. Sunglasses are also a good idea.
2016-01-16 10:20 AM
in reply to: Jmrire

Middleton, Wisconsin
I have also just signed up for my first sprint tri! Mine is June 12. I bought some tri shorts and a race belt on amazon. I still need to get a helmet! I plan on renting a wetsuit if the water temperature is going to be cool. I'm kind of a baby when it comes to cold water! I found a 12 week program online that starts off pretty easy. Plus I have way more than 12 weeks until my race! So after the 12 weeks I can focus on getting faster and going longer distances.
Good Luck!
2016-01-16 8:20 PM
in reply to: 0

Sarasota, Florida
This was my first post here and was curious how it all worked with transitions and gear.
I found the most necessary item I bought was tri shorts.
What I actually ended up with:
tri shorts
running shoes with socks
goggles
bike and helmet
saddle bag with spare tube, tools and hand pump
slicks for my mtb
32 oz water bottle
stopwatch for training

what I wish I had:
better tri shorts or body glide (mine caused bad chafing), towel and race belt.

Edited by runtim23 2016-01-16 8:20 PM
2016-01-24 3:47 PM

User image

Los Gatos
Go get this book. All you need to know from the best triathlon author out there!

http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-Triathlon-2nd-Ed/dp/1934030864/ref...
2016-01-26 7:24 AM

User image

Here is the thing I wish someone had told me before my first race: It isn't that complicated. Keep it simple.

You will want to overcomplicate it. You will think you need a ton of equipment. You don't, especially for a sprint. There will be people who do the entire thing in a swimming suit and on a mountain bike. There will be people there who don't even wear shoes.

Before my first race, I went to a first timers meeting. The guy giving the session held up a swim cap, a speedo, a bike helmet, and a race number. He said that these things plus a bike were all you needed for a race (although he recommended that we women wear something up top to be compliant with state law).

If you want to go crazy and buy a bunch of stuff, triathlon certainly lends itself to that. You can get a GPS watch and a heart rate monitor and a superbike with a power meter. You can buy special shoes for the bike and separate special shoes for the run. You can get a coach and a nutritionist.

Or you can find something that is comfortable for all 3 legs, keeping in mind that in a sprint, none of them are very long. For me, regardless of whether it is a sprint or HIM, I wear tri shorts and a sports bra. You have a bike or can borrow one? Great, ride that. It doesn't have to be anything special; it just needs to have two wheels and caps on the end of the handlebars. You do need a bike helmet. You also need some way to attach your race number for the run. This can be a race belt or safety pins. They will provide you with a swim cap at the race, but you will probably want to bring goggles.

Just have fun with it. Don't let it stress you out. And don't draft or block on the bike.

I hope your race goes well. I would like to see Peasantman get more support so it sticks around. I haven't done it yet, but I am eying their long course for 2017.

2016-01-29 12:29 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Denver, Colorado
Exactly what Happyscientis said. Once you see how it feels with your first race, you will know what you need and don't need for triathlons.
For my first tri (also sprint) I had a full closet of stuff in transition, including food and drink, and did not use any of those crazy things. I am anti-gadtes, and I like keep everything simple. I also want to do transitions as quickly as possible (since I am not the best in the main 3 legs), so here's my minimalists list:
-I do the whole thing in the same swimsuite
-swimming cap and goggles
-helmet for bike
-running shoes (I don't even wear socks)
-belt for the bib number
-sunglasses (only because I look goofy on the race pictures, and sun glasses make me look more normal )

It's a good idea to find small, local sprint race in the pool. It would be a good preparation for your main race
Good luck! I hope you love it!!

2016-01-29 1:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
To get started, you don't need much, just a bike, some running shoes, goggles and a swim suit. You don't even need a swim cap because they'll provide you with one.

Once you get addicted…I mean, "into it" you'll need; swim caps, goggles, kick board, paddles, short fins, long fins, a pull buoy, masters swim team membership, gym membership, triathlon bike, road bike, training wheels, race wheels, a trainer wheel (with trainer specific tire), a trainer, CO2 canisters, CO2 pump, a head unit, a pump with a pressure gauge, bottles, bottle cages, aero bottle, nutrition, race helmet, training helmet, sun glasses, power meter, fan, triathlon specific bike shoes, cleats, bike tools, bike stand, bike rack, long sleeved wetsuit, short sleeved wetsuit, bike travel cases, GPS watch, heart rate monitor,coaches, tri shorts (multiple), tri-tops (multiple), one piece tri suits, swim skins, running shoes, elastic laces, visor, foot pod, treadmill, running shorts, tank tops, running tights, running jackets, hats, blue tooth headphones, compression leg sleeves…..and a few other assorted items .

Edited by 3mar 2016-01-29 1:48 PM
2016-01-29 1:50 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Katy, Texas
....oh, and I forgot a couple of other REALLY important ones:

A lot of time, disposable income, Type-A personallity, and a VERY understanding spouse.
2016-01-29 2:13 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by 3mar

To get started, you don't need much, just a bike, some running shoes, goggles and a swim suit. You don't even need a swim cap because they'll provide you with one.

Once you get addicted…I mean, "into it" you'll need; swim caps, goggles, kick board, paddles, short fins, long fins, a pull buoy, masters swim team membership, gym membership, triathlon bike, road bike, training wheels, race wheels, a trainer wheel (with trainer specific tire), a trainer, CO2 canisters, CO2 pump, a head unit, a pump with a pressure gauge, bottles, bottle cages, aero bottle, nutrition, race helmet, training helmet, sun glasses, power meter, fan, triathlon specific bike shoes, cleats, bike tools, bike stand, bike rack, long sleeved wetsuit, short sleeved wetsuit, bike travel cases, GPS watch, heart rate monitor,coaches, tri shorts (multiple), tri-tops (multiple), one piece tri suits, swim skins, running shoes, elastic laces, visor, foot pod, treadmill, running shorts, tank tops, running tights, running jackets, hats, blue tooth headphones, compression leg sleeves…..and a few other assorted items .

CO2 canisters, CO2 pump...????? hahah I want to see you running with those
2016-01-29 2:23 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marysia83

CO2 canisters, CO2 pump...????? hahah I want to see you running with those

haha...I guess I was typing too fast...make that "cartridge"

2016-01-29 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY

Ha ! Now that you put it that way, I guess I've been doing this a little while.
2016-02-01 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Make sure you have sunscreen, a water bottle, energy bar.
Most important thing I was ever told: Nothing absolutely NOTHING new on race day.
Good luck and your only competition is yourself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie here signed up for a sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie Just Signed Up For First Tri

Started by amgray04
Views: 1149 Posts: 3

2012-04-08 7:32 PM ytriguy

Newbie just signed up for 1st Tri (oly)

Started by aa30
Views: 771 Posts: 4

2010-10-04 8:17 AM TriAya

IMLP 2008 sign-ups

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 1365 Posts: 6

2007-05-07 1:55 PM TimmyMay

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1841 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

IMCDA 2006 Sign ups

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1260 Posts: 3

2005-08-16 9:48 PM PGoldberger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
comments : 0
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!