General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Off Season Means to You Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-21 6:20 AM

User image

Subject: What Off Season Means to You
Just curious if anyone else can't sit still during the "Off Season". I have cut back on specific training like swimming and biking and replaced with lots of Yoga and flexibility along with various forms of strength training, which is funny if you saw my skinny arms. My new addiction is Trail Running, always diverse, great hamstring and quad workout. Always diverse and cardio is outstanding. Give it a try. Darby trails Cobshell and Terrace, and Alum Creek "Rocks and Roots" (they have a website and races) have excellent trails. The cure to winter blues for sure.

Interested in your winter workout changes even if it involves Twinkies and the couch.....To get in shape you must first get out of shape.

2016-01-21 9:10 AM
in reply to: eric_gutknecht

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: What Off Season Means to You
I have been inconsistent, but on good days I'm doing swimming, bike trainer, running (treadmill or outdoors, weather permitting) and weights. I like to do more weights in the winter.
Trail running sounds great. Do you do it even in the snow? Do you use regular running shoes, or something special? In the warm weather, it's easy for me to wear my Vibrams on trail runs, unless they are rocky or gravelly, and then it's a real pain. In the winter it can get too cold to wear Vibrams sometimes, especially if it's wet out.
2016-01-21 12:42 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

We run in the snow, Darby does not require anything special, mostly nice gravel paths, there are a couple through the grass but have not had any issues with traction. In the winter I use regular running shoes with some type of wool sock to keep feet warm in frigid temps. Alum Creek Rocks and Roots Trail may need special consideration, this is truly through the woods and stream running. Pending recent weather trail shoes are better for traction, or old shoes with pan head screws around the perimeter of the shoe. Plan to get wet so bring a warm change of footwear for after the runs. Last run it took a couple hours before I could feel my feet> The pathways can be very uneven it is a workout for the ankles.

We should make a run of it someday, be nice to get a group of fellow triathletes.

Check out Metro Parks for Darby Trails and Rocks and Roots has a web site for the 6 and 12 k routes, there are shorter routes available via shortcuts.
2016-01-22 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

A few friends completed the most recent rocks and roots and said the course was absolutely brutal, made my sad I missed it!  For winter I tend to drop the swim, and reduce the time spent running and biking but increase the intensity.  The thought is to increase speed in the winter and then learn how to hold it longer come Summer.  This is also make sit easier to meet the family commitments that have 3 kids in sports tend to create.  It's amazing how much soccer and basketball can be scheduled in one week!

2016-01-23 10:52 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Ha, I like that we run to brutal when most stay away. You missed it, weather turned nasty and dangerous, trees do make very loud sounds when they fall and I heard several. Made me run a bit quicker. My plan is similar to your plan, higher intensity shorter duration makes you feel light and ready come spring.

You know there is another R&R run February 7th. Come join the fun
2016-01-28 7:47 AM

User image

I have been slacking too much and putting on a few extra pounds, probably due to enjoying a few craft beers in the evening. I have also been focusing on family time. I haven't' neglected working out completely and have been slowing ramping back into it. Once I finally nail down my races for the season I'll have better motivation to get active. I think If I go ahead and print my training calendar that I have been working on, I'll stop pushing my start day back.

Also, my goal this season is to start working out in the mornings rather than at night after my wife and daughter are in bed. I have not had success yet, but will keep trying.

2016-02-07 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Originally posted by eric_gutknecht Ha, I like that we run to brutal when most stay away. You missed it, weather turned nasty and dangerous, trees do make very loud sounds when they fall and I heard several. Made me run a bit quicker. My plan is similar to your plan, higher intensity shorter duration makes you feel light and ready come spring. You know there is another R&R run February 7th. Come join the fun
I didn't make it today, but friends said it was another epic muddy event.  If you ran, hope you had a great day!  I stayed closer to home and opted for a race on pavement ??

2016-02-07 4:32 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Oh, I'm exhausted, legs of lead. Totally worth it, those people (my people) are fantastic!!!. I am at the now what phase.....

Good luck to you, enjoy the adventure!!!!
2016-02-07 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Sounds great! I've been battling a cold/cough for 2 weeks and haven't run much. I warmed back up today with an easy 3 miles on pavement.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Off Season Means to You Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ohio BT Triathletes Off-Season Shennanigans

Started by twinklebug
Views: 2034 Posts: 15

2011-02-07 6:26 PM twinklebug

Help me decide between early season HIMs: Michigan or Little Smokies

Started by ahohl
Views: 1349 Posts: 20

2010-01-29 1:12 PM newbz

Official New Early Season Half Iron in Ohio

Started by Lora109
Views: 918 Posts: 4

2010-01-22 8:24 PM newbz

2010 season goals, what are you'ers?

Started by newbz
Views: 1736 Posts: 15

2009-11-12 12:33 AM keith-OG

2010 Season - Post your races, maybe-races, ideas, etc Pages: 1 2

Started by ahohl
Views: 5560 Posts: 47

2010-04-02 9:36 AM bruehoyt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : January 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on the off season, maximum amount of days one should be running, heart-rate zone testing and outdoor off season strength workouts.

date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
My body thanks me for the extra sleep and added recovery.