General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overcoming shoulder issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-01 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
London, England
Subject: Overcoming shoulder issues
Hi there,

After a few long years away, I'm trying to get back into the swing of triathlon. My big concern is my shoulder. I had an injury about 3 years ago in which I broke the head of my humerus bone (the "ball" of the ball and socket joint on my left shoulder). There was a bone chip that detached, and then reattached with a little edge sticking out, causing clear issues with the tendons in the area. Has never felt the same since, and though the soreness only comes and goes, the issue persists.

Has anybody had this type of issue? I have heard of folks having surgery to smooth out the bone, but that it can take 3-5 months to recover. I have also heard from some that simply rebuilding the muscles around it and running the standard course of intense PT will be fine.

Any thoughts welcome - thanks!

Nathan

2016-02-01 9:43 AM
in reply to: byrdnj

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Overcoming shoulder issues
It sounds like a subacromial smoothing might be right up your alley. They can do this with a minimally invasive arthroscopic procedure in most cases. I believe my ortho told me the recovery period for such was around 8-10 weeks.
2016-02-01 10:44 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Veteran
London, England
Thanks for your reply, mdg2003 - I've heard the same. I feel like the answer always depends upon which ortho I visit. I wonder, do you (or anyone) know someone who has continued swimming and the problem has gone away (either via tissue getting stronger or bone wearing down)?

I'm a big fan of non-surgical options, but you know, not always possible
2016-02-10 7:13 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Mine was torn, so I can't tell you if your spur will get better from personal experience. My injury was not allowing me to swim, so I went ahead and had it fixed.
2016-05-03 2:22 AM

Originally posted by byrdnj

Hi there,

After a few long years away, I'm trying to get back into the swing of triathlon. My big concern is my shoulder. I had an injury about 3 years ago in which I broke the head of my humerus bone (the "ball" of the ball and socket joint on my left shoulder). There was a bone chip that detached, and then reattached with a little edge sticking out, causing clear issues with the tendons in the area. Has never felt the same since, and though the soreness only comes and goes, the issue persists.

Has anybody had this type of issue? I have heard of folks having surgery to smooth out the bone, but that it can take 3-5 months to recover. I have also heard from some that simply rebuilding the muscles around it and running the standard course of intense PT will be fine.

Any thoughts welcome - thanks!

Nathan

People often don't recognize their lack of mobility until a weekend of unusual exertion leaves them with sore shoulders. There's no replacement for a professional massage therapist( http://www.oakvillechiropractic.com/services/massage-therapy/). Even though rubbing your own neck or shoulder with the opposite hand can provide temporary relief, an expert knows how to direct pressure for the best results. It is important in ensuring that you receive the best possible shoulder massage.
2016-06-07 11:21 PM
in reply to: Henrydavis

Hi Nathan,

Sorry to hear about your issue. It sounds very frustrating. Stick with it you will figure it out in no time!

I agree with your attitude about going under the knife as a last resort. For your circumstance I would think that prevention of the issue would be key.

My suggestion would be to work on the mobility of your joint, strengthen it (along with the rest of your body) and then put it through its paces. After doing your due diligence I would then make the call to go under the knife.

Before training you could do preventative strength exercises with theraband tubing. (Ex: seated rows; External rotation; Internal rotation; Shoulder abduction and adduction) After training you could use a lacrosse ball to loosen up the tissue around your shoulder, do some stretching (yoga poses are very helpful), and then ice/heat as needed.

I would do all that with some core exercises as a mainstay. A lot of times shoulder problems are created by a swimmer's tendancy to use their arms more than their core in their stroke. Being able to use your core while you swim is key!

I hope that helps and please keep us informed about what steps you take towards your recovery.

Chad Castillo
[email protected]

2016-06-22 7:04 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by mdg2003 It sounds like a subacromial smoothing might be right up your alley. They can do this with a minimally invasive arthroscopic procedure in most cases. I believe my ortho told me the recovery period for such was around 8-10 weeks.

i had subacromial smoothing done last summer. Surgeon also manually manipulated the shoulder to break up scar tissue and removed hardware from prior repair  of proximal humerus fracture. Recovery was pretty fast.. 2 days off work and I was working on mobility recovery right away. once the stitches were out at 2 weeks (I had a significant incision from prior surgery anfd the hardware removal) I could do anything up I wanted. If you just need the bone chip cleaned up its a pretty simple procedure done via arthroscope. I'd see a good shoulder surgeon and trust their advice re what to reasonably expect in terms of improvement and then decide. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overcoming shoulder issues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Level 3 Ruptured AC in Shoulder (aka Shoulder Seperation)

Started by cannastar
Views: 3599 Posts: 9

2010-08-25 12:23 PM pdbman

Shoulder/chest issue

Started by fgray
Views: 956 Posts: 2

2009-01-13 10:31 AM kbernosk

Anyone train with shoulder issues?

Started by runspingirl
Views: 1377 Posts: 9

2008-10-20 4:49 AM pamiejane

Shoulder Exercises for Shoulder Separation (AC separation)

Started by oceanannie
Views: 734 Posts: 1

2008-06-22 11:08 PM oceanannie

Shoulder issues

Started by triOK
Views: 648 Posts: 2

2006-08-23 7:49 AM gair70.3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : April 24, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : February 6, 2012
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery
date : July 15, 2008
I get a very bad shoulder pain (left side only) when on the bike for over 45 minutes. The pain seems to be between my shoulder blades but only on the left side.

date : April 17, 2005
Often I also see an imbalance in the front muscles of the shoulder, such as the pectoralis, and the back muscles, such as the rotator cuff and shoulder blade stabilizers. I would recommend: