General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are transition bags worth it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-15 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Are transition bags worth it?
I usually throw all of my stuff in a reusable grocery bag - but it's pretty akward riding to the transition area. I see people riding by with nice transition bags and am starting to think I should splurge on one.

If you have one is it worth it? Any particular features to look for?

If you have something else that works well for you- what's your system?

2016-02-15 5:49 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Are transition bags worth it?
I think whatever works for you is fine. In the long list of items that you could purchase for triathlon, the transition bag is probably low on the priority list. I'm starting my seventh year of triathlon and this past Xmas I received a transition bag as a gift. I think the biggest features would be a "wet" compartment for your wetsuit, and some way to attach a helmet.
2016-02-15 8:08 PM

It's a nice convenience, especially at events where parking is not close to transition and you want to ride your bike instead of walk.

2016-02-15 9:23 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Extreme Veteran
I like mine. It can be used duffle bag style, or thrown onto my back like a backpack, great if you are on a bike.

Having the separated areas is nice, especially the wet area for wetsuits/goggles etc. Shoe compartment is nice too. Mine has a transition mat, haven't used it, as I prefer a towel.

Otherwise it's about quality, trying to make sure it will last.

FWIW I got my bag free at a race, ( EVOC though, not a throw away bag ) and until then used a duffel bag that I use in much the same way.
2016-02-15 11:04 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I have a several different Ironman branded bags purchased or given to me over the years.  PM me an address and I'll send you one. I could do with less bags. And you sound like you could do with +1.

2016-02-16 2:42 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Originally posted by brucemorgan

I have a several different Ironman branded bags purchased or given to me over the years.  PM me an address and I'll send you one. I could do with less bags. And you sound like you could do with +1.

If we had a 'star of the week' award......

2016-02-16 5:53 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Originally posted by ziggie204

It's a nice convenience, especially at events where parking is not close to transition and you want to ride your bike instead of walk.

x2. I had a race last summer where I rode almost a mile to get to the start.
2016-02-16 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I use mine, every week, training. I have an older Desoto bag. It doesn't have two features (unless I'm doing it wrong) I'd get, if I were looking for a new one:

1. Helmet storage.......though.....if you're riding your bike to transition, you'd better have it on your head (or risk a DQ).

2. Pump straps. I wish mine had a place to attach my pump.

We do a swim/bike/run training session, every Sat. I also use it to go to Wed. trainer rides (to store clothing/Garmin/drink/etc...). I think I paid $70 for it, used, on Ebay. It was in like-new condition.
2016-02-16 9:43 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Many years ago, I bought a super nice transition bag with all of the compartments and bells and whistles. I think I've used it twice. It's WAY too big and overkill for my needs. Even in an Ironman - where they assign you separate bags, eliminating the need for an all-in-one product. Maybe at the half iron distance, one that is wetsuit legal where I could use the wet compartment, I think I've used it for one of those. But even then just a regular ol' drawstring bag suits my needs - I can wear a drawstring bag like a backpack, throw my helmet on and ride my bike to a 70.3 transition with no issues. Throw in a Wal-Mart plastic sack if you really need to separate wet from dry (is anything dry at the end of a race??). I've learned over the years for me, simple is better.

Now, I use the transition bag for (non-triathlon) traveling. If I could go back, I wouldn't purchase it.

2016-02-16 9:43 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Thank You! That is so kind! I will send you a PM!

2016-02-16 9:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by Moonrocket

I usually throw all of my stuff in a reusable grocery bag - but it's pretty akward riding to the transition area. I see people riding by with nice transition bags and am starting to think I should splurge on one.

If you have one is it worth it? Any particular features to look for?
If you have something else that works well for you- what's your system?

I use a handy day pack like this, it's made by camelbak.

And there are some great transition bags out there. However, most any large day pack with at least a few internal or external pockets (for organization) plus some exterior straps (for a wet wetsuit or whatever) will work fine. You definitely want something that you can carry on your back via shoulder straps. If you need the pockets or exterior straps, head over to your local REI and they have a whole range of stuff sacks and straps for very reasonable prices that you can add to most any small pack.

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2016-02-16 9:49 AM

2016-02-16 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks everyone!

I like to race the Xterra off-road races- where often parking can be pretty far and connected to transition by a single track path- so I need to stop having stuff bounce out of my shopping bag on the ride :-)

The main reason I started thinking about it though- was to keep all of my stuff better organized. Last year I totally forgot about a pair of shoes and a sweatshirt I put by the fence while getting ready for the swim and left without them (I was pretty tired after the race :-). I contacted the race directors but they didn't remember anything. So- this is part of making it easier on myself after the race when I might not be as detail oriented as I was in the morning.
2016-02-16 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Like a couple of others here, I have way too many bags.
But, I use a few of them.

I use one for swim training - both pool and when we do, OWS. That's all that bag gets used for.

I have another bag for bike/run BRics or just bike pain cave stuff.

Then, I have a transition bag that I use for races. I can then decide what goes in for what race.
It's something I sling over my shoulder like a backpack, it has enough space for wetsuit and helmet and hydration.
It's been working since day 1, so .. That bag is make by garneau.

But I seriously have way too many bags.
2016-02-16 11:49 AM

Augusta, Georgia
They are definitely nice to have and if you have the money, I would recommend getting one, as they keep everything more organized. If you don't have the money though, do whatever is comfortable and reasonable for you.
2016-02-16 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Thanks everyone!

I like to race the Xterra off-road races- where often parking can be pretty far and connected to transition by a single track path- so I need to stop having stuff bounce out of my shopping bag on the ride :-)

The main reason I started thinking about it though- was to keep all of my stuff better organized. Last year I totally forgot about a pair of shoes and a sweatshirt I put by the fence while getting ready for the swim and left without them (I was pretty tired after the race :-). I contacted the race directors but they didn't remember anything. So- this is part of making it easier on myself after the race when I might not be as detail oriented as I was in the morning.

IME riding to XTERRA races just required a simple bag with shoulder straps. Usually I have used the bag they gave us from packet pickup.
I wouldn't get anything large / fancy since it will clutter up your transition area. You'll be wearing most of what you need anyway, except for the run & swim. Some stuff fits in my camelbak too.
2016-02-16 4:28 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Just about any bag will do, but I have one and really like it. I use it also as my gym bag and just keep swim trunks/goggles/water bottle and everything else I need in one place.

Recommend watching the Ironman online store clearance for race-specific ones that don't sell well and grab one for cheap.

2016-02-17 4:20 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

My only advice is that too many pockets are just as bad as none. I've stowed things away so carefully I don't find them for years.  I had a TYR transition bag with mesh divider pockets on the inside. I eventually just cut them out.  I personally prefer a simple backpack plus some plastic bags for things as needed.  I put phone and keys in a plastic bag since transition can get wet, it can rain, etc.   If i will need dry clothes for after, I put that in a plastic bag at the bottom.  Other than that, it's all race related stuff that comes out for race time, so doesn't need to be separated.

2016-02-18 12:23 PM

User image

Instead of a purpose-made "transition bag", I just use a waterproof duffel bag. Bright yellow, for those occasions where there's room to keep it with my stuff (easy to spot in transition). It opens wide so everything is easy to find, and it has backpack straps -- which helps if the parking area is bike-riding rather than walking distance from the transition area. In the off-season, I store my race stuff in it.
2016-02-19 11:44 AM
in reply to: surroundhound

User image

I personally use a $20 backpack from Costco. It has 2 large pockets (one separated by a laptop divider), 1 medium pocket, 1 small pocket, and a water bottle pocket. I have a pre-race checkist; the OCD in me led me to adding the location of each item within the backpack to the checklist. I then attach one of the cheap swag bags with my wetsuit to the outside. I find it's been very useful.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are transition bags worth it? Rss Feed