General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mouth guards while biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-17 4:24 PM

New user

Farmington Hills, Michigan
Subject: Mouth guards while biking
I've been reading on and off the discussion of the use of mouth guards for the biking part of the tri.

Seeing that I have been getting more work on my teeth than usual as I'm getting older, this is not a bad idea. In fact, I'm considering testing it out to find out how it feels, how it effects breathing, etc.

What are your views on it?

2016-02-17 4:45 PM
in reply to: sbyrstall

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Mouth guards while biking
Never heard of anyone using on a road bike...

Maybe BMX or Downhill Mtb...
2016-02-17 4:56 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Pro

I have no idea if it's feasible.....but I watched a crash in a Jr. girls race in Des Moines 2 years ago that left 7 teeth on the ground between 2 girls.  Until now I never even considered it. 

2016-02-17 5:16 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I actually listened to a podcast with a PT that specializes in body alignment, movement patterns and power production. He said that if you can get the jaw positioned right and have a mouth guard that keeps it in this position, power can be increased in measurable watts. They had the same cyclists ride with and without the mouth guard and power was definitely more with the mouth guard in. I don't have the details but I remember that fact sticking out to me!
Makes sense if you think about it, from the fact of spinal alignment from the brain to working muscles and how tweaked our position can be in aero or in the drops.
AND in a crash it would provide a little protection as well! Interesting!
2016-02-18 8:42 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

New user

There has been a few papers written about it.

Bicycling referenced an article about this topic.
http://www.bicycling.com/training/fitness/could-mouthguard-make-rid...

i went to the site and found this paper on it. I just wish I could read the whole article. I might have to go to my local university and see if I can find this paper.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25226314
2016-02-18 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Honestly I'd never even considered it or heard it brought up until this post. If the current ones are anything like the ones we used to use in football, at first you will feel like it is screwing with your breathing but after a little while you don't even notice it anymore.

I've only been in one crash thusfar (knock on wood) and my helmet and shoulder took the brunt of it. I could see some utility in considering using one, though.

2016-02-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I've never heard of it until this post either.  I didn't take a look at the paper but I imagine the gains that could be made are minimal compared to the few pounds I could afford to lose. 

That being said, I can understand the safety application of it, but I have never been in a crash (knock on wood).  However I tend to clench my teeth, especially during tough sprints/hills/etc..  Wonder how it would affect that. 

2016-02-18 9:32 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Justin86

I've never heard of it until this post either.  I didn't take a look at the paper but I imagine the gains that could be made are minimal compared to the few pounds I could afford to lose. 

That being said, I can understand the safety application of it, but I have never been in a crash (knock on wood).  However I tend to clench my teeth, especially during tough sprints/hills/etc..  Wonder how it would affect that. 

That's what I was thinking! I clench up my teeth something fierce, and know that can't be good for either the teeth themselves or my tension level overall. I wonder how a mouthguard with change things up.
2016-02-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

I have no idea if it's feasible.....but I watched a crash in a Jr. girls race in Des Moines 2 years ago that left 7 teeth on the ground between 2 girls.  Until now I never even considered it. 

If you're hitting the ground that hard I kinda doubt a mouthguard is going to offer much if any protection (if that's the worry

2016-02-18 12:21 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChrisM

If you're hitting the ground that hard I kinda doubt a mouthguard is going to offer much if any protection (if that's the worry

No doubt. 

I'm not worried.......teeth can be replaced.

2016-02-18 12:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

No doubt. 

I'm not worried.......teeth can be replaced.

Or not if you want to mess with your competitors.....

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (42KB - 9 downloads)

2016-02-18 6:15 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

New user

Originally posted by Atlantia

Originally posted by Justin86

That's what I was thinking! I clench up my teeth something fierce, and know that can't be good for either the teeth themselves or my tension level overall. I wonder how a mouthguard with change things up.

I'm thinking that the guard helps reduce some of the tension on the face.
2016-02-19 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

There are mouthguards that are designed to help align the jaw. One that I know of is the Under Armour ArmourBite mouthpiece. I've used it before for training. It's discrete and sits on the lower teeth, so when you bite down it keeps space between your teeth.

Here's a link if you want to check it out https://store.bitetech.com/armourbite-mouthpiece-p3.aspx

Edited by almagz 2016-02-19 8:43 AM
2016-02-21 9:09 PM

User image

Master
I'm from South Carolina so I can assure you, teeth are over-rate. Once you loose your second set you can find a new set at the flea-market pretty cheap. Just use plenty of Polygrip to hold them in
2016-02-21 9:23 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Thats 95% of the NHL
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mouth guards while biking Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

cattle guards on the bike portion of a duathlon

Started by craig002
Views: 2130 Posts: 15

2009-03-27 11:11 PM jeffnboise

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1851 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Swimming: Breath through mouth or nose?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 4214 Posts: 7

2004-10-04 8:11 PM CptnJackSparrow

From the mouths of babes

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1067 Posts: 18

2004-08-24 2:18 PM TriMom217

A closed mouth gathers no feet Pages: 1 2

Started by wrybosome
Views: 2034 Posts: 26

2004-03-13 9:34 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Keeping your bike from being damaged on the trainer

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 12, 2011
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.