General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Posterior Tibial Tendon injury - any experience? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-21 2:06 PM

Subject: Posterior Tibial Tendon injury - any experience?
Hurt mine almost 3 weeks ago doing a high knees exercise in a boot camp class at one of those heart rate training chain places (I do not recommend joining one - I joined as an alternative to swimming, stationary cycling and rowing indoors and was injured on my 3-4 class doing an exercise that they admitted was dangerous - high knees with a resistance band trying to pull me backwards. Now I regret joining). My foot landed wrong and ankle rolled out. It made the most disgusting series of pops. I stopped, went home, iced it 4x's a day, rested and took lots of Advil. Saw the doc as soon as I could (3 days later).

Doc x-rayed and I guess didn't see any kind of damage on the x-ray. Said I probably jammed the tendon and offered me a boot to wear for 4 weeks. They said I could keep exercising, but not to go crazy (rowing, swimming, upper body...found swimming hurt it unless I use a buoy, also found easy stationary cycling is ok). However, I've backed off to very little and I just try to sit a lot when I don't have to go somewhere so I can rest it.

I'm finding that the pain is still as bad as when I hurt it. No bruising, but swelling on the inside and outside of my ankle. Pain into my arch. No way I will be out of the boot after 4 weeks. Follow-up appointment is scheduled for 6 weeks out, but I'm considering asking to move up to 4 weeks because I'm worried the tendon is torn and they will want to do a MRI and maybe surgery.

For anyone who has had this kind of injury, does my description sound like it's more severe than the diagnosis? I've seen a number of people in forums say they finished their season with this kind of injury - I can't even walk using that foot (without the boot), so I definitely could not run or do anything causing impact. I've had a number of injuries and this is one of the worst in terms of pain. If needing surgery, I want to do that sooner rather than later so I'm healed up by June 1.

2016-04-01 7:35 AM
in reply to: fitnesskelly

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: Posterior Tibial Tendon injury - any experience?
MRi would be good to follow up with on this issue. I have tarsal tunnel with pinching on the PTT. I've had a couple of injections as well. My pain goes into my arch too. You might want to read up on it and see if you have similar symptoms. This is a sucky injury good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Posterior Tibial Tendon injury - any experience? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Posterior Tibial Tendon Damage

Started by gcirongirl
Views: 936 Posts: 1

2010-08-05 7:57 PM gcirongirl

Posterior Tibial Tendonitis -anyone?

Started by suzimmer
Views: 939 Posts: 1

2009-05-05 8:11 PM suzimmer

Running with posterior tibial tendonitis

Started by Tarbs
Views: 904 Posts: 1

2009-04-14 5:53 PM Tarbs

Posterior tibial dysfunction

Started by provemwrong
Views: 1006 Posts: 2

2008-02-21 7:25 PM sue7013

Posterior tibial tendon tear

Started by Beth426
Views: 1269 Posts: 5

2008-02-23 2:20 PM Cyclingmaniac
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
*The past few weeks I have had this dull, sometimes sharp pain around my ankle. It's on the front of my ankle (which is weird). I get the most pain when swimming.

date : January 25, 2013
This article covers a variety of injuries that can lead to knee pain.
date : November 12, 2012
comments : 2
The diagnosis, treatment and prevention of posterior tibial tendonitis.

date : December 9, 2010
comments : 2
Information on how long the risk of tendon rupture persists after levofloxacin use is hard to find. Tendon rupture could occur as early as a few hours to as late as six months after the initial dose.
date : October 11, 2010
Are you on a course of antibiotics? A certain class of antibiotics, the quinolones, may put you at risk for increased incidence of tendon injury.

date : November 4, 2007
comments : 0
I've been told I have laxity in my tendons which sets me up to be more prone to overuse injuries. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate my chronic achilles pain?