General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Book recommendaions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-22 10:05 PM

User image

, California
Subject: Running Book recommendaions

Hello,

I am beginning to run again coming back from an achilles injury and am looking for a good book on running basics. Since I am at the beginning of training once again, I want to make sure I do it right, prevent injuries while building my distance. Reading books also seems to keep me motivated since I can immerse myself in the process.

Any help is greatly appreciated

2016-02-23 10:20 AM
in reply to: MamacitaT

User image

Regular
Georgia
Subject: RE: Running Book recommendaions
A couple of years ago I was coming off a high achilles strain. Like you, I wanted to make sure I was doing things right. There are lots of books on running with lots of different approaches. How do you tell which is right for you? I found a running coach with a good reputation in my area.
After talking with him by phone and listening to his process, I was comfortable in investing in a short program to evaluate my running, correct any errors and reevaluate a few weeks later ( after I had time to imprint the new corrections). He told me up front that most running form errors were very minor but could have huge benefits if corrected. He stressed that this was for injury prevention and efficiency, not immediate speed increase. Speed comes with consistent training without pain or injury. It wasn't cheap but it was fairly priced for one on one training. I believe I got my money's worth and then some. Now, 4 years later, I start every run going through his recommendations in my head and reviewing them every time I feel my form start to slack. I encourage you to read all you can. It will help you to better understand and relate to coaching suggestions. In the end, only a knowledgable running coach can help you with your specific issues by direct observation. I'm an old guy with limited running ahead of me. I think a short period with a coach would really help a younger person because they could enjoy the benefits much longer.
2016-02-23 11:38 AM
in reply to: Skyhawk

User image

, California

Thank you Skyhawk for the information. I too am an older runner with limited years ahead of me. That is why injury prevention is so important at this point. I will ask about a coach from our local running shop.

2016-02-23 8:06 PM
in reply to: MamacitaT

I'm a big fan of Jay Dicharry and his book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMLFSHM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?...

It's a great book if you can get past the disorganization. The book needs an editor. My good friend and training partner is a PT and he agrees with most of what Jay has to say. A lot of the info you can find on his website/blog: http://anathletesbody.com/

This book sounds good too: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Jordan-Metzls-Running-Strong/dp/1623364590...

I've never read it, but I've read a lot of Dr. Metzl's articles in runner's world. I think he as good advise.

I would also recommend a gait analysis to see if you have any major biomechanical issues. I was chronically injured due to overstriding. After working with my PT friend and reading books like the one I mentioned, I've only had minor injuries. It did take a while to change my gait.
2016-02-23 9:27 PM
in reply to: hubcaps

Scottsdale, AZ
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Book recommendaions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Book Club: suggested reads, reviews, book exchange Pages: 1 2

Started by HonoluluAngel
Views: 3823 Posts: 27

2015-01-16 9:46 PM ponyup

Good training books for Tri and marathon/ultra running

Started by kellc09
Views: 2135 Posts: 7

2008-07-30 8:42 PM Gerrard

BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS, I LOVE TO READ BOOKS..........

Started by newadventures
Views: 1322 Posts: 15

2006-05-25 11:30 AM newadventures

Just picked up Chi Running book...

Started by bmax
Views: 1164 Posts: 12

2005-04-30 2:10 PM hjmiii

Best running book????????

Started by satchmo72
Views: 523 Posts: 4

2004-09-27 9:14 PM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Resources you can trust to improve your endurance sport diet
date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : December 11, 2007
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : January 29, 2006
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.