General Discussion Race Reports! » MetaSprint Series Singapore Aquathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MetaSprint Series Singapore Aquathlon - Sprint Course - Aquathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sentosa,
Singapore
MetaSport
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 52s
Overall Rank = 5/211
Age Group = W 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/22
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 5:30, two Mojo bars and coffee, taxi to race venue.
Event warmup:

Ran for about 20 minutes total as back and hamstrings felt a bit tight. Ten minutes easy running and 10 minutes with some strides. Swim warmup only 4-5 minutes as they told us to get out so as not to "bother" the elite men's and women's start. (I was in the next wave.)
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 13m 34s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim was 32 seconds faster than when I won this race in 2012, on the same course in similar conditions, but overall placing much worse. I think due to a lot of very strong juniors moving up to the senior race in 16-19. I didn't get off to a great start--I'm just not that fast. But was in the clear without too much struggle (I was in a wave with only 40+ women as the RD turned down my request to race "elite") and ahead of all but one woman in 40-44 and one in 45-49, who were over a minute ahead. Just outclassed from the get-go. This meant I had no one to draft off of (at least for the last 3/4 of the swim) and also couldn't see anyone on the run.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Try to get a faster start and draft the women in front? Not sure I could keep up that pace and have a strong run, though. Considering the time spent running, that is close to 12 minutes for 750m and pretty much all-out for me at my current fitness for a swim-only TT. I think I could have pushed it a bit harder if someone had been close enough in front to draft or catch on the remainder of the swim, but probably not as fast as the first two women in the wave.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

I think wearing socks definitely slowed me down, though actually my transition was only three seconds slower than four years ago, when I DIDN'T wear socks. But very average for the field. I did try to do some runs in my race shoes without socks but it was very uncomfortable; also have a bone spur on one heel that makes it difficult for me to pull on the shoes without socks. (Doesn't bother me otherwise; have had it for decades.) The year I won, I did without socks but blistered badly; couldn't afford to do that due to upcoming field trip with lots of hiking.

Maybe try to find some racing flats I can wear without socks for 5K?
Run
  • 21m 3s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 13s  min/km
Comments:

Felt strong the whole way but not very fast. I was coming off a big training week with only two light days before the race so probably to be expected. There were only two points where I could see the women ahead of me. The first time (at about 1 km) I could see that they were more than 1:30 ahead; the second time (around 3 km) I could see that I had made up quite a bit on the woman in 40-44 (ended up catching her with about 400m to go) and maybe only 20 seconds on the woman in my AG. But somehow ended up only 15 seconds back of her at the finish--she must have faded badly in the final 2K.

I really feel like I would have had a stronger run with people to chase/be chased by in the elite wave. Given the level of fatigue I had coming into the race, and a HIM focus, that would probably be the only thing that might have pushed me to run just a bit harder.
Post race
Warm down:

I was planning to jog for about 10 minutes but it was getting hot and there wasn't much time before awards, Jogged for about 3 minutes to the next beach over and saw that it was nearly deserted although the lifeguards were out and they said it was fine to swim. So I took off my shoes, put on cap and goggles, and swam for about 15 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being in the elite wave. I think it was really unfair. "Elite" in Singapore generally means you have a good chance to place in the top 10. I was 5th, nearly 4th. The seeding was based partly on results in last year's series (I couldn't go owing to work commttments) with some spots awarded on an "at large" basis. There were about 20 women in elite. My AG rival also requested elite seeding and was turned down. We both believe we were turned down because of our age (I'm 46). We said, "Revenge of the old ladies!" at the start to each other and indeed it was. We finished ahead of all but the first three women and both beat the winners of the 35-39 and 40-44 age groups.

Aside from that, probably some cumulative fatigue from training and some very stressful events at school over the past week, plus simply focusing on longer events, kept me from performing at my peak.

Event comments:

This series is very well-organized and particularly beginner-friendly, but they have gotten stingy over the years with prizes (they have given the same sunglasses as AG prizes for about half a decade now!) and post-race food. I'm also getting sick of this "elite wave" business. (For my last race with them, I was put in the elite wave, but they cancelled it the day of the race "because there aren't enough people" and made the 40+ women start last, after all the men, and I spent the ENTIRE SWIM trying to pass and being kicked in the face by guys). I really feel that my AG rival and I were discriminated against due to our age and not training with the sponsoring organization.

Last updated: 2016-02-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/211
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:13:34 | 750 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/22
Overall: 23/211
Performance: Good
Includes some time to run around a cone between laps 1 and 2 and some run to the timing mat. About 13 minutes of swimming. Pretty even splits per lap as I was at 6:30 something when I stood up the first time.
Suit: 2XU Comp trisuit
Course: Two out and back loops of an approximately 185m course in the bay at Palawan Beach at Sentosa. There are basically four "lanes" that one goes up, down, up, then down again. Like a pool tri, but in "open" water. Very little current; didn't notice it at all on first loop, just a little when outbound on second loop. The bay is very sheltered.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  01:15
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:21:03 | 05 kms | 04m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 1/22
Overall: 4/211
Performance: Good
Don't remember any splits. Just tried to run hard and make up time on the other two women who were ahead and stay ahead of the younger women who started five minutes behind me.
Course: A short loop in one direction and then a longer loop in the other direction. Winding, mostly shaded road and running path on Sentosa. Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-02-28 6:59 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: MetaSprint Series Singapore Aquathlon - Sprint Course

2016-02-28 8:50 AM
in reply to: #5169534

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: MetaSprint Series Singapore Aquathlon - Sprint Course
Every race has its challenges and despite the issues with the wave start its seems that you had a great race. Next year I am sure you can petition that you should be in the elite wave based on your previous years results and do even better.
2016-02-29 2:41 PM

User image

Nice job!

2016-02-29 3:13 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Revenge of the 'old' ladies indeed!  Nice work!

2016-03-02 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Congrats to you and the other Old Lady for showing them you ARE a contender.

I love that you went for a run/swim after the race.

2016-03-07 11:23 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Awesome!  And while you definitely got your revenge, and in high style, hard for me to think of you as "old." 

Congrats on a great race.

Matt

2016-03-07 2:47 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando

Way to get your revenge! congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MetaSprint Series Singapore Aquathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Aquathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Mel Matthew
Views: 934 Posts: 1

2014-02-16 8:06 PM Mel Matthew

metasprint series duathlon - sprint course

Started by RedBelli
Views: 857 Posts: 1

2013-03-25 5:56 AM RedBelli

New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Aquathlon - Sprint Course

Started by crab68
Views: 886 Posts: 1

2013-02-25 7:05 AM crab68

Singapore Sprint Series Aquathlon

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 1118 Posts: 2

2012-02-20 7:28 AM TriAya

Singapore Sprint Series - Aquathlon

Started by IndoBecky
Views: 1057 Posts: 2

2011-03-03 2:24 AM minicar
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.