General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedals for road and CX/Gravel? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2016-03-02 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Pedals for road and CX/Gravel?

I'm looking for opinions on pedals that are seamless or close to it regarding ride quality on the road and then gravel, trails etc.

I currently use 105's and have for years but I'm dabbling into gravel riding and will need a new system (pedals, cleats, shoes) and I'd prefer to use the new pedals/cleats for all riding if that's possible.

Thank you.

2016-03-02 10:46 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Subject: RE: Pedals for road and CX/Gravel?
The suggested pedals will depend on:

What kind of shoes do you plan to use? Somewhat walkable mountain bike shoes, or non walkable road bike shoes?

Will you be using your gravel bike for other riding like errands or commuting? I use my MCX bike for lots of riding but also for lots of errands, so I use pedals like this, they are not super light but they work great and they are super versatile. Shimano makes a good version and Wellgo makes an equally decent but less expensive version.

2016-03-02 11:03 AM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks The suggested pedals will depend on: What kind of shoes do you plan to use? Somewhat walkable mountain bike shoes, or non walkable road bike shoes? Will you be using your gravel bike for other riding like errands or commuting? I use my MCX bike for lots of riding but also for lots of errands, so I use pedals like this, they are not super light but they work great and they are super versatile. Shimano makes a good version and Wellgo makes an equally decent but less expensive version.

I'm doing the research to see if it's even possible to use walkable mtn bike shoes and non-walkable road shoes all with the same pedals on the CX bike .  

It's not an errand bike, it's a SS and I've been exclusively using it on the road.  I'll swap out the tires to gravel/CX for my training and race, then likely switch back to slicks for the road...

My approach is to understand the options rather than force it to all work.  If it's best to have a road system and a different gravel system then that's likely what I'll do. I'm just trying to manage costs as this gravel race I'm looking at is more for the experience than a change in riding.  I really prefer the road...

Thanks.

2016-03-02 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Well, it sounds from your description that you could easily use another set of 105 road pedals and your existing road shoes on your gravel bike. As long as you don't end up dismounting and walking much. Which happens more on gravel roads/paths than in typical road riding. Just take an assessment of the areas/roads/gravel roads/trails where you will be taking your gravel bike and perhaps decide based on that.

2016-03-02 11:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Check out Crank Brothers pedals. I recommend either the Eggbeaters or the Candy's. The pedals use 2 hole cleats (SPD type) that will fit directly on mountain bike and touring shoes. Crank Brothers also makes an adapter for road shoes (Look style - 3 hole) that works with their pedals.

Links:

Crank Brothers Website:
www.crankbrothers.com

3 hole cleat adapter:
https://www.crankbrothers.com/accessories_3hole-cleats

Edited by mobey 2016-03-02 11:19 AM
2016-03-02 11:20 AM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks Well, it sounds from your description that you could easily use another set of 105 road pedals and your existing road shoes on your gravel bike. As long as you don't end up dismounting and walking much. Which happens more on gravel roads/paths than in typical road riding. Just take an assessment of the areas/roads/gravel roads/trails where you will be taking your gravel bike and perhaps decide based on that.

I was heading down that path (no pun intended ) however I was advised that I shouldn't use road shoes/cleats on this gravel course which is how I got to this point of gathering advice...  Apparently it's a combination of the sheer number of racers (3K) and the difficulty of a few sections that causes a fair amount of dismounting...

Thank you

2016-03-02 11:30 AM
in reply to: mobey

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by mobey Check out Crank Brothers pedals. I recommend either the Eggbeaters or the Candy's. The pedals use 2 hole cleats (SPD type) that will fit directly on mountain bike and touring shoes. Crank Brothers also makes an adapter for road shoes (Look style - 3 hole) that works with their pedals. Links: Crank Brothers Website: www.crankbrothers.com 3 hole cleat adapter: https://www.crankbrothers.com/accessories_3hole-cleats

What level of "play" do you get (if any) with the eggbeaters and candy's?  With my 105's I have a little bit which I occasionally will utilize as I'm riding... 

Do you do what I'm proposing to do, using the same pedals/cleats for road and CX/gravel?  Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not necessarily looking to force the issue, I just want to be practical in my purchases as this was to be the season I spent the bigger dollars on new road shoes, I wasn't planning for a pedal, cleat and mtn bike shoe purchase too...

2016-03-02 11:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Both the Eggbeaters and the Candy's have 6 degrees of float. If you're using Shimano's yellow cleats, you have 6 degrees of float with the 105's.

I use Candy's for CX and mountain. A few years ago, Crank Brothers made a road specific pedal (very similar to the Candy), and I used it for a couple of years. I'm on Ultegra road pedals now.

You can find Crank Brothers pedals at deep discounts from time to time at Nashbar.

Edited by mobey 2016-03-02 11:53 AM
2016-03-02 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by mobey Both the Eggbeaters and the Candy's have 6 degrees of float. If you're using Shimano's yellow cleats, you have 6 degrees of float with the 105's. I use Candy's for CX and mountain. A few years ago, Crank Brothers made a road specific pedal (very similar to the Candy), and I used it for a couple of years. I'm on Ultegra road pedals now. You can find Crank Brothers pedals at deep discounts from time to time at Nashbar.

Those are my cleats and that's the type of information I was looking for!!  

Now what's the best low cost mountain biking shoe???  

2016-03-02 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Check Nashbar for shoes too...they have an additional 20% off sale going on right now.

For me, the "best" shoe is the one that fits my narrow foot. I used to wear Sidi shoes, but in the past couple of years, I've switched to Giro road and mountain shoes.
2016-03-02 12:33 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by mobey

Check out Crank Brothers pedals. I recommend either the Eggbeaters or the Candy's. The pedals use 2 hole cleats (SPD type) that will fit directly on mountain bike and touring shoes. Crank Brothers also makes an adapter for road shoes (Look style - 3 hole) that works with their pedals.

Links:

Crank Brothers Website:
www.crankbrothers.com

3 hole cleat adapter:

My main bike is a CX bike. I have a trek boone thats set up for road primarily and I can swap the tires when I want to gravel grind or for cx season. It came with crank brother candy pedals and I like them. I don't notice a comfort difference between those and my look carbon pedals. I love being able to walk around quasi normal with mountain bike shoes! I could easily swap to my other pedals, but I prefer these for training. I think if you are a weight weenie though its easier to shed grams w/ road shoes/pedals.

2016-03-02 3:09 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I've converted completely over to SPD pedals, the MTB type (double-sided on the gravel and MTB, single-sided Wellgo's on the road). The main issue is finding road shoes that are compatible with the 2-bolt cleat pattern (same issue you'll have with the Eggbeaters).

2016-03-02 5:49 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by briderdt

I've converted completely over to SPD pedals, the MTB type (double-sided on the gravel and MTB, single-sided Wellgo's on the road). The main issue is finding road shoes that are compatible with the 2-bolt cleat pattern (same issue you'll have with the Eggbeaters).

I've gone back to SPD too. Really haven't had issues that others seem to come up with.

2016-03-02 6:23 PM
in reply to: #5170065

I use shimano a-530 pedals, which cost $30 and have a spd side and flat side. I bought Mtn shoes for $50, and use that setup for road/commuting/meetup at the bars, etc. For you if you are set on changing from the 105s then I'd consider something like this, otherwise I'd just rock with what you have. $80 all in for an alternate setup ain't bad to me though.
2016-03-03 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN

Take a look at this adapter to convert 3 hole road shoes to 2 holes:

3 hole cleat adapter:
2016-03-03 8:46 AM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by ilikepizza I use shimano a-530 pedals, which cost $30 and have a spd side and flat side. I bought Mtn shoes for $50, and use that setup for road/commuting/meetup at the bars, etc. For you if you are set on changing from the 105s then I'd consider something like this, otherwise I'd just rock with what you have. $80 all in for an alternate setup ain't bad to me though.

This is the conclusion I've come to based on all the feedback here and elsewhere.  I'll keep my 105's and road setup, then I'm leaning towards eggbeaters with some inexpensive mountain bike shoes.

And speaking of eggbeaters, I see on the crank brothers site their models range from ~$60 to $450.  Is there anything inherently bad about the low end models?  I'm not looking for top end at all as gravel will be a new style of riding and likely not one I'll do most of the year, just early spring and late fall...

Thanks.

2016-03-03 8:52 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by ilikepizza I use shimano a-530 pedals, which cost $30 and have a spd side and flat side. I bought Mtn shoes for $50, and use that setup for road/commuting/meetup at the bars, etc. For you if you are set on changing from the 105s then I'd consider something like this, otherwise I'd just rock with what you have. $80 all in for an alternate setup ain't bad to me though.

This is the conclusion I've come to based on all the feedback here and elsewhere.  I'll keep my 105's and road setup, then I'm leaning towards eggbeaters with some inexpensive mountain bike shoes.

And speaking of eggbeaters, I see on the crank brothers site their models range from ~$60 to $450.  Is there anything inherently bad about the low end models?  I'm not looking for top end at all as gravel will be a new style of riding and likely not one I'll do most of the year, just early spring and late fall...

Thanks.

Their high end ones shave a few grams and are made out of really expensive materials. I'm not sure if there are any other differences. I think the prices are close enough between the 1's, 2's, and 3's to where you should just go for the color you like best or the cheapest ones.
2016-03-03 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'll keep my 105's and road setup, then I'm leaning towards eggbeaters with some inexpensive mountain bike shoes.

I did a race last year that featured a good bit of gravel.  Because of this, I swapped my speedplay pedals and road shoes for my shimano SPD pedals and MTB shoes.  While they worked, I noticed pretty quickly that my lower end MTB shoes have way more flex than my carbon road shoes.  I never notice it when I'm on the singletrack trails, but in a road race where I'm really applying power I noticed it a good bit.  I decided that I would swap cleats on the shoes next time should I race something like that again.

It's something to keep in mind at least.

2016-03-03 2:00 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by msteiner

I'll keep my 105's and road setup, then I'm leaning towards eggbeaters with some inexpensive mountain bike shoes.

I did a race last year that featured a good bit of gravel.  Because of this, I swapped my speedplay pedals and road shoes for my shimano SPD pedals and MTB shoes.  While they worked, I noticed pretty quickly that my lower end MTB shoes have way more flex than my carbon road shoes.  I never notice it when I'm on the singletrack trails, but in a road race where I'm really applying power I noticed it a good bit.  I decided that I would swap cleats on the shoes next time should I race something like that again.

It's something to keep in mind at least.

You bring up a good point.  I guess it's picking the lesser of two evils depending on the course conditions... I don't necessarily want all the flexion of a lower end mtn bike shoe when I'm hammering the pedals however I also can't envision walking in my road shoes, even if I do go with eggbeater/crank brother cleats...

Unfortunately I'm hearing a mix of opinions on the course I'm looking to race and what type of riders typically are dismounting to walk up the hills.  One friend says the majority of riders walk several sections of a series of 3 hills early in the race.  Another says it's only the riders who really don't have the experience and/or willingness to hurt a bit...  He refers to them as the "hike a bike" riders... He's not being disrespectful but does point out they're the riders just out for an experience and likely didn't put  in the training miles or at least the hill mileage... Friend #2 knows what type of rider I am and says I should only dismount if there's a crash or a glut of riders making dismounting unavoidable....

I'm thinking a course reconnaissance is in order, even if it's in a car...  

2016-03-03 2:07 PM

Master
Northern IL

Is this the only course you're going to do?

2016-03-03 2:25 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by brigby1

Is this the only course you're going to do?

It's a local legend race that I've always wanted to do so I suppose the initial answer is maybe....  It's called Barry Roubaix (race is in Hastings, MI and held in Barry County - hence the clever name) and is really quite big.  ~ 3K riders, doing 22, 36 and 62 mile courses.  And there's an epic post race beer tent and party afterwards I'm told...

Back to your question, I'm not looking at all to get into mtn biking, I could see doing some gravel riding but I'm a roadie at heart.. And by that I mean I really like the consistency of roads, triathlon or just road biking...

I could see doing this race annually, and I could see possibly doing other gravel races but I'm just not sure on that type of riding/racing...

That's my main motivation for all these questions, I don't want to spend any more money than is necessary as I have a long list of things I need for my road riding...

2016-03-03 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

The first gravel fondo I ever did I used my road shoes and pedals (Speedplay X-series, so NOT walkable). It was a real incentive for me to not walk any of the hills (and there were times I just put it in my bottom gear and prayed I kept moving forward). But since I've done a few where the hills were steep and long enough that walking at least a short stretch was pretty necessary. Some light MTB shoes are a real plus, and the ones I have are just as efficient as my road shoes, if just a little bit heavier.

2016-03-03 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

The first gravel fondo I ever did I used my road shoes and pedals (Speedplay X-series, so NOT walkable). It was a real incentive for me to not walk any of the hills (and there were times I just put it in my bottom gear and prayed I kept moving forward). But since I've done a few where the hills were steep and long enough that walking at least a short stretch was pretty necessary. Some light MTB shoes are a real plus, and the ones I have are just as efficient as my road shoes, if just a little bit heavier.

Since I'm riding a SS, not being able to shift into an easier gear will likely be the reason I do any walking..... 

I'm riding a 41x17T currently, I've been considering a 20T for this course but I know that will mean spinning out at ~16mph so one more thing to think about...

2016-03-03 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
cool stuff, I signed up for the Paris to Ancaster race which looks simialr to the Barry Robaix. I signed up with the intentions of running my mountain bike, then after reading more about it I decided to buy a CX bike. I run SPD's on it but do have road pedals and shoes as well.

My reservations on running road shoes in a gravel grinder / CX environment is not only sliding around if you get off the bike but you also have to remember that mud isnt really a thought when road pedals/cleats are designed. You might find clipping back in difficult with mud or gravel in the pedals or cleats - Or maybe not? - I cant say that I have ever had my road bike off road. Another thing to think about.
2016-03-04 10:14 AM
in reply to: #5170195

User image

Expert
I use Crankbrothers on my CX, MTB, and road fixie. Love them. If you ride in the wet service the pedals every couple of months.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedals for road and CX/Gravel? Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Road tire size for cx bike

Started by Lupy
Views: 1205 Posts: 11

2015-09-09 7:01 AM Donto

Road shoes/pedals vs mtn bike shoes/pedals

Started by NCmtnborn76
Views: 1417 Posts: 10

2013-08-23 8:50 AM BikesOfALesserGod

Riding on gravel roads

Started by IMHusker
Views: 2282 Posts: 17

2012-08-21 2:59 PM SoberTriGuy

MTB pedal vs. Road Pedal

Started by mwhitely
Views: 4705 Posts: 17

2009-12-29 9:42 PM zr140th

gravel roads

Started by beccayinn
Views: 771 Posts: 6

2004-04-08 3:31 PM bikegal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 16, 2011
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : September 9, 2008
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : March 13, 2005
author : infosteward
Using Clipless Pedals Increases Efficiency