General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walk me through your 5K in a Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-03-07 10:28 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Walk me through your 5K in a Sprint

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by briderdt

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano So you would be more level across the run ? As opposed to ej who heads out a little quicker before settling into his pace.

It's a mental thing, not a pace thing.

That's a good point.  I wonder at times if I get too hung up on pace, course - weather dependent vs more all out.  I am usually a wheezing hunched over mess at the end of a sprint.  After blowing up a bit on a tempo run yesterday with about a mile to go and having a WT_ moment I started replaying things.  Then going over what I'd normally be thinking in a race.  Which got me to wondering what someone more confident or more experience thinks about during the run.  The opposite for me would be the swim.  There's really no thought process needed.  I don't have to worry about pacing by looking at a watch vs distance vs really anything and I know within a few seconds what my swim time will be.  When I see other runners I do think a lot about what's going on in their head.  Are they listening to their legs, watching their pace, do they just feel like crap.  Do they know they are just going to be running at X;XX min miles.  I wish I could turn my mind off more during the run I think is what I am finding. 

After running a lot and consistently, I get to the point where I know my pace and HR pretty accurately without looking at my watch.  I'm close to that on the bike for HR and W after long training blocks.  Haven't gotten there on the swim entirely, but in a race I at least sense an impending blowup and can dial back for the race distance - but only learned after a couple sprint blow-ups years past...

This helps me a lot in being able to RACE rather than time trial.  In big races with multiple waves, it's less useful, but in smaller races the ability to tactically react to the situation is easier when you have a good sense of your pace/effort.

To the OP, my sprint pace is ballz out open 5k effort (but never hit that pace, for obvious reasons). Unlike Ben and many others, I don't often negative split.  I try to spin high cadence the last minute or two on the bike and that has helped come into the run with higher cadence and speed.  I usually have a slight positive split for the second half (although my last mile of a HM or quarter for a sprint are usually almost as fast as my first - with a little "belly" in the middle).

That pace varies with my fitness level, but the feeling of effort does not (cue LeMond quote here).

If I'm not "in race shape," though, I have much less an idea of HR/Pace for a given feeling of effort.  Only happens when I'm fit and at moderate volume or above...

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walk me through your 5K in a Sprint Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Building Endurance: Run/Walk or Power Walk?

Started by lazytriathlete
Views: 2437 Posts: 16

2009-12-03 12:34 AM dscottmd

To walk or not to walk?

Started by Joblin
Views: 1219 Posts: 16

2009-08-03 6:50 AM Joblin

Finishing DFL in a 5K “Fit Walk” is still all good

Started by Slugger
Views: 1002 Posts: 6

2009-07-03 12:29 AM Slugger

Sprint 5k vs. Stand alone 5k

Started by snoopy
Views: 1177 Posts: 13

2005-08-23 4:17 AM Special K

first registered 5k walk

Started by Ath
Views: 558 Posts: 5

2004-09-13 8:28 PM keriann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.

Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.