General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Schedule? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-15 3:30 PM

Subject: Race Schedule?
Contemplating a half in early June followed by a full in late August. What do you think, enough time to recover and train in between?

2016-03-15 3:36 PM
in reply to: ballisticmonkey3

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Race Schedule?
I did a half in the beginning of June and then did Lake Placid at the end of July last year. I felt that was enough time to be recovered and ready for the full. Just my $0.02.
2016-03-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: #5172164

Sweet. It'll be my first full.
2016-03-16 9:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by ballisticmonkey3 Contemplating a half in early June followed by a full in late August. What do you think, enough time to recover and train in between?

That would be sub-optimal.

Most training plans for a full IM want you to do a half IM six to eight weeks prior to the full.  You race the half (it's not a training day), and then you get right back at it for your full.  So an early June half IM to late August full IM is actually a bit too far out for that sort of plan, but a bit too close together for you to have two separate training plans.

I've done 11 IMs and usually do a half IM as part of the training for them. I find it works well.

Which races, specifically?  .

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-03-16 9:22 AM
2016-03-16 10:28 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by ballisticmonkey3 Contemplating a half in early June followed by a full in late August. What do you think, enough time to recover and train in between?

Most training plans for a full IM want you to do a half IM six to eight weeks prior to the full.  You race the half (it's not a training day), and then you get right back at it for your full.  So an early June half IM to late August full IM is actually a bit too far out for that sort of plan, but a bit too close together for you to have two separate training plans.

I've done 11 IMs and usually do a half IM as part of the training for them. I find it works well.

Well, I don't know it's really that sub-optimal, and could be better for many too. Farther out would be better than closer in. To work with this, build up to the HIM as in the schedule and then repeat a few of the weeks scheduled after it.

2016-03-16 10:42 AM
in reply to: #5172164

Was contemplating Boulder and Couer D'Alene l, but now looking at 70.3 Boulder in early June followed by Calgary 70.3 in late July. ?

2016-03-16 8:25 PM
in reply to: ballisticmonkey3

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by ballisticmonkey3 Was contemplating Boulder and Couer D'Alene l, but now looking at 70.3 Boulder in early June followed by Calgary 70.3 in late July. ?

I've done both the Boulder IM and IMCDA.  It's do-able.  Both are lake swims, the Boulder bike course is not tough at all and the Boulder 70.3 run is around the Res and totally flat.  IMCDA changed the bike course since I raced it but I understand the current course is similar in difficulty and is harder than the Boulder course.  And the IMCDA run has fairly steep hill on the out-and-back.

So it's sort of an "easier" 70.3 followed by an "average" 70.3.  Yes, it's sub-optimal to have the races as far apart as they are, but totally do-able and you'd have a good time at both.

2016-03-17 8:04 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ballisticmonkey3 Was contemplating Boulder and Couer D'Alene l, but now looking at 70.3 Boulder in early June followed by Calgary 70.3 in late July. ?

I've done both the Boulder IM and IMCDA.  It's do-able.  Both are lake swims, the Boulder bike course is not tough at all and the Boulder 70.3 run is around the Res and totally flat.  IMCDA changed the bike course since I raced it but I understand the current course is similar in difficulty and is harder than the Boulder course.  And the IMCDA run has fairly steep hill on the out-and-back.

So it's sort of an "easier" 70.3 followed by an "average" 70.3.  Yes, it's sub-optimal to have the races as far apart as they are, but totally do-able and you'd have a good time at both.

Perhaps it's just a phrasing selection, but I still don't understand why it's sub-optimal to be in better shape than what a plan may call for? I see these as training to be ready for the first and then work from that fitness into the second race. The thinking seems to be a bit backwards in this case as races aren't being forced in too closely, though could be missing something.

2016-03-17 8:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by brigby1

Perhaps it's just a phrasing selection, but I still don't understand why it's sub-optimal to be in better shape than what a plan may call for? I see these as training to be ready for the first and then work from that fitness into the second race. The thinking seems to be a bit backwards in this case as races aren't being forced in too closely, though could be missing something.

Not at all sub-optimal.  Train for the half and race it hard.  Recover for a week and begin your IM training.  Perfect.

2016-03-17 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by brigby1

Not at all sub-optimal.  Train for the half and race it hard.  Recover for a week and begin your IM training.  Perfect.

Well we all have our opinions. Yes, perhaps people are overly focused on my phrase "suboptimal", which is not "terrible" or "stupid" or "dumb". It's just not optimal.

IM Boulder 70.3 is 6/11/16, and IMCDA is 8/21/16.  That's 71 days apart, 10 weeks.  Me, I like 6 weeks between the half IM and the full IM.  I think it gives a good amount of time for recovery from the half, peak again for the IM, and then taper.  6 weeks is optimal IMHO.  I've pushed that to 8 weeks.  Pushing to 10 weeks?  Hmm a little far apart for how the periodization in my plans works. A little sub-optimal.  Not a lot.  Not terrible or stupid or dumb.  I'm looking back on one of my IM training plans of the past, and 10 weeks back from the IM was a recovery week not a race week.

But you can certainly build any plan to land you a strong half IM and then a strong full IM ten weeks later.

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-03-17 1:45 PM
2016-03-17 3:15 PM

User image

I have signed up for my first full IM 5 weeks after a HIM this year, and I really hope that I am not pushing it. The half is Savageman, and last year it took me about a week to get back to normal. My goal is Savageman, and easy recovery week, back into training for 3 weeks, and a taper. I have paid the registration fees, so now all I can do is stick to my training and hope I am not in over my head.

2016-03-17 3:24 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Well we all have our opinions. Yes, perhaps people are overly focused on my phrase "suboptimal", which is not "terrible" or "stupid" or "dumb". It's just not optimal.

IM Boulder 70.3 is 6/11/16, and IMCDA is 8/21/16.  That's 71 days apart, 10 weeks.  Me, I like 6 weeks between the half IM and the full IM.  I think it gives a good amount of time for recovery from the half, peak again for the IM, and then taper.  6 weeks is optimal IMHO.  I've pushed that to 8 weeks.  Pushing to 10 weeks?  Hmm a little far apart for how the periodization in my plans works. A little sub-optimal.  Not a lot.  Not terrible or stupid or dumb.  I'm looking back on one of my IM training plans of the past, and 10 weeks back from the IM was a recovery week not a race week.

But you can certainly build any plan to land you a strong half IM and then a strong full IM ten weeks later.

Yes.  We all have our opinions.  Mine is that the OPs race plan set-up is far from sub-optimal.  Train and race a hard HIM, getting oneself in great shape in the process.  Then recover and have about 10 weeks to train specifically for the IM, leveraging the fitness gained preparing for the HIM.  A good amount of time for a solid race-specific training block and a taper.  Benefits from not having to worry about the IM until after the HIM is completed.  There is no "IM training" prior to the HIM.  Like I said (in my opinion), near perfect timing.  There's nothing that makes 6 weeks out "optimal" in any general sense--which is what it sounds like you imply when you keep repeating it.  Though if it "works" for you, that's great.  Then you know how to plan things out and have fun with it.

2016-03-17 3:29 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by happyscientist

I have signed up for my first full IM 5 weeks after a HIM this year, and I really hope that I am not pushing it. The half is Savageman, and last year it took me about a week to get back to normal. My goal is Savageman, and easy recovery week, back into training for 3 weeks, and a taper. I have paid the registration fees, so now all I can do is stick to my training and hope I am not in over my head.

That is almost certainly not optimal--although I have seen many do OK with it.  The taper for an IM is generally over 2-3 weeks.  Adding an additional week of recovery in the last 5 makes it tough.  However, the fact that it is not "optimal" does not mean it can't be done.  What I wouldn't do is push too hard right after Savageman (a really tough HIM too--but you know that, at least).  Make sure you are recovered and then have a couple weeks of good training.  But you will probably have to do some "IM training" leading up towards Savageman since you won't have enough time to do it all after.  And may want only an 'abbreviated' taper for that race, too.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2016-03-17 3:31 PM
2016-03-17 4:39 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Master
Northern IL

Yes.  We all have our opinions.  Mine is that the OPs race plan set-up is far from sub-optimal.  Train and race a hard HIM, getting oneself in great shape in the process.  Then recover and have about 10 weeks to train specifically for the IM, leveraging the fitness gained preparing for the HIM.  A good amount of time for a solid race-specific training block and a taper.  Benefits from not having to worry about the IM until after the HIM is completed.  There is no "IM training" prior to the HIM.  Like I said (in my opinion), near perfect timing.  There's nothing that makes 6 weeks out "optimal" in any general sense--which is what it sounds like you imply when you keep repeating it.  Though if it "works" for you, that's great.  Then you know how to plan things out and have fun with it.

Yeah, the 6 weeks out works for that individual with that plan. Change the race dates and the plan can (and maybe should) change along with it. The periodization mentioned can be adjusted around the schedule to optimize for the desired races. It doesn't have to stay fixed in one spot or order. 

2016-03-19 8:14 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by happyscientist

That is almost certainly not optimal--although I have seen many do OK with it.  The taper for an IM is generally over 2-3 weeks.  Adding an additional week of recovery in the last 5 makes it tough.  However, the fact that it is not "optimal" does not mean it can't be done.  What I wouldn't do is push too hard right after Savageman (a really tough HIM too--but you know that, at least).  Make sure you are recovered and then have a couple weeks of good training.  But you will probably have to do some "IM training" leading up towards Savageman since you won't have enough time to do it all after.  And may want only an 'abbreviated' taper for that race, too.

I am actually a bit more concerned about getting burned out or injured before the race than going in undertrained. I have my first ultra this summer, and I always do at least one century. Because I live in the area, it will be the GCGF unless we get rained out again this year. The challenge is going to be not getting complacent and thinking "hey, I ran an ultra. I don't need to run that much."
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Schedule? Rss Feed