General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 months to Ironman 70.3 enough time? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-18 1:41 AM

Subject: 3 months to Ironman 70.3 enough time?
Hi all! Newbie here!

So currently I'm training for my first full marathon which will be on April 9th. Because of this I've dedicated the last 4 months pretty much exclusively to running. I haven't swum or cycled in about 3 months. My plans for the year were to complete this marathon and then refocus onto tri training with a view to competeing in a 70.3 in October.

However a new 70.3 has been announced for right in the city where I live. The start line is literally a 20 minute walk from where I live. However it's taking place in June which gives me only 3 months to train, or slightly over 2 months from when the marathon is on.

Next week I'm going to start taper for the marathon so I'm going to start swimming and cycling leisurely maybe once a week. Once the marathon is done I'm thinking about taking a couple weeks off running and focusing exclusively on swimming and cycling, and maybe from the start of May reintroducing running.

Last year I competed in a couple of olympic distances so I have some sort of a base. I am confident that I can easily swim the 1.9K swim and at the moment a 21K run is no problem for me. That said I've never cycled more than 50K or so, it's easily the weakest of the disciplines for me. So the idea of the 90k is intimidating.

In peoples experiences is this enough time to train or am I setting myself up for failure? Thanks for reading!

2016-03-18 7:37 AM
in reply to: Busantri

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: 3 months to Ironman 70.3 enough time?

Assuming you can really "easily" swim the 1.9k, then you should be able to finish the HIM in June.  However, you will certainly not be prepared for it and it could turn into quite a long slog on the course.  I think you will have a much better racing experience waiting for October, but it all depends what you want to get out of it.

Welcome to BT! 

2016-03-18 5:43 PM
in reply to: #5172654

User image

100% you'll be race ready! With that kind of prep, you could be competitive, towards the front of your age group.
2016-03-19 8:07 AM

User image

I would not be able to turn down a race that close to home. You need to cross-train for your marathon anyway, so I would just make sure to ride or swim as that cross-training. It sounds like you should focus on the ride. On race day, just remember to take it easy on the bike and save your legs for the run.
2016-03-19 7:51 PM
in reply to: #5172788

Yep. Go for it. 12 weeks is enough time especially since you're already fit
2016-03-20 5:41 AM
in reply to: #5172903

Without doubt. In fact I'm in the same boat - finished today's marathon and will be building the bike and swim up over the next few months. Probably worth getting an Olympic in before it too. See you at Haeundae!

2016-03-20 7:44 PM
in reply to: philelmer

Nice, thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm going to do it, a 70.3 with a start line 20 minutes from my apartment is too good to turn up!

Philelmer, I'll see you there! I missed the marathon this weekend but I'll be doing Gyeongju in April. Are you aiming for the Daegu olympic in May?
2016-03-21 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Busantri

Nice, thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm going to do it, a 70.3 with a start line 20 minutes from my apartment is too good to turn up!

Philelmer, I'll see you there! I missed the marathon this weekend but I'll be doing Gyeongju in April. Are you aiming for the Daegu olympic in May?

You should re-read Johnny Kay's post. It is what you should expect. I assume it will take you a week to recover from your marathon and you won't do much the week leading up to the June race. This leaves you about 8 weeks to go from almost no cycling to HIM readiness.

Will you be ready ? Probably not. Can you finish ? Probably. If finishing is the only goal, go for it.
If your goals are greater than that, re-read Johnny's post..
2016-03-21 8:17 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by marcag

You should re-read Johnny Kay's post. It is what you should expect. I assume it will take you a week to recover from your marathon and you won't do much the week leading up to the June race. This leaves you about 8 weeks to go from almost no cycling to HIM readiness.

Will you be ready ? Probably not. Can you finish ? Probably. If finishing is the only goal, go for it.
If your goals are greater than that, re-read Johnny's post..

I couldn't imagine doing a HIM on very little bike training. After all, you're on the bike longer than anything else.

Can you finish it? I'd say so. You (and it seems others) are looking at the marathon as a positive in your training schedule. I don't see it that way, at all.

Good luck to you.
2016-03-21 8:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I think there is too much being made of this.  If he can swim with no problem, and he has a marathon in his pocket (assuming it causes no physical problems), then getting to the point where you can bike 56 miles is relatively easy in 8 - 12 weeks.  Finishing a 70.3 is not THAT hard.....mentally (and physically) it's much easier then a marathon.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-03-21 8:36 AM
2016-03-21 10:09 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
your good go for it. just ride a lot try to ride 4 hours before the race

2016-03-21 10:47 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I was in a similar situation  I was living in Marble Falls, Texas this time last year and the HITS Marble Falls 70.3 race was about 10 minutes (drive) from my home (which made it closer than anything else I ever went to since we lived in the country out of town).    I did a 1/2 Marathon in December then took 3 weeks to plan my triathlon training and started on New Years with the Triathlon training.  I trained for 16 weeks but didn't know how to swim and didn't have a bike when I started so I think a 12 week plan would work if you don't have an 8 week learning curve like I did.  

I have used 12 week plans for marathons before and start to peak at about 8 weeks.  On these shortened plan I rely more on pacing during the race and don't try to race because with the shorter base I don't have the ability to do surges during the race and recover.  I surge and die.  Good pacing and being conservative is a good thing in any race over 4 hours long though. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-03-21 10:53 AM
2016-03-21 10:27 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

I think there is too much being made of this.  If he can swim with no problem, and he has a marathon in his pocket (assuming it causes no physical problems), then getting to the point where you can bike 56 miles is relatively easy in 8 - 12 weeks.  Finishing a 70.3 is not THAT hard.....mentally (and physically) it's much easier then a marathon.

I agree, I think there is too much being made of this. After all it's not like I'm a pure beginner at cycling. I logged a lot of miles on the bike last year and have raced on the bike. I simply stopped cycle training about 2 and a half months ago when I stepped up the running. I just have never cycled 90km before as part of a race. It is the weakest of the disciplines for me but hopefully I will be able to build it up. My goal is to finish as it will be my first 70.3. I'm not doing this race in lieu of the October race. I signed up as it's so near and convenient. I don't have to pay for accommodation or travel.
2016-03-21 10:55 PM

While I agree with those that say it's a doable proposition, I would very much disagree that a 70.3 is easier mentally or physically than a marathon, UNLESS you are 'racing' the marathon and just 'completing' the 70.3.

think about it... just the time involved.. what's harder: to focus to swim hard for 25 min, bike for 2:15-2:30, and then run a hard half (say 1:30)... totaling 4.5 to 5 hours of pushing hard hard hard or only 3 hrs of pushing hard? no comparison.
2016-03-22 6:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I agree, I think there is too much being made of this. After all it's not like I'm a pure beginner at cycling. I logged a lot of miles on the bike last year and have raced on the bike. I simply stopped cycle training about 2 and a half months ago when I stepped up the running. I just have never cycled 90km before as part of a race. It is the weakest of the disciplines for me but hopefully I will be able to build it up. My goal is to finish as it will be my first 70.3. I'm not doing this race in lieu of the October race. I signed up as it's so near and convenient. I don't have to pay for accommodation or travel.

Maybe we were taking this from the point of view of "Newbie here" or "the idea of the 90k is intimidating". Your words.

Everyone aligns that you should be able to finish. If that is all you want, go for it.

With 8 weeks of really smart riding you could be at 2/3 of your short term potential. Most fit people can do a HIM with that.

8 hour cutoffs make HIM accessible to a lot of people, which is a good thing.

2016-03-22 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
My comments come from......

I think the marathon training is overkill for the run (see below). It also won't help the swim. It might aid the bike, some.

But, it takes a LOT of time that could be spent on training for the things actually in the race..........AND, it requires recovery time that could be spent.........you guessed it.......on things actually in the HIM.

Can he "complete" it? He could probably "complete" it, right now within the cutoff. If that's what you're shooting for, I wish you luck.

Edited by nc452010 2016-03-22 7:17 AM

2016-03-22 8:39 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I wish you luck and hope I didn't make too much of it.  Was just trying to give you an honest assessment.  Re-reading my response again, I stand by it 100% though.  You should be able to finish just fine as long as you are good to go on the swim.

2016-03-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by davejustdave While I agree with those that say it's a doable proposition, I would very much disagree that a 70.3 is easier mentally or physically than a marathon, UNLESS you are 'racing' the marathon and just 'completing' the 70.3. think about it... just the time involved.. what's harder: to focus to swim hard for 25 min, bike for 2:15-2:30, and then run a hard half (say 1:30)... totaling 4.5 to 5 hours of pushing hard hard hard or only 3 hrs of pushing hard? no comparison.

Have you done these? Every time I've seen this come up the responses from those who have are heavily weighted to unanimously towards the marathon. Running is harder on you.

2016-03-22 9:07 AM

Master
Northern IL

Other points were made, so just wanted to add about being you sure with the completer part. Many say that, but it's more of a deflection technique in that they don't think they will place or put up a "good" time even though they do want to put up a solid race for their ability. If you really back off and go easy through the whole thing then yeah, sounds like you're in pretty good shape to do that.

2016-03-23 7:14 PM

Yes. Running, I've done marathons, 30+ mile training runs, also ran/walked +/- 75 trail miles in a 24 hr period through the sierras including tagging the summit of a couple 14000' peak.

Done a couple HIM, as well as a 3 mile swim, 126 mile bike 27 mile run for a long training day.

For me, HIM was much more mentally taxing than the 50k training runs or marathon. Hiking 75 miles over 24 hrs in the mountains was by far the hardest thing I have ever done, mentally or physically.

But back to my point, I just don't see how anyone can say 3 hours of intense exertion is as taxing as 5 hours of exertion. To me, it's like saying 100 dollars is more money than 166 dollars.
I understand running is higher impact, but the effort as far as exerting yourself... the mental strain to stay focused and pushing is just as hard across all 3 disciplines... maybe you just aren't swimming or riding as hard as you run? Maybe it's just different for different people.
2016-06-18 4:14 AM
in reply to: #5173598

OP - guessing you made it? All checked in and ready for tomorrow?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 months to Ironman 70.3 enough time? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Augusta 70.3 over Ironman Florida 70.3

Started by Tripleplay44
Views: 1679 Posts: 5

2014-08-11 8:42 PM Fred D

Ironman 70.3 FL or Ironman 70.3 Eagleman?

Started by drcherrybomb21
Views: 1574 Posts: 8

2011-11-01 12:58 PM drcherrybomb21

6 months enough time to train for IM?

Started by FormerRoadie
Views: 1261 Posts: 12

2006-10-30 3:29 PM joannh13

6 months enough time for first Ironman?

Started by husun
Views: 1848 Posts: 6

2006-04-29 5:05 PM skavoovie

One month enough time????

Started by bsjracing
Views: 1025 Posts: 8

2005-10-10 4:12 PM mprevost
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.