General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bathroom brake HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-18 12:46 PM

Subject: bathroom brake HIM
just as the subject says. Is a bathroom break mandatory for most/all athletes at this distance?

Where do you go? I assume #1 for the elite would be on the go...spraying people on bike?
#2 if needed.

2016-03-18 12:57 PM
in reply to: dworth

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: bathroom brake HIM
I've done two and didn't take a bathroom break either time. The first one I drank too much and by the end my bladder was going to burst, but I just didn't want to stop and it was cool enough, that I wasn't sweating enough to mask it if I peed myself, so I held it. I honestly think it gave me the boost to finish at the end, and I ran straight to the port a potty.

The second one I balanced my fluid intake a bit better, had to pee by the end, but it was manageable. I do pee like crazy during my "warm up" in the water, to make sure the tank is as empty as possible before starting.

I don't think 5 hours is beyond reason to hold it, especially since you're sweating the whole time. I just manage my fluid intake to make sure I'm hydrated, but not overdoing it.
2016-03-18 1:06 PM

User image

Port a potty in T2. I can't pee on the bike. Nor am I pro. Thinking about it I can only pee in wetsuit, OW or pool. Just kidding about the last one mostly
2016-03-18 1:16 PM
in reply to: 3mar

being this will will be my 1st HIM, i'll assume my time will be a little higher than 5hrs the thought is if i'm closer to 6 1/2 -7 hr race time, because i'm slow

knowing that I also haven't trained more than 3 1/2 hrs at one time(i didn't have to go during that time on bike only), I'm on a learning curve for nutrition past that mark and whatever happens will be new.

Reading the nutrition threads, everyone is different of course, so I'm trying to plan for everything.
2016-03-18 1:54 PM

User image

, South Carolina
We have what we call "going greyhound" If you have ever been to the dog races and you see a dog take a crap, bet on that dog! The lighter the better! Thus our family's saying of going "greyhound." I think getting your greyhound routine down pat is quite a necessity. And if you need to pee that's where the swim comes in handy, open water of course.
Now personally I have not done it but I know I have been behind or around peeps doing it on the bike but I don't see how you can relax enough to let it out. Now #2 during the race? Small plastic bag with a few baby wipes will literally save your a$$.
2016-03-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: ToxicDonkey

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ToxicDonkey

"going greyhound"

Stealing that.

2016-03-18 3:53 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I've done many HIMs and found that if I'm super hydrated and it's not a hot/humid day, I will have to pee during the race. No worries, there should be plenty of porta-potties on the race course (except for that one race I did with none on the run and I squatted behind some bushes). In a few 140.6 races I have stood up on the bike and pee'd a little to relieve the pressure until I made it to an aid station. It's not a huge deal, but try to be aware of how close you are to others and wait for a solo stretch to attempt it. 

For your greyhound situation, good advice from someone else about training your body to go early in the morning so that will hopefully not be an issue. But if it is, again, just find a porta potty. 

2016-03-18 5:39 PM
in reply to: #5172741

User image

I #1 and #2 on the bike, I only get off when I get to T2. As for the run, I will stop at a port a potty as long as there is no line. If there is a line, I go while I run.
2016-03-18 7:13 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have no problem peeing at any time during the race si I don't even try to manage that. As far as #2, I drink a number of espresso double shots when I'm getting ready for the race. Wakes me up and gets the colon rollin'
2016-03-18 8:43 PM

i do the coffee thing in the morning too, and being a early morning guy anyways, i have trained my system for #2.

I just figured if some folks eat solids on bike, that with the run, the system tends to work faster for me. Some of my training has had me back at the house shortly after my start for rd 2

BTW-- As I wrote the subject line I was thinking stopping to go to bathroom and wrote brake instead of break :P
2016-03-19 12:53 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Experiment systematically with foods during your long rides/runs in training and try to find something that won't make you need to go #2. Everyone is different in that respect, but suspects to avoid would be anything with a lot of fiber or fat. I sometimes eat dates in training, for example, but I don't think I'd risk it in a race. Ditto for anything with wheat or dairy (energy bars, etc.) You are probably safer with gu, chews, liquid nutrition, etc. Most people apparently can't do what I do and use dark chocolate as bike nutrition! (Really--I have eaten it even while running out of T2, with no issues.) I apparently have an iron stomach as long as I avoid my personal bugaboos of wheat and dairy (which, oddly, I have no trouble with except before running or racing).

At least if your race is in the developed world, there will probably be porta-potties on the course in the event that something goes awry. (Heat, race-day nerves and higher effort levels can sometimes cause issues that don't happen in training.) At IM Vietnam last year there were NO PORTA-POTTIES on the run or bike course (local regulation, apparently, prohibits them). Only option was to use a few public toilets on a beach. (Most definitely no TP or anything else.) Or "hold it" to T2 or the finish.

2016-03-19 6:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AndyEWU07

I #1 and #2 on the bike, I only get off when I get to T2. As for the run, I will stop at a port a potty as long as there is no line. If there is a line, I go while I run.

So putting together your 2 responses in 2 threads, you suggest people dope and crap themselves ?

I think Shane's question has been answered.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-19 6:57 AM
2016-03-19 8:03 AM

User image

That's nice for you, but I would rather lose 1-2 minutes dashing into a port-a-potty than spend the entire race uncomfortable and distracted.
2016-03-19 7:49 PM
in reply to: #5172741

I go when I need to go. I do the coffee thing before race to clean things out. I try not to over hydrate during race. I mostly drink when I'm thirsty and don't drink on some sort of schedule. My first HIM I had to pee on run and that was it. My 2nd HIM I had some GI issues and had to stop on bike, at T2, and twice on run. HIMs are uncomfortable enough I won't make them more uncomfortable by holding it in
2016-03-20 2:36 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I've done 4 70.3's and have always taken one bathroom break going into T2. There has always been a bunch of port a potties as soon as you come out of the water and into the parking lot with the bikes. I've tried to go while I'm in the water but I can't make myself go while I'm swimming and I really don't want to stand in the water just staring at people while they are running out of the water.
2016-03-20 3:09 PM

User image

Pro

Multiple breaks for me.  I over hydrate.

2016-03-21 10:03 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by AndyEWU07

So putting together your 2 responses in 2 threads, you suggest people dope and crap themselves ?

I think Shane's question has been answered.

He probably has no control over #1 and #2 because of his doping habits! Based on his last post he still can't beat us old guys, so his dirty draws is the only thing he has to show for it.
2016-03-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
My HIM I was in the same boat time-wise. Mine was on a cold day, so not much sweating to release the fluids. There was supposed to be a port-a-john at one of the turns on the bike course around Mile 29, so I was reliant on that. It wasn't there Tried to just hold it until T2 but too much pressure on the bladder was making things really uncomfortable. Now, this was where being a slower competitor came to be an advantage - it wasn't hard to find a stretch of road that was free and clear of people and so I learned to pee on my bike. I wasn't proud of it, but I certainly felt much better.

Had I needed to go #2 I would have been royally screwed. It had rained pretty heavily and so there was standing water in the ditches on either side of the highway we were riding on, plus it was farmland for most of it so that would have been super muddy as well. Most likely my bike cleats would have gotten stuck in the mud trying to fertilize the fields...what a sight that would have been LOL
2016-03-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by CycloneVM

My HIM I was in the same boat time-wise. Mine was on a cold day, so not much sweating to release the fluids. There was supposed to be a port-a-john at one of the turns on the bike course around Mile 29, so I was reliant on that. It wasn't there Tried to just hold it until T2 but too much pressure on the bladder was making things really uncomfortable. Now, this was where being a slower competitor came to be an advantage - it wasn't hard to find a stretch of road that was free and clear of people and so I learned to pee on my bike. I wasn't proud of it, but I certainly felt much better.

Had I needed to go #2 I would have been royally screwed. It had rained pretty heavily and so there was standing water in the ditches on either side of the highway we were riding on, plus it was farmland for most of it so that would have been super muddy as well. Most likely my bike cleats would have gotten stuck in the mud trying to fertilize the fields...what a sight that would have been LOL

Well at least you could have just claimed that it was mud running down your leg!

For me, just thinking about a race is enough to get #2 going, so race morning, everything is cleared out. Dang...that just made me think about a sprint I have in two weeks, gotta run....
2016-03-21 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Ha! I'll have to remember that one for future races!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bathroom brake HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bathroom breaks

Started by rpm1418
Views: 1106 Posts: 15

2007-02-07 3:32 PM TexOma

Bathroom while biking??? Pages: 1 2

Started by BlackCat
Views: 2835 Posts: 41

2006-09-15 12:12 AM amiine

can I go to the bathroom now?

Started by jmcelroy
Views: 767 Posts: 7

2006-09-05 5:01 PM jmcelroy

Aero Brakes vs TT brakes?

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 919 Posts: 4

2006-01-13 3:10 PM luv2flyjrn

Using bathroom ALOT after a race

Started by jwbrandon
Views: 543 Posts: 3

2005-07-27 10:23 AM gtrieb33
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : June 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
As hard as you try to avoid it, it calls for you each and every morning. You hate to do it, but for some uncontrollable reason, your feet find their way to the bathroom scale.