General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Lone Wolf Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-20 6:29 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: The Lone Wolf
I would never describe myself as introverted. In fact I would like to think that I function very well socially even rising to the level of gregariousness when appropriate. My profession requires considerable interaction with others both independently and in groups. I feel as I perform well and even thrive in that environment. With that said I undoubtedly often reach the apex of bliss when alone. I think that is part of what draws me to triathlon. It is essentially an individual pursuit. You can certainly train with others, race on teams or with clubs and interact socially at events. Ultimately though you race alone. And for many training is done alone. This is certainly so in my case and entirely by choice. I was mountain biking this past week bombing down gnarly single track and fire roads and could not have been more in my element. Many of my pursuits are solo. From hunting to fishing to kayaking (and of course SBR) I truly enjoy the solitude. I suppose on some level it is an expression/manifestation of self reliance and indicative of a general sense of being comfortable in one's own skin. These endeavors afford considerable opportunities for introspection and general contemplation of some of life's deepest and most meaningful complexities. There is plenty of time to ponder much less important topics as well (think fantasy football selections or what restaurant to choose). If I dug a little deeper I could probably link my propensity and predisposition to solitude to some event(s) from my formative years. Regardless it is who I am and though I deeply cherish and am thankful for precious time spent with loved ones, friends and acquaintances I am also so very thankful for my time alone for quiet reflection and self actualization. Any other lone wolves out there howling at the pale orb of the night sky?

2016-03-20 7:38 PM
in reply to: #5172990

Subject: RE: The Lone Wolf
OwwwOOOoooooooooo.....
2016-03-20 7:42 PM
in reply to: #5173002

User image

, North Carolina
Well said.
2016-03-21 4:27 PM
in reply to: CBess

I tend not to be a joiner, so I am not in a tri or bike club and I will reluctantly join a masters swim group because I think there is much to be gained there. I am a late onset triathlon person (60 y.o.) so maybe if I was part of the tri club demographic I'd feel different. But I've really never been much of a joiner. Although I am a very friendly person.
2016-03-21 7:57 PM
in reply to: #5173004

User image

I can relate...I find I really enjoy the training...which are mostly done on your own. The long swims, bikes and runs I find very relaxing...Triathlon based workouts are my substitute for fishing...not as smelly either
2016-03-21 11:22 PM

Master
, California

I would never describe myself as introverted. In fact I would like to think that I function very well socially even rising to the level of gregariousness when appropriate. My profession requires considerable interaction with others both independently and in groups. I feel as I perform well and even thrive in that environment. With that said I undoubtedly often reach the apex of bliss when alone.

This is actually a pretty good description of an introvert.

Introverts aren't necessarily anti-social or socially awkward.  Some of them are great public speakers, sales-people, and so on.  But you won't pick those ones out unless you really know them well.  The key is more along the lines of what you describe in the rest of your post.  An extrovert gets energized by being around other people, whereas those interactions put a drain on an introvert.  They look forward to some alone time.

I think a lot of people misunderstand and view "introvert" as a derogatory term, but it really isn't.

2016-03-22 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, by choice and by necessity, except that I'm usually howling at the setting moon and the rising sun! My job (elementary teacher) involves pretty much non-stop interaction with lots of people. I enjoy it, but by the end of the day, I'm pretty drained by it. Not antisocial but by nature I will admit to being somewhat of an introvert.

I really enjoy swimming, biking, and running solo--it's like recharging my batteries or something. Training with other people makes me feel tired most of the time. I would rather meet them afterwards for a meal or a beer or a coffee and some good conversation. I started running as a kid and unlike most, got into the sport through running for transport and then road races, so I didn't have the usual beginnings with a team or coach, and maybe it set the tone for my lifelong preference for solo endurance sports. I'm also one of very, very few triathletes in Vietnam, so by necessity almost all my training is solo. And to be honest, 99% of the time, I prefer it that way. And it's kind of cool sometimes to think I'm one of the only people here doing what I do.
2016-03-22 11:00 AM

I do a lot of my training alone. I like being alone with my thoughts and I like the flexibility to do my own thing. If I do train with others I really prefer it to be with one or two other people and with the understanding I want to go at my own pace.
2016-03-22 1:46 PM
in reply to: #5173164

User image

I also tend to go it alone (much to the chagrin of my wife; she worries about me biking or especially swimming by myself when I'm doing OWS practice). My wife and I are in a run group that starts and finishes at a local brewery; we run, then stay for dinner and a beer or two afterwards. I found a route I really like in that area that was pretty and had some really good hills, so I run that same route every time, regardless of what route everyone else is doing. The group has a leader that maps out and marks with flags different routes every week, so sometimes I have company on my run if my route is the group's route that week, but most of the time I'm alone, and that's how I prefer it. I don't mind sitting and talking after, but prefer my workouts to be done alone.

I am a big introvert though. Certainly not shy or anti-social, but defintely introverted.
2016-03-22 8:53 PM
in reply to: #5173317

User image

Maybe the solitude of triathlon training attracts many because it's the opposite of our daily work lives...it would definitely appeal to me if I was a teacher...The run to the brewery sounds great!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Lone Wolf Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lone Star Triathlon live feeds now online!

Started by KEJ
Views: 715 Posts: 1

2009-04-14 4:49 PM KEJ

Live web coverage of the Lone Star Triathlon Festival

Started by KEJ
Views: 743 Posts: 2

2009-04-02 7:04 AM Birkierunner

The Young Lady that cried WOLF!

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1541 Posts: 6

2008-04-18 10:19 AM runningwoof

Lone Star Weekend