General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chafing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-24 7:27 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: Chafing
So I've been increasing mileage on the bike lately and went on a pretty aggressive (for me anyway) group ride Tuesday night. As a result, I came home with some raw skin in my nether-regions.

The good news is I've got some experience with treating chafing and have a product that is wonderful for getting things back to normal (boudreaux's butt paste).

My question is what do I need to do to prevent chafing in the first place?

I ride in tri-shorts normally since that's what I'll race in. Do I need to get a good pair of bike shorts instead? Do I just need some time to allow my perineal region to get accustomed to it? Is there a good product to apply before that will wash out of my chamois?

Any help is appreciated, from the bottom of my..umm...well, thanks in advance.

2016-03-24 7:47 AM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Subject: RE: Chafing
Chamois Butt'r or some variation. I never ride without it. Personally, I find the Euro version works better with my skin, but it does contain menthol and witch hazel, so consider yourself warned if you try that version.

On race day, I like Skin Sake, because it does not come off in the water or with sweat. I put it on before the race starts, and I am good all day. I have never done anything longer than a HIM, though.
2016-03-24 8:50 AM

User image

, South Carolina
HA!!! I am really lmao cause I have Boudreaux's on right now! As we all know water or sweat ain't no lubricant!
I start with a good pair of Pearl Izumi's or DeSotot Tri shorts, Butt Butt'r for the mid to back area and A&D ointment in the creases and folds where my legs come together. Also for the male anatomy.
I use a combo of Boudreaux's and A&D for after/overnight as well. I am loved by all family members on beach trips cause I have the chafing first aid down pat. I try and stay away from soccer style shorts when running and look for some that do not have prominent liner stitching. Cold weather exercise can really fool you because you dont think you are chafing until BAM you hit the shower and then you know the places that you missed.
I have stopped using chub rub but will occasionally on the arches or tops of my toes/feet if I am trying to get my feet used to running with no socks for a quick transition.

Hope this helps. I have scars cause I foolishly thought they were cool and chicks would dig them.
2016-03-24 4:16 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by marti038 So I've been increasing mileage on the bike lately and went on a pretty aggressive (for me anyway) group ride Tuesday night. As a result, I came home with some raw skin in my nether-regions. The good news is I've got some experience with treating chafing and have a product that is wonderful for getting things back to normal (boudreaux's butt paste). My question is what do I need to do to prevent chafing in the first place? I ride in tri-shorts normally since that's what I'll race in. Do I need to get a good pair of bike shorts instead? Do I just need some time to allow my perineal region to get accustomed to it? Is there a good product to apply before that will wash out of my chamois? Any help is appreciated, from the bottom of my..umm...well, thanks in advance.

Here's what to do. Ride in shorts without a chamois, such as a very thin fleece material just to keep everything dry. Thick chamois rubs because you can't control where they go and absorbs sweat. Next, is  your saddle could be too wide for you. 

2016-03-25 12:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I assume that cause you are wearing a tri-short, it already has a thin chamois.

Really, the main things that helped me were a proper fitting seat, making sure the lycra is tight ( loose will rub ) and there are plenty of chamois creams available at your local bike shop, though lately I've been using a stick of body glide or some vaseline.

Over time your nether regions will get more leathery, I pretty well never use it for cycling anymore, only for running, and only for specific shorts, or everywhere if it's particularly long.
2016-03-28 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5173635

Springboro, Ohio
Chamois butter and/or A&D ointment depending on the specifics. IMHO

2016-03-28 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
in addition to ample lube...the seat / shorts can be making the problem worse.

for example my Adamo saddle was too wide and pulling the "fork" in with zip ties helped to eliminate chafing.

different shorts might help too.

Good to analyze the areas that are contact with the point that's chafing
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chafing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

oh the chafe! anti-chafe gel ?

Started by vrljc
Views: 2060 Posts: 11

2008-02-20 1:02 PM TriAya

pull bouy chafe-age?

Started by Shortyy
Views: 1264 Posts: 3

2007-06-11 9:04 PM steve8

Sports bra chafe - for the smaller boobages Pages: 1 2

Started by BbMoozer
Views: 2854 Posts: 37

2007-01-20 7:44 PM kmarzano

No chafe Running shorts?

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1280 Posts: 11

2006-09-14 11:14 AM rollinbones

Chafing cures

Started by DeannaS
Views: 1260 Posts: 15

2006-06-16 8:05 PM dredwards
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 3, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.