Callaway Gardens
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Callaway Gardens on Saturday afternoon and checked into the Mountain Creek Inn. On race morning, woke at 5:30, dressed, loaded car and drove over to the race site. Ate at the pancake breakfast. Unloaded car and made way to transition area and picked up my chip. I had trouble getting my transition set up because I was overthinking everything. I finally sorted everything out and then borrowed a marker from another racer and had Ron bodymark me. They didn't have any bodymarkers at the Transition area, so having a race crew member do it would have meant walking across the parking lot to the finish area. I skipped the walk and had the best bodymarking of any racer! After transition set-up I made way towards beach and met up with fellow BTer's, mmakbenton and benton4.
Event warmup:

Short swim from the swim exit over to the swim start. The water was warm, but felt good. I was in the shallow part of the lake, but was amazed at how clear the water was.
Swim
  • 16m 51s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Prior to the race start, the race director said he knew the swim was short, but I never caught what the distance actually was. I marked the start as Deep, because we were in 5 foot water and I'm only 5'2"! :) Even with the short warm-up swim, I was nervous and my heartrate was high. It took a little bit of the swim to get my heartrate controlled. I felt my form was good, but speed was poor. I started near the front of my wave and didn't have any early crowding on the swim. I ran into some crowds at the turns and again in the final few hundred yards. I swam in to the very shallow water even when I saw those around me standing and running through the water.
What would you do differently?:

I have definitely made progress with my form, but my speed still needs A LOT of work. I need to learn how to control the pre-race jitters and maintain a lower heartrate.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

The transition area was big and split in the middle by a grass/dirt median. I had no problems getting to my bike. Getting socks and bike shoes, helmet and sunglasses on went well. I had to run bike across the median to get to the transition exit. I fumbled getting on bike and getting shoes clipped in.

Just figure out how to keep speeding up this first transition. I need to work on getting shoes clipped and getting up to speed faster.
Bike
  • 59m 48s
  • 19 miles
  • 19.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I went into the race wanting to ride 18.6 mph to finish the course in 1 hour. According to my odometer, the course was just over 19 miles long and I averaged 19 mph; and came in just under an hour. So even at the advertised race distance, I beat my goal of 18.6. I noticed a lot of people drafting and blocking. I ran into one man who started racing against me as I was trying to pass. It was a little disappointing that racers don't follow the race rules, but it didn't hinder my performance.

Continue to ride my bike to gain strength and agility. I definitely had some gear changing issues, so I need to continue to work on attacking inclines and maintain a smooth gear change.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I had to run across the median with my bike coming back into transition so that slowed me briefly. I dropped my sunglasses when removing my helmet and lost a few seconds retrieving them. I didn't waste time putting on number belt on, and did it on the run.

Not lose sunglasses when removing helmet.
Run
  • 38m 29s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I enjoyed the out and back portion of the race because I was talking to everyone running towards me. The portion of the run around the lake got a bit long and boring with no one to talk to. The last aid station on the run was out of water by the time I got to it. I was well hydrated and the run was shady, but I still like to take water at the stations so I was a bit disappointed. I passed a lot of runners on the course, but got passed by two men in the last quarter mile of the race.

I had a great run! I am finally seeing some speed coming back to my run. Just continue to log miles and return to my old running form. Not let runners pass me. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the Circus Tent for water and an orange. There was no Gatorade at the finish which was a bit disappointing because I didn't want plain water. I met up with family, and the Bentons, mmakbenton and benton4, and waited around for awards. There was a problem with the timing system so we had to wait an excrutiatingly long time for results and awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am finally seeing some dividends from my training. I had a great race. I need to keep working on speed on the swim and bike.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the race. The grounds at Callaway Gardens are great. The timing system problem wasn't really something that could be controlled, but making sure there is enough water on the course and Gatorade at the finish would be good. The transition area was a bit strange with the median through the middle of it. I had a great race and I'm glad I stuck around to receive my award.

Last updated: 2006-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:51 | 1000 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Sugoi tri top and shorts
Course: Around Robin Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:59:48 | 19 miles | 19.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Wind: None
Course: Around Callaway Gardens. Course wasn't extremely hilly, but I never felt like I was riding on flat ground. The course was curvy and had a couple of 90 degree turns that had me slowing speed to make.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:29 | 05 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/15
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back run on a bike path (provided lots of shade), followed by a run around Robin Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-04 11:15 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Callaway Gardens Triathlon

2006-09-04 11:29 AM
in reply to: #530295

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Callaway Gardens Triathlon
Awesome job Leslie!!! Congrats on the hardware, you have worked very hard and it is well deserved! Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday night at the meeting.
2006-09-04 1:11 PM

User image

Queen BTich
Congrats on the hardware! Great job!
2006-09-04 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Whoa - Hardware! Congratulations on a strong race all the way around. .

c
2006-09-04 8:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Awesome job!!!  Can't wait to meet up again soon!
2006-09-05 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Wow! You had a great race and you placed in your age group, way to go! That's so awesome! Keep up the good work and you'll be rocking all your races next season!

2006-09-05 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Congrats on the hardware! Great bike time and you are starting to see speed coming back to your run?!?! I would love to have the speed you have now! Can't wait to see your times when you get your speed back. I'm sure you'll be picking up some more hardware in the future. Your swim time looks great too, even if it was short.

Congrats again!

Edited by craignmcd 2006-09-05 9:12 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Callaway Gardens Triathlon Rss Feed