General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Complete newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-01 5:04 PM

Subject: Complete newbie
Hi, Help. Was talking to a surgeon I used to work with, who does triathlons and iron man comps and suggested I have a go at training for a beginners event as a way of losing a fair bit of weight. Am 6' tall and weigh 242 was 259 after my grandson passed away at 5 months old, from unknown causes. Any way have a little arthritis in the knees and was after advice on a running program for beginners with problem knees. Weight not coming off quickly enough. Need to get to 95 Kg for a charity parachute jump in my grandson's memory. Any help would be appreciated
Cheers

2016-04-02 12:21 PM
in reply to: morley69

User image

Subject: RE: Complete newbie
Welcome to the forum! Sorry about the grandson, I know that has been tough. You have a good goal to work towards for him.
I'm a relative newbie too. Just started last year. I started at 56 with bad feet and knees, specifically arthritis in knees. I had a couple of bad falls snow skiing that had me in pain whenever I tried to run. This went on for years and I just wrote off running for myself.
Started cycling which gradually built up the muscles around the knee and helped a lot fast. Got the tri bug, and on the advice of some new friends at the gym that are into it, I decided to give running another shot. I went to a running store and dropped some money on some good Brooks running shoes and arch supports for my flat feet. I read up on the Jeff Galloway run/walk method and started out jogging for 2- 3 minutes and walking for 1-2 minutes. Only started with 1 to 2 miles. This was April of last year. Between the decent shoes and the Galloway method, I was able to build up to running a 5k for my first sprint tri in August. Nothing short of miraculous for me. I'm doing 7-8 miles usually now, but still do run/walk of 4 minutes run, 1 minute walk for training. The knees have held up well with the gradual increase. And I run slooowwww. I'm in it to finish, not for the podium.
The beauty of tri for me is the rotation of swim/bike/run that keeps from over training and injury in any 1 area and allows plenty of rest between each training session for each discipline. Do some research on the Galloway method, maybe get a couple of swim lessons if you're not sure about your stroke technique, and just do something most days.
Just start off slow, but keep at it and you'll be amazed at the results and how fun it is. My favorite tri saying is "it's good that I'm only competing with myself... because everyone else is kicking my a$$ !" Best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Complete newbie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Complete Newbie!

Started by sjb78
Views: 693 Posts: 2

2012-05-11 11:17 AM TriAya

Total, Complete Newbie....

Started by jamauk
Views: 979 Posts: 5

2010-08-03 8:10 PM SLaden

Complete Newbie

Started by gamblin
Views: 795 Posts: 5

2008-04-28 9:15 PM dirtsailor

complete newbie-thanks for the suppot

Started by Pamvt
Views: 722 Posts: 3

2005-05-13 9:55 AM Pamvt

complete newbie

Started by Pamvt
Views: 1031 Posts: 12

2005-05-11 7:34 PM OldAg92
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 29, 2015
author : rcjones
comments : 11
Six years ago I was 44 years old and weighed 260+ pounds. If anybody had suggested to me that at age 50 I would complete a sprint-length triathlon I would have rolled my eyes and grabbed a doughnut!

date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?
date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.

date : October 5, 2012
author : MOlsen
Earlier this year I did something I never thought I would do: run a 10k. Last weekend I did something I thought was even further out of reach: complete a triathlon.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!