General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should i IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-11 10:46 AM

Subject: Should i IM?
I just finished last weekend my first 70.3@ age 41
My question is whether or not 7 1/2 months is long enough to train effectively for an IM AZ Nov? There is another HIM(superfrog) 2 months before the FULL, that I would plan on doing as part of training plan. Also a couple of sprints and an OLY during the summer.

I have not worked with a coach or others. All self training so far. I think I would probably join a masters group, but not certain its necessary.

coming up soon-
May 21st - Century ride
May 1st - 1/2 marathon

History -
April 2016 - HIM
March 2016 - OLY
Nov 2015 - Sprint
Sept 2015 - Sprint

average three/four 1/2 marathons a year for last 5 years, and ran 2 full marathons 5 years ago.

Thanks,

2016-04-11 10:50 AM
in reply to: dworth

User image

Subject: RE: Should i IM?

Do you feel like you can add more hours of training to what you're currently doing?  Seems like you have a good fitness background which firmly puts you in the...anyone can do IM as long as they train for it prerequisite group.  

2016-04-11 10:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chicago, IL

Yes, 7.5 months is sufficient time to train for a full IM.
The plan I followed was 33 weeks, or almost exactly 7.5 months.

Another issue is that you'd need to sign up for an Ironman Foundation spot, which runs $1,400.
Not an insignificant commitment.

Personally, I would avoid scheduling sprints, possibly even Oly's while you're training.
The stresses on your body during those distances are very different than the long course races.
For example, I wouldn't try to run/sprint a 5K or 8K while I was training for a marathon. I'd be better off running a 10 mile training run (75% effort), than I would be sprinting a 3 mile race (95% effort), and my body would recover more quickly from the longer distance.

I would focus on following a race-specific training program.

Edited by Brit Abroad 2016-04-11 10:57 AM
2016-04-11 10:57 AM
in reply to: Jason N

I would like to say yes, a couple more hrs shouldn't be an issue. Now that being said, I looked a some base plans, and see them reach as high as 17hrs a week. That seems high to me, but I'm not sure. My max weekly training for peaked at 10 1/2 hrs.
2016-04-11 11:45 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

$1400 isn't a big deal. I would have to purchase a tri bike, so I do see an investment of probably 10K total training in the cards.

Would a coach be ideal in this scenario or self training still ok at this level?
2016-04-11 12:05 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You could certainly do it.  I'd disagree about avoiding the olys and sprints over the summer and use those to help prep you for the second HIM, should you do it.  And there's no reason you need a coach (though many choose to use one). 

However, I'd suggest you at least consider waiting another year if only because stepping up quickly to the race load you are talking about for this season is a pretty good undertaking.  It may not sound like much now, but come September after you've been training steadily for some time and having just finished your second HIM in six months, you will have to be prepared to ramp up your training volume further for two more months and then race the IM.  Again, quite doable, but worth thinking about the commitment involved before running out, bucking up for the race entry and splurging on the new bike in your current excitement.  Peaking in 'mid-teen' (or more) weekly training hours is not at all unusual at the IM distance.

2016-04-11 12:09 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by dworth $1400 isn't a big deal. I would have to purchase a tri bike, so I do see an investment of probably 10K total training in the cards. Would a coach be ideal in this scenario or self training still ok at this level?

Please tell me you are talking of a 10K race and not spending $10K!

Man, you can spend what you want, it's your checkbook, but I think that is crazy for a first time event and it doesn't have to be that expensive. I did my IM without a coach. I do think it depends on your level of competitiveness as to whether hiring a coach is right for you. For me, it wasn't about trying to podium or even come close to the podium, but it was more about finishing in my goal time, which I missed. Certainly a coach can be a huge help to you, but it is not necessary, I know plenty of people that were disciplined enough to find a plan and were able to stick to it.

2016-04-11 12:19 PM
in reply to: jford2309

I am not completed committed yet, and really hashing out the plan at this point with you kind folks. The real reason I thought about it during the time frame, is that having another offseason where maintaining for 2-4 months before working into a training plan seemed less effective. I do agree building blocks are key and I am no expert with my body yet, and have no problem waiting., but might lose interest

10K was my estimated cost to get a tri-bike and all the components needed to ride the distances needed. hydration, saddle, pedals etc. cost of entry and travel with family.

Coach is not a mandatory for me. I'm pretty self-motivated and disciplined to train(I hope), but of course this is no half and I have no idea what to expect.
2016-04-11 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

one more point to make. When I did mine, I went from IM in Sept, to Ragnar Relay in Oct to a marathon in early December, and that was too much for me! So keep in my mind not only what can you train for, but also how much time do you need to recover from those events.

2016-04-11 12:52 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

You could certainly do it.  I'd disagree about avoiding the olys and sprints over the summer and use those to help prep you for the second HIM, should you do it.  And there's no reason you need a coach (though many choose to use one). 

However, I'd suggest you at least consider waiting another year if only because stepping up quickly to the race load you are talking about for this season is a pretty good undertaking.  It may not sound like much now, but come September after you've been training steadily for some time and having just finished your second HIM in six months, you will have to be prepared to ramp up your training volume further for two more months and then race the IM.  Again, quite doable, but worth thinking about the commitment involved before running out, bucking up for the race entry and splurging on the new bike in your current excitement.  Peaking in 'mid-teen' (or more) weekly training hours is not at all unusual at the IM distance.

Johnny is wise so I'm just gonna echo him.  

Only you can decide whether you should do an IM, and come the time in October and you start burning out, and then again on mile 15 of the run, you're gonna need a good reason.  I've done an early season half and a late season full before and it's a LOOOOOONNNNGGG   season (so why am I considering it again in 2016?).  One of the pitfalls of training in southern california, which sounds like where you are.

Could totally do an IM on your current bike without a coach. 

2016-04-11 12:58 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Thank you all for your feedback! Much appreciated.

2016-04-11 3:53 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by ChrisM

Only you can decide whether you should do an IM, and come the time in October and you start burning out, and then again on mile 15 of the run, you're gonna need a good reason.  I've done an early season half and a late season full before and it's a LOOOOOONNNNGGG   season (so why am I considering it again in 2016?).  One of the pitfalls of training in southern california, which sounds like where you are.

I agree with most of the above...and repeat the possibility of burn-out bc of the LOOOONG season of training with early half and late full. It can be a tough time to get in all the ramped up training for the IM in the last 2 months.

But it can be done. The only thing I don't quite agree with is the sprints and olys you plan to do. I know it's exciting and fun to pop in more races, but IM you need to focus on that race. It is unlike ALL of the ones you have done. It will take the best you've got to train and complete it. Some people make it sound like it's cake, but in general it is not...and you won't know until you've done it. Play it conservative is my advice. It is easy to get injured along the way, making it to race day is a journey.
2016-04-11 3:58 PM

User image

Like others have said it is enough time. 6 months is the build so 24 weeks.

If you want to do the sprints and oly's just keep in mind that either you should add on extra weeks so that you don't lose a week of Ironman training on those weekends or find time to do your long workouts at another time during the week. People disagree about whether it's good or not to include shorter races - I don't have a strong opinion. But some people really love to race and if that's you then you'll be unhappy missing out on those.

Ironman training takes a lot of time but it doesn't have to take over your life.

Good luck!
2016-04-11 4:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by metafizx
Originally posted by ChrisM

I agree with most of the above...and repeat the possibility of burn-out bc of the LOOOONG season of training with early half and late full. It can be a tough time to get in all the ramped up training for the IM in the last 2 months. But it can be done. The only thing I don't quite agree with is the sprints and olys you plan to do. I know it's exciting and fun to pop in more races, but IM you need to focus on that race. It is unlike ALL of the ones you have done. It will take the best you've got to train and complete it. Some people make it sound like it's cake, but in general it is not...and you won't know until you've done it. Play it conservative is my advice. It is easy to get injured along the way, making it to race day is a journey.

Just on the shorter race thing, the only reason I wouldn't do a few is risk of injury (but that's no way to go through life!   )   Having had my worst injury at an Oly though, it's at least a consideration

Otherwise (and of course just MO) we do this for fun, and we should be having fun.  I see a lot of us amateurs getting really caught up in long course training - can't go to that party, can't ride shorter and take the kid to the zoo, can't go on a date cuz i'm too tired from my 100 mile bike/6 mile brick - that we can suck the joy right out of this sport.  To me those shorter races not only keep it fresh it's fun to do local races without the self-imposed pressures of long course training.  ESPECIALLY with the schedule the OP has.  I've actually done that exact combo, oceanside in March IMAZ in November.  

I might do one or two shorter races, but not a ton

Nothing is gonna make someone hate tris more than training for nearly a year straight....   My goal here would be to not only avoid season burnout but tri career burnout

Although I agree if you get to the start line healthy, that's way more than half the battle.  For the OP, just remember whether you do it this year or next or the next, missing one or two workouts isn't going to affect the overall training.  IM is about consistent training over a period of months rather than any one specific workout

Just my .02, YMMV etc.....

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-11 4:08 PM
2016-04-11 5:31 PM

User image

Originally posted by dworth I am not completed committed yet, and really hashing out the plan at this point with you kind folks. The real reason I thought about it during the time frame, is that having another offseason where maintaining for 2-4 months before working into a training plan seemed less effective. I do agree building blocks are key and I am no expert with my body yet, and have no problem waiting., but might lose interest 10K was my estimated cost to get a tri-bike and all the components needed to ride the distances needed. hydration, saddle, pedals etc. cost of entry and travel with family. Coach is not a mandatory for me. I'm pretty self-motivated and disciplined to train(I hope), but of course this is no half and I have no idea what to expect.

I read the first bolded statement and scratched my head.  Being that extending your ramp up to an IM, to include an off season would probably be more effective than just trying to train all the way through.  Think of it like a professional athlete (runner, cyclist, triathlete, baseball player, basketball player, etc.).  Is it in their best interest to keep competing in events all year, year after year, if they want to make gains?  Probably not.

Then I read the second bolded statement and maybe it makes sense.  Not sure how jokingly you made that comment, but if you don't see yourself in this for the long haul, then maybe it's best to just keep the momentum going.  I'm not criticizing that approach at all...being that I had decided to quit triathlons somewhere around mile 5 of my first and only IM.    Granted, it was my 4th full year of doing tris, and I probably was going to move on regardless of doing an IM or not.

So it just depends how you want to do this.  Very much possible to do it this year, but as others alluded to about a long season, I'd probably hold off and wait till you can structure your entire season, mainly your ramp up in training, around your IM.

2016-04-12 8:58 AM

User image

Sure you should!

I train year round. Running the Boston Marathon in a week. Then IM Mont Tremblant in August then IM Louisville in October. Then I am doing the Dopey Challenge in January. In between all that I usually run 3-4 half marathons, 3-4 Olympic tris and 2 half IM tris. I play hockey in the winter. I play Ultimate in the summer. I am in a bowling league once/week. Just make it a lifestyle and it is no longer training. Just have fun doing it.

I think I spent 3K in total for all my gear. I train and race on a road bike. Nothing fancy, just a Specialized Tarmac. Got a end of season wetsuit 70% off and a few pairs of shoes (well, more than a few pairs). This season will be my 6th and 7th Ironman. I do it for the fun and to visit new places all across North America.

2016-04-12 11:25 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

Master
, California

Originally posted by DeVinci13 Sure you should! I train year round. Running the Boston Marathon in a week. Then IM Mont Tremblant in August then IM Louisville in October. Then I am doing the Dopey Challenge in January. In between all that I usually run 3-4 half marathons, 3-4 Olympic tris and 2 half IM tris. I play hockey in the winter. I play Ultimate in the summer. I am in a bowling league once/week. Just make it a lifestyle and it is no longer training. Just have fun doing it.

This is important if you want to avoid burnout.  The people who suddenly stack on a full IM plan and are completely rigid about it -- they're often the ones who we never see around here again after that one race.

Don't get me wrong.  You should form a plan, either with a coach or a book to guide you.  You need to progressively increase your training load as you approach the race date.  But listen to your body.  If you don't hit your target workout for a day here and there, no need to beat yourself up about it.  Be consistent and do most of your workouts at an intensity that allows you to stay consistent.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should i IM? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

Started by firemedic001918
Views: 2552 Posts: 11

2014-07-28 10:47 AM KSH

IM & 1/2 IM transition prep

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1787 Posts: 4

2013-06-25 9:04 PM gobey007

Saddle choice for Half IM to IM distances?

Started by charles81
Views: 2138 Posts: 7

2004-11-21 8:30 PM piggpen35

Half IM prep b4 IM?

Started by charles81
Views: 1981 Posts: 11

2004-11-01 6:57 PM Steve-

Water Conditions at Tempe Town Lake - Home of IM AZ and SOMA 1/2 IM

Started by SwmBkRn
Views: 2651 Posts: 2

2004-10-22 6:55 PM SwmBkRn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : May 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.