United States
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 33m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went for a short run with the TNT group at WRL. Drove to Roysce City and threw down a couple of Clif blocks.

Got to the race and talked with other BTers (Comet, JeepFleeb, Turqy, dodgersmom, and Doughboy)
Event warmup:

Rode around for a little while prior to my start. Nothing major, probably only 2 miles.
Bike
  • 33m 45s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.10 mile/hr
Comments:

At the start, I was given the option to be held. I declined, but think it might have been better as I fumbled getting cliped in a little.

I went hard immediately at the start. About 1/2 mile in, I look down and see I'm going 26mph and my HR is 187. I figured I wouldn't make it to the turnaround at this pace, so I slowed it down and settled in a little. Then, the guy behind me flew by at the 1.1 mi. mark. This is the guy who said "I'm not a very good time trialist" when we were waiting for the start.

It was pretty uneventful for a while and I was keeping a pretty good pace although I was fighting the wind a bit. I passed a couple of people, but overall it was pretty lonely out there. At about 1 mile from the turnaround, Aaron (JeepFleeb) came flying by me. I was hoping to hold him off until the turnaround, but completing an IM 6 days prior didn't seem to have any residual affect.

I made it to the turnaround and almost immediately noticed the speed increase from a change in direction. The entire first half, I was focused on going real hard to the turnaround as I'd have the wind in my favor and it would be easier. I really knew better as it wasn't easier, I just went faster :).
What would you do differently?:

I'll try the mounted start, but I don't think it would help much.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode around for a little bit, drank some water & Gaterade.

Introduced myself to a local sports talk radio host and talked to him for a bit. Turns out he had the fastest time (27:52) and raced in the Cat 1/2 division.

Found the other BT'ers and hung out until the awards were over.

Bonus: I was a raffle winner and won a WTB Shadow seat.

There was a buzz of someone being hit by a car, but it turns out a guy blacked out while riding. Scary stuff. An ambulance took him off and they said he was going to be ok.

Event comments:

Nice race, but I expected it to be on a shouldered road. There were officers out on the course controlling traffic, though.

Last updated: 2006-09-01 12:00 AM
Biking
00:33:45 | 12.43 miles | 22.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I pretty much kept in the 185 range for HR. aveHR: 183 maxHR 189
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back up Hwy 66. The course has a few hills, but I'd still call it pretty flat overall. There were a few really bad spots on the road, but there were cones placed near the bad parts.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge