Tri On The Run
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 35s
Overall Rank = 165/169
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up. Got dressed. Prepared my fluids. Grabbed a Clif bar and a Luna bar to eat on the way. Packed the car. I decided to use (for the first time on my SUV) my bike rack while I waited for Ana to arrive. I amazingly was able to get it adjusted and mounted before she arrived. It worked out great since her husband and kids were with her...we needed the room. We finished packing and got on the road.
Event warmup:

Arrived...walked to race site...got marked...set up transition. Identified the bike out/in and run out. Went to the restroom and got my chip. While we waited by the swim ramp, we saw Robert (tag), BigJim and my tri friend Susan (from LifeTime). We also saw some fellow HRTCers and Kenny. There were less than 200 participants so the women were all in the same heat. Ana and I decided to do the race together since we would probably not be in the same heat again...and we were just their to have fun.
Swim
  • 19m 35s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim went well...we just took our time. We started out breast stroking to let everyone get ahead of us. We had an easy swim around the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

It went well...I dried my feet off...put on my headband, helmet and sunglasses. Then put on my socks and shoes. It was time to get moving out of transition. I grabbed my bike and ran out of transition.

What would you do differently?:

Eat a gel.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 32s
  • 15 miles
  • 14.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I still have not mastered "clipping in". So I'm slow after I cross the chip mat. But once I got on...I got rolling. The roads were wide and we had plenty of room. The course was nicely prepared and the intersections were well managed. As we rolled through the course...I saw a bridge in the distance. As it neared, I couldn't quite decide if I saw orange cones on the bridge or not (40+ vision issues! LOL)...anyway...the lead cyclists were now coming on the other side of the road...so I see the first guy and I yell "DO WE HAVE TO GO OVER THE BRIDGE?"...his response "WHAT?"...my response "NEVERMIND". I see the next guy...again...I say "DO WE HAVE TO GO OVER THE BRIDGE?"...he simply nods up and down...and responds "YES!". I say to myself "son of a b$@%*"!!! And, so I began to speak to myself (internally)...had my spinning class really prepared me for this? Was I going to walk my bike up it like the lady I could see in the distance in front of me??? That wasn't an option in my mind. So as I neared it...I adjusted my gears and started pedalling as fast as I could. I pedalled fast until I almost reached the top where I passed the lady that was walking her bike...my pedalling slowed but was steady..."I can make it!" I reached the top...and started down the otherside...I didn't want to go too fast since there was a left turn not much further...so I descended with some breaking. Looking ahead...I didn't see anymore bridges (thank goodness!)...I was hoping that I would have enough time to "rest" until having to go over the bridge again. I had plenty of time...I started to run out of gas...and Ana was yelling at me to "get moving". She took the lead and I kept going by the need to keep up with her. We made it back to the bridge...I approached it again in the same manner...only my slow pedalling started much sooner...I struggled more on this ascent...but we made it...the descent was FUN...no turns on the other side...so I let it rip! I set my gears and pedalled as fast as I could down the bridge...my computer wasn't working (again!)...so I don't know what speed I reached...but it was fast! I just prayed that I didn't lose control and crash (a huge fear I have)...and so I concentrated really hard on holding my line. There was another small bridge after the descent which helped to slow me down sooner than I would have liked...but we were cruising. I had a hard time on the last leg of the ride...I had gels but didn't take the time to eat one.

Eat a gel and train more to increase cycling distances and endurance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I racked my bike. Changed socks and shoes. Drank some of my fluids. Ran out of transition.

Eat a gel.
Run
  • 47m 7s
  • 3 miles
  • 15m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I was just tired...we ran out of transition...then were walking before we knew it. I was out of gas. We alternated walking and running to different land marks in an effort to keep our momentum up. We grabbed two cups of water at each mile marker stations...1 1/2 I drank...the remaining 1/2 went onto my head. We ran in as fast as possible over the finish line! Cool! We were done!

Train more to increase our run endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

We received a cold towel and a bottle of water at the finish line. We used the water hose to rinse the saltwater off of us....refreshing! The salt was burning our skin.

After we ate some food, we got a good stretching from a chiropracter. I found out that I have a "tight right hip" that is causing "pain in my right knee area" in the side muscles that keep the knee from rotating. Oh joy! I need to keep stretching the hip to improve the situation.

Event comments:

I will do this race next year.

Last updated: 2006-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:35 | 500 meters | 03m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 0/169
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:02:32 | 15 miles | 14.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/10
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Flat with one small bridge and one medium sized bridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:07 | 03 miles | 15m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/10
Performance:
Course: It was flat except for a small bridge. We ran on the streets then back into the park area where we ran on a sidewalk...as we rounded the last turn towards the finish line...we ran on gravel/pebbles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-04 6:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Summertime Blues Sprint Triathlon

2006-09-04 9:51 PM
in reply to: #530471

User image

Subject: RE: Summertime Blues Sprint Triathlon

Great job Lisa!!!!!

I have a friend that keeps trying to get me to ride with her on her "normal bike route" - which includes several repeats over an overpass bridge!! EEEEKKKK! You did it girl!

Way to go....

Holly

2006-09-05 8:43 AM

Master
Houston
Great job, girlfriend!  I am so proud of your efforts on the bridge, you rock.  Have a wonderful rest day.
2006-09-05 9:57 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Great Job Woman!! i always enjoy reading your race reports. i bet that downhill run was a blast, too bad you didn't get to see how fast you got going, maybe Ana knows? are you already looking forward to next season? i don't know why i asked that, i already know you are!
2006-09-05 10:41 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

VERY NICE JOB!!!!!

Great job on the bridge, I am proud of you!!!!!

2006-09-06 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
NICE JOB LISA!  Congratulations on your race, especially for conquering that bridge!

2006-09-06 8:19 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
Great job on your race, girl  Sounds like that bridge was something you needed to conquer.  Your RR made me wish we could have been there!
2006-09-08 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Congrats on another nice race.  You're becoming addicted.
2006-09-08 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great race! Hopefully we can do this race next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Summertime Blues Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed