General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What did I do wrong with my Xterra Vortex? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-04-28 6:50 PM
in reply to: 5stones

Subject: RE: What did I do wrong with my Xterra Vortex?
I meant that it the suit was in the bag for three hours (T1 until I got home and pulled it out).

Looking at the numbers again, I underestimated how long my gear waited for me.

I put the suit in the race-supplied bag after the swim then -- bike 3:11:52, T2 2:31, run 2:04:30. I ate a piece of pizza and drank a coke, loaded my gear in the car and drove fifteen minutes home.

So, that means more like six hours.

I still think think (and that the couple hundred racers there all did the same thing supports this) that this is reasonable treatment on a race day when the high was something like 72 degrees.

2016-04-28 7:23 PM
in reply to: chrisbundrick

User image

I have mistreated all of my xterra suits- left in bags for hot car rides home, left in hot cars for a few days, etc. still don't buy what you did had anything to do with it Another reason to post on ST is to see if Emilio chimes in (he may not being a competitor) but if you phrase it "how did what I do cause this and what should I do in the future" instead of "xterra sucks" maybe you get a bite
2016-04-28 8:10 PM

Originally posted by chrisbundrick

I think what you're seeing are artifacts from bad photogrpahy more than anything else. There was literally nothing in the bag but my flip flops, towel, goggles, and the suit. The patches on the left and right halves of the chest are where the neoprene melted together and then ripped apart when I pulled it out of the bag. There are similar but smaller patches all over the suit (from wherever the neoprene was touching, I think).

I talked to the rep at Xterra for a while yesterday and while she wasn't unsympathetic, the company is holding firm on this being my fault.

When I explained what I did on the day it melted and asked what I could have done differently the first answer I got was:

"The melting of your wetsuit is due to exposure to heat or direct sunlight.
The best option is to avoid damage like this by drying your suit in a cool place out of the sun and to never leave your wetsuit in the car longer than necessary."

I don't think I can get a new suit somewhere else for less than the $80 trade-in deal they're offering me on the Volt, but then if that Volt is just going to melt the first time I race in it, what sort of deal is that after all?

How hot was it?

A triathlon wetsuit shouldn't melt. Typically they are going to be dumped in transition for hours and should be designed for withstanding long periods of exposure to heat/sun. That is normal use. You should pursue this/ Jump on Slowtwitch and ensure "Xterra" is the in the thread title.
2016-04-28 8:13 PM

Originally posted by chrisbundrick

I meant that it the suit was in the bag for three hours (T1 until I got home and pulled it out).

Looking at the numbers again, I underestimated how long my gear waited for me.

I put the suit in the race-supplied bag after the swim then -- bike 3:11:52, T2 2:31, run 2:04:30. I ate a piece of pizza and drank a coke, loaded my gear in the car and drove fifteen minutes home.

So, that means more like six hours.

I still think think (and that the couple hundred racers there all did the same thing supports this) that this is reasonable treatment on a race day when the high was something like 72 degrees.

Are you kidding me! 72 degrees, that's not even hot.
2016-04-28 8:45 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by fortissimoAsk the question on their facebook page or twitter and see if you get a different response. Post the picture.
And what the heck, throw it out there on slowtwitch. Not like you haven't given them plenty of opportunity to make it right.

+1 to Slowtwitch. That's the place to get the right person't attention.

2016-04-28 8:58 PM
in reply to: Dominion

Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by fortissimoAsk the question on their facebook page or twitter and see if you get a different response. Post the picture.
And what the heck, throw it out there on slowtwitch. Not like you haven't given them plenty of opportunity to make it right.

+1 to Slowtwitch. That's the place to get the right person't attention.

Worked for me!

2016-05-12 2:37 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Sunny San Diego
I have been lurking to see where this thread takes the original poster. I will not speak as to this particular wetsuit or the brand in general, but as an expert in wetsuits, I will say that it is not possible for the company to accurately draw the conclusion they reached simply by looking at the photo. Had it been one of my customers writing about a T1 Wetsuit, I would have asked to have it sent in to me, so that I can forensically determine the cause, and given that in 17 seasons of selling T1 Wetsuits, not a single customer has ever paid for a repair, we would have repaired it for free.
2016-05-12 4:07 PM
in reply to: Emilio

User image

Originally posted by Emilio I have been lurking to see where this thread takes the original poster. I will not speak as to this particular wetsuit or the brand in general, but as an expert in wetsuits, I will say that it is not possible for the company to accurately draw the conclusion they reached simply by looking at the photo. Had it been one of my customers writing about a T1 Wetsuit, I would have asked to have it sent in to me, so that I can forensically determine the cause, and given that in 17 seasons of selling T1 Wetsuits, not a single customer has ever paid for a repair, we would have repaired it for free.

Although I have never owned a de soto wetsuit (just worked out that way, not an inclination one way or the other), but this is why basically all of my tri racing gear is de soto branded.

2016-05-12 9:54 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by DaveL

save the $80 and put it towards something else. If their wetsuits cant survive what you have described there is no point in getting another one.

This. You may not be able to get as good of a deal, but you might be able to find a closeout or sale on a wet suit that will be of better quality. FWIW, I just picked up a T1 espresso from De Soto for $75.00, a couple of weeks back so there are deals to be had if you keep an eye out.
2016-05-13 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Emilio

I have been lurking to see where this thread takes the original poster. I will not speak as to this particular wetsuit or the brand in general, but as an expert in wetsuits, I will say that it is not possible for the company to accurately draw the conclusion they reached simply by looking at the photo. Had it been one of my customers writing about a T1 Wetsuit, I would have asked to have it sent in to me, so that I can forensically determine the cause, and given that in 17 seasons of selling T1 Wetsuits, not a single customer has ever paid for a repair, we would have repaired it for free.

Exactly. Why p*ss about over a $100 wetsuit when you're going to end up with negative publicity. As long as the customer isn't trying to scam you, then a company should do what they can to resolve the customers problem. Telling a customer with a new wetsuit too bad, so sad - just very narrow minded from a business perspective.
2016-05-15 8:01 AM

User image

Sunny San Diego

I would like to do some forensic testing on that rubber to make sure that never happens to any of our wetsuits.

I  will give you $100 for that wetsuit toward the purchase of a T1 Black Pearl Wetsuit and then give you an additional 30% off the price too.

2016-05-15 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
I would wonder if some of the yellow graphics didn't contribute to the 'sticking' .... It looks like it in the photo posted...

Either way, it looks like Emilio has made a generous offer, which will get you sorted rather well
2016-05-15 6:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

You get what you pay for.......Xterra suits are cheap for a reason.  I think they suck.  I've been around hundreds of kids using a variety of wetsuits....without a doubt,  Xterra seems to be the most rip prone and the "softest" of any tri wetsuit on the market.

I know people who like them......not me.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-05-15 6:33 PM
2016-05-15 6:32 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Sunny San Diego

Thanks for your very kind words.  I believe the yellowing of the white part of the graphics is the result of prolonged, excessive, or repetitive exposure to direct sunlight or some other form of ultraviolet light.  There are better inks that can be used to minimize this.

2016-05-16 8:20 AM

I would like to do some forensic testing on that rubber to make sure that never happens to any of our wetsuits.

I  will give you $100 for that wetsuit toward the purchase of a T1 Black Pearl Wetsuit and then give you an additional 30% off the price too.

Wow! Now that is what I call awesome customer service. I think I have only have some tri shorts and socks from desoto which I love both but customer service like this makes me want to buy more desoto stuff.
2016-05-16 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

I'd jump all over this. My T1 (I have the speed tube, vest and full-sleeved pullover) is outstanding. And, to prove his point...."I" put a little nick in my sleeved top....and Emilio offered to fix it.....for free.

Nothing but good things to say about the 2-piece design. It gives me several options.

Good luck.

2016-05-16 12:25 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Sunny San Diego

Originally posted by TriTampa2

Wow! Now that is what I call awesome customer service. I think I have only have some tri shorts and socks from desoto which I love both but customer service like this makes me want to buy more desoto stuff.

Thanks for your very kind words.  I hope you will spread the word about our company.  Also if you want to buy more product, check out the offer shown in my signature.

2016-05-16 12:27 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Sunny San Diego

Originally posted by nc452010

I'd jump all over this. My T1 (I have the speed tube, vest and full-sleeved pullover) is outstanding. And, to prove his point...."I" put a little nick in my sleeved top....and Emilio offered to fix it.....for free. Nothing but good things to say about the 2-piece design. It gives me several options. Good luck.

Thanks for your personal testiment to what has kept our small company alive for over 26 years.  The T1 Wetsuit modular system is not common amongst the masses, but smart people like you are reaping the advantage of that.

2016-05-16 1:28 PM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I went through something similar with them. And instead of even listening to my whole story of what happened I received an email from Keith Simmons telling me it was my fault for leaving it out in the sun.

Well I didn't leave it out in the sun - and the other wetsuits with mine (some xterra and some not) did not stick together and tear by the arms like mine.

You get what you pay for - it's exactly that. And they are a lousy company making a cheap product.
2016-05-16 2:39 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Sunny San Diego

I am sorry to read that about Xterra.  I always thought they were a great company and Keith Simmons seems like a really nice guy.

If there is any way I can assist you with any of our products, please let me know.  We make a really great wetsuit that is very unconventional, but the people who own it swear by it.  We have one model right now that is 30% off, and while it is pricier than Xterra, it comes with an unmatched warranty and customer service that does not disappoint.

Check it out here and just use the code in the description to get the 30% discount:

Black Pearl 30% off (use code T1BPBBPP)

2016-05-16 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM

It's customer service like this that wins loyalty - great job Emilio!

I LOVE my De Soto Liftfoil!

2016-05-16 3:03 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Sunny San Diego

Originally posted by RockTractor

It's customer service like this that wins loyalty - great job Emilio! I LOVE my De Soto Liftfoil!

I am humbled and thankful for your very kind words.  It looks like you sent a photo, but it is password protected.  If it is of you in your Liftfoil, please send it my way!

2016-05-16 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
It looks like you sent a photo, but it is password protected.  If it is of you in your Liftfoil, please send it my way!

Fixed?
2016-05-16 5:18 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Sunny San Diego

This is a great photo.  May we post it on our website?

2016-05-16 8:54 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I went through something similar with them. And instead of even listening to my whole story of what happened I received an email from Keith Simmons telling me it was my fault for leaving it out in the sun.

WTF?? What does he expect you to do with it in T1??
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What did I do wrong with my Xterra Vortex? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 984 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2922 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee

I'm doing this all wrong aren't I?

Started by edwino
Views: 1234 Posts: 16

2005-07-28 11:22 PM us50090

What am I doing wrong - swimming

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1883 Posts: 20

2005-03-24 10:52 PM mikericci

HR on Run...Am I doing something wrong?

Started by swgtri
Views: 1510 Posts: 9

2005-02-24 10:51 AM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.