General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-20 10:49 AM

Subject: Bike fit Question
Looking to move from a road bike to a tri bike. Thinking of getting a fit done first to possibly aid in the decision of specific bike brand.

What method of fitting should I consider. One place uses the automated GURU system another does a modified reteul method, and a third one does some other measurement set up. Money is not an issue as all are the same price and all or most of the fitting can be applied in most cases to a purchase. One consideration i have is what bikes the different shops have and which carries more brands that will possibly work for me. I'm about average height and measurements so hopefully there will be something that fits. One place said pick a bike then it will be fitted and didn't believe in the prefitting process...I'm leaning away from this place. The other places will all do refitting once bikes are purchased.

I can also just take the fitting numbers and use them to purchase independently. Suggestions?

2016-04-20 11:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bike fit Question
It's more the fitter than the system.
All being equal I like Retul because of the way they report.

I would look for a fitter than will fit you on a fit bike and not your bike. You then take the coordinates they give you and select a bike from that.

Edited by marcag 2016-04-20 11:45 AM
2016-04-20 11:58 AM
in reply to: gzh6464

User image

Subject: RE: Bike fit Question

My first 5 or so years in triathlon I bought a bike that matched my measurements, more or less, and then fit it to me.  Finally, I went to a real fitter (Jim Manton at ERO), had him fit me on the Retul, then he adjusted the bike I had the best we could (which wasn't great, but serviceable), then he suggested a number of frames that would work.  Since bought one of those frames and couldn't be happier.  One of the keys for me (IMO) is that ERO does not sell frames, so there was no risk that I was going to be sold a particular product to move inventory.

Not sure what "modified" Retul is, but that's what I'd go with primarily as I have experience with it.  Even better if they are independent and not related to a shop 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Bike, Bike fit Questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 1074 Posts: 8

2011-10-26 11:14 PM gzh6464

Tri-Bike Fitting Question - Pre-Fit

Started by pharmacist25
Views: 1625 Posts: 13

2011-07-13 10:12 AM audiojan

Bike fitting question...

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 1015 Posts: 11

2006-01-17 11:48 PM AdventureBear

Bike Fit Question

Started by Aikane
Views: 890 Posts: 8

2004-09-13 7:26 AM Machiavelo

Bike fitting question

Started by cjy2d
Views: 774 Posts: 6

2004-08-17 1:21 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems