General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I find a new coach? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-26 10:03 AM

User image

Subject: Should I find a new coach?
I'm planning on doing 3 half distances and 2 oly's this season. I'm not super fast but want to improve my times.
I have a local coach who provides me with what seems like a pre-packaged plan on training peaks. I can almost guess week to week what the workouts will be. I receive no feedback whatsoever from any of my workouts or even from a half marathon I did a few weeks ago. Is this normal to not get any feedback? My first tri is in 4 weeks and I'm wondering if I should look for another coach, or is it too late in the season to change?

2016-04-26 10:11 AM
in reply to: Andreah44

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Should I find a new coach?
Generally, when it gets to the point that you are asking for input on a public forum, you have reached the point where, justified or not, you need to start looking for someone you trust in.
2016-04-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Leegoocrap Generally, when it gets to the point that you are asking for input on a public forum, you have reached the point where, justified or not, you need to start looking for someone you trust in.

+1

2016-04-26 10:16 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Andreah44 I'm planning on doing 3 half distances and 2 oly's this season. I'm not super fast but want to improve my times. I have a local coach who provides me with what seems like a pre-packaged plan on training peaks. I can almost guess week to week what the workouts will be. I receive no feedback whatsoever from any of my workouts or even from a half marathon I did a few weeks ago. Is this normal to not get any feedback? My first tri is in 4 weeks and I'm wondering if I should look for another coach, or is it too late in the season to change?

Are you paying for feedback from the "coach" or just for the workouts?

2016-04-26 10:23 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Yes, feedback as well as help in understanding training with power was to be included. I could buy a plan myself if that's what I wanted.
2016-04-26 10:28 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Andreah44 Yes, feedback as well as help in understanding training with power was to be included. I could buy a plan myself if that's what I wanted.

It doesn't sound like you're getting what was agreed to.  If you haven't already I suggest talking to the coach about it.

As far as getting a new coach, there's not much that could be done for your race in only 4 weeks.  The benefits of changing wouldn't be seen until future races.

2016-04-26 10:31 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Andreah44 Yes, feedback as well as help in understanding training with power was to be included. I could buy a plan myself if that's what I wanted.

Then your only options are to talk to the "coach" about your concerns......or dump him/her and move on.

2016-04-26 12:31 PM

User image

I've had 3 coaches in my limited time as a triathlete. The first was terrible, mainly b/c of poor communication. The second was a solid coach with good communication but he wasn't as into the toys as I am (power meters, training peaks, etc). I finished out last year with him and had no regrets. I had actually settled on not having a coach for this season when I struck up a conversation with a guy about swim technique, which turned into having a coach. I receive feedback from just about every training session and we talk (text) almost everyday. In fact, we both commented that it's strange when we go a few days without hearing from each other. I consider myself fortunate in that he might be my coach, but he's also quickly turned into a good friend, hence the constant communication.
2016-04-26 6:31 PM
in reply to: #5178968

User image

Yes! You are wasting your money on a coach. Are you telling me you cannot go to www.google.com and do a search for free triathlon training plans?

Unless you are a top level elite or doping, there is absolutely zero sense in giving someone else your hard earned money when you can do the same thing for free.

It's amazing what triathletes waste their money on!
2016-04-26 6:41 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by AndyEWU07Yes! You are wasting your money on a coach. Are you telling me you cannot go to www.google.com and do a search for free triathlon training plans? Unless you are a top level elite or doping, there is absolutely zero sense in giving someone else your hard earned money when you can do the same thing for free. It's amazing what triathletes waste their money on!
That's a little better than most of your other efforts. I give it a 3/10. ;-)
2016-04-26 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If feedback was part of the agreement, and you're consistently receiving little to none, then it might be time to look for a new coach! It depends on how necessary you feel the feedback is, and how much added value you think the plan the coach gives you has beyond what you could find online by yourself. If the plan is working, and you really would just like the feedback as a sort of, "Good job!" (I'll be honest--sometimes I do. I train pretty much 100% solo and am one of the only triathletes locally; sometimes after a tough breakthrough workout I need a little pat on the back from someone who knows what I went through!), then I might stick out the season for the sake of consistency, talk with the coach about your issues with him/her, and make a decision later. If the plan isn't really working for you, then you'd probably be better off (and save $) using an appropriate plan like those on BT or elsewhere. Most of those are made by professional coaches and you can modify them as needed to fit your schedule and needs.

I've struggled with the coach/no coach issue for years myself. Right now (have an online coach) I feel like I am getting added value--I can see that the plans are adjusted to my strengths/weaknesses, goals, and race schedule, though feedback isn't always as timely, consistent, or detailed as I would like. Coaches do usually have multiple athletes, families, and sometimes their own athletic careers on the plate as well. If it's just a particular day or a weekend with no response, maybe they were at another athlete's A race, dealing with a needier athlete, or racing themselves. Or sick, dealing with sick kids or a family crisis, or something. I would cut a little slack for occasional lapses, but, considering you are paying them for feedback (if that was part of the arrangement) not too much.

2016-04-27 1:25 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by Andreah44

I'm planning on doing 3 half distances and 2 oly's this season. I'm not super fast but want to improve my times.
I have a local coach who provides me with what seems like a pre-packaged plan on training peaks. I can almost guess week to week what the workouts will be. I receive no feedback whatsoever from any of my workouts or even from a half marathon I did a few weeks ago. Is this normal to not get any feedback? My first tri is in 4 weeks and I'm wondering if I should look for another coach, or is it too late in the season to change?

It all comes down to what you paid for and what the expectations are up front. If the coach isn't meeting the agreement you made up front, then maybe it's time to move on. If it's just a miscommunication between you and the coach, this can be fixed with a conversation.

If you decide that maybe a new coach is in store, please send me a message. I coach a lot of athletes online and can do it at a reasonable price point for you.

Good luck
2016-04-27 6:34 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

Sarasota, Florida
Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Yes! You are wasting your money on a coach. Are you telling me you cannot go to www.google.com and do a search for free triathlon training plans?

Unless you are a top level elite or doping, there is absolutely zero sense in giving someone else your hard earned money when you can do the same thing for free.

It's amazing what triathletes waste their money on!

Trolling? haha
I'm not convinced. I can see why someone would want one. I have never had one. I'm doing sprints and hope to train for bigger ones soon but a coach could have saved some embarrassment not to mention many other reasons for one.
2016-04-28 11:14 AM

Did he give you a truckers hat yet. Oh wait wrong forum.
2016-04-28 12:01 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Andreah44

No not too late at all.

A coach can help assess the training you've done, confirm your training paces & strategies, and like Don said, contribute to upcoming race opportunities and training. At this point, you may just want to consutl with a coach for an hour who will review your training peaks data and give you feedback (anything is better than nothing) and just let the plan run for the next 4 weeks...then resume on your own or with a new coach afterwards.

Also if for no other reason than to give the coach an opportunity to improve, tell him/her why you are leaving if that's what you decide.

I wouldn't spend anymore money on what you are getting.
2016-04-28 1:43 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by AndyEWU07Yes! You are wasting your money on a coach. Are you telling me you cannot go to www.google.com and do a search for free triathlon training plans? Unless you are a top level elite or doping, there is absolutely zero sense in giving someone else your hard earned money when you can do the same thing for free. It's amazing what triathletes waste their money on!
That's a little better than most of your other efforts. I give it a 3/10. ;-)

I like how he says you need a coach if your doping!!! I guess he needs someone else to stick the needle in his a$$.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I find a new coach? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need help finding a coach

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 976 Posts: 8

2006-07-14 8:58 AM virgingirl

Who needs a coach since I found this on Ebay

Started by CVSURF
Views: 1193 Posts: 6

2006-06-10 11:44 AM robj3411

#where can I find a good triathlon coach?

Started by Jeff Brisley
Views: 2599 Posts: 15

2004-12-27 11:06 AM Sub10IM

Small new feature for finding new articles.

Started by Ron
Views: 865 Posts: 3

2004-11-15 2:29 PM infosteward

Finding a Tri coach

Started by satchmo72
Views: 666 Posts: 6

2004-08-26 1:11 PM Live2Tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.