General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Again. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-05-17 2:56 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Again. Am I Doomed?

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I believe someone mentioned it earlier but IMO the OP needs to stick with shorter races, sprints and olys.  Once he get a good training habits down and adheres to a schedule then move up to the longer stuff.

I really don't understand why not starting with Oly and Sprint. These are fun too!

Some people get into triathlon and only think long course counts.  That the short races are "easy".  I have friends who will only race HIM or IM and if they don't have the time to train for it, will not race sprint or oly.  "it's not worth my time" has been repeated to me by more then one acquaintance.   Even ironically people who will sign up for an oly but not a sprint.  Everyone has their own reasoning I guess.

Oh, absolutely - I totally agree with you. Just like there are people who only do marathons and those who only go with 5ks. After few years of training I don't bother with 5k races (even though they're fun!) because, just like with your iron friends - it's a money and time I could commit to the "longer" races I train for. What I mean is: your friends, and other folks who are IM-only-oriented, know the beast they're dealing with, they understand the amount of time, training, commitment, and other things they have to sacrifice. For somebody who has never ever done swim-bike-run race and DOES NOT have time to do extreme amount of training, sprint or oly is a great way to at least see how it looks/feels like.

And then there are the really fast sprint racers who put as much time into training as someone doing an IM........called "plodders" by the fast sprint folks.

There is plenty of room for everyone to think the other way is wrong for them.  LOL

2016-05-17 2:57 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Looks like we've at least managed to jack up the quote feature.

2016-05-17 7:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

OP - forget the IM dream for the moment. Concentrate on shorter distances, get into a good, regular training routine, start setting some short-term goals and go from there. Completing an IM is not about turning up, racing, finishing. It's about the hard work you've put in, getting up early day after day training hour after hour, sacrifice, missing out on social occasions etc etc you're doing none of that. You may bimble home in 16.59 and you may feel elation, initially, at finishing, but that will very quickly dissipate, replaced by a black, hollow, emptiness..
2016-05-18 12:08 AM
in reply to: 5Sigma

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
2016-05-18 10:21 AM
in reply to: zedzded

Originally posted by zedzded

OP - forget the IM dream for the moment. Concentrate on shorter distances, get into a good, regular training routine, start setting some short-term goals and go from there. Completing an IM is not about turning up, racing, finishing. It's about the hard work you've put in, getting up early day after day training hour after hour, sacrifice, missing out on social occasions etc etc you're doing none of that. You may bimble home in 16.59 and you may feel elation, initially, at finishing, but that will very quickly dissipate, replaced by a black, hollow, emptiness..

I agree with pretty much all you've said. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the OPs "planning" because in my triathlon I've been much more conservative in my approach and have slowly progressed in both my training and my distances. 1st year of triathlons I did a couple sprints early and then progressed to a couple of olympic distances near end of the year. 2nd year of triathlons I did an Olympic and 2 HIMs and the training plans and schedules were all planned out the previous year. This year, my 3rd year doing triathlons, I'm doing some sprints, an Olympic, and an HIM but honestly my main goal this year is to really start focused on more structured training workouts so when I do my first IM next year. I could have managed an IM this year but I changed cities and wasn't certain how my training would fit in with moving. I'm sure my approach is more conservative compared to many but for me I don't feel the need to rush to the IM distance.

I think it's been said before but I don't think the OP respects the IM distance.
2016-05-18 11:19 AM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by TriTampa2

I think it's been said before but I don't think the OP respects the IM distance.

Yup! And it seems he likes spending money for races thinking that's the best way to get prepared for the IM he signed up for.

This guy is a putz and a joke to me.

2016-05-18 12:52 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by 3mar How about this. Scrap all your upcoming races except for the IM. Like others have said, they won't do you any good. Not knowing your schedule, I'll just assume you have an hour a day during the week and unlimited time on the weekends to workout. Here is the only way (I think) you could do it: Sunday: Long run (see schedule below) Monday: Swim (build to 4,000m over time) Tuesday: Run 6 miles easy Wednesday: Ride 1 hr Thursday: Swim (build to 4,000m over time) Friday: Run 6 miles easy (optional day off) Saturday: Long ride (see schedule below) w/ 2 mile run off the bike Long Runs: 5/22 - 10 miles 5/29 - 12 miles 6/5 - 15 miles 6/12 - 18 miles 6/19 - 20 miles 6/26 - 18 miles 7/3 - 10 miles Long Rides: 5/21 - 40 miles 5/28 - 50 miles 6/4 - 60 miles 6/11 - 70 miles 6/19 - 80 miles 6/25 - 90 miles 7/2 - 50 miles Be consistent. Build. Go easy so you don't burn out (there's a good chance of that anyway). And I think you have a very legitimate shot at finishing. Jump around haphazardly doing randomly spaced events mixed in with bouts of no training and you'll repeat NICE.

Not sure why I bother, because the odds of the OP following this advice are about nil.  But, while I mostly agree with what you laid out, I'd say scrap the long run and add another bike (and lengthen some of those on there already--to well over 100).  The OP is never going to run the IM marathon at this stage, so no need to pretend.  It will be a victory if he gets there.  Do a little bit of running and a lot of swimming and biking.  Bag all the racing.

To the OP:  Stop.  Just stop.  Stop registering for races.  Stop looking for a shortcut. Please. Just.  Stop!

Seriously.

What JK says about 3Mar's suggestion above is your only hope of experiencing anything other than a spectacular implosion on race day.

Doing anything other than this is a decision to fail, most likely in the form of another DNF.

2016-05-19 4:47 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Not sure why I bother, because the odds of the OP following this advice are about nil.  But, while I mostly agree with what you laid out, I'd say scrap the long run and add another bike (and lengthen some of those on there already--to well over 100).  The OP is never going to run the IM marathon at this stage, so no need to pretend.  It will be a victory if he gets there.  Do a little bit of running and a lot of swimming and biking.  Bag all the racing.

To the OP:  Stop.  Just stop.  Stop registering for races.  Stop looking for a shortcut. Please. Just.  Stop!

Seriously.

What JK says about 3Mar's suggestion above is your only hope of experiencing anything other than a spectacular implosion on race day.

Doing anything other than this is a decision to fail, most likely in the form of another DNF.

My theory is that our OP believes signing up for races is the best "forcing function" for him to actually train, and even if he doesn't train for the race, then the race itself will have training benefit.

For most of us, having a race scheduled provides a goal that focuses our training and provides just a little more motivation to get out to train.  Sometimes that little extra motivation is just enough to avoid bagging a scheduled swim, say, when we're a bit more tired one morning.  Clearly our OP needs more than a little extra, as you can see from this quote:

Originally posted by 5Sigma I generally agree with the comments around priority, I generally think of lack of time as being lack of priority. It's more than fair to say, that I haven't given this Ironman the priority that is required. 

Races can provide training benefit, both in terms of experience and the actual mileage of the race. When I have a hard 10K run scheduled, I'd much prefer to sign up for a 10K and go race it than just do it by myself.  But again, my racing is once or twice a month in addition to all the regular training I do.  I think our OP wants to rely mostly on racing rather than training.

Consistent, disciplined training is the key to success in Ironman, and our OP is clearly lacking in both consistency and discipline.

2016-05-19 4:59 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Sarasota, Florida
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Seriously.

My theory is that our OP believes signing up for races is the best "forcing function" for him to actually train, and even if he doesn't train for the race, then the race itself will have training benefit.

For most of us, having a race scheduled provides a goal that focuses our training and provides just a little more motivation to get out to train.  Sometimes that little extra motivation is just enough to avoid bagging a scheduled swim, say, when we're a bit more tired one morning.  Clearly our OP needs more than a little extra, as you can see from this quote:

Originally posted by 5Sigma I generally agree with the comments around priority, I generally think of lack of time as being lack of priority. It's more than fair to say, that I haven't given this Ironman the priority that is required. 

Races can provide training benefit, both in terms of experience and the actual mileage of the race. When I have a hard 10K run scheduled, I'd much prefer to sign up for a 10K and go race it than just do it by myself.  But again, my racing is once or twice a month in addition to all the regular training I do.  I think our OP wants to rely mostly on racing rather than training.

Consistent, disciplined training is the key to success in Ironman, and our OP is clearly lacking in both consistency and discipline.

Reminds me of someone I knew that made a new years resolution to lose some weight and start exercising. I guess he thought if he spent a lot of money it would be a leap of commitment to seal the deal. He bought a year's supply of protein powder and gym membership except he drank all the powder and never went to the gym so he wound up fatter. I wouldn't discourage the OP entirely but as you point out you don't need to register to train. Sounds like the OP just needs to get going with a plan and it usually gets easier from there. I found using the training log on this site made me OCD about those gaps on the calendar. Must make the boxes of colors and icons match!
2016-05-20 5:00 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by runtim23

Seriously.

Reminds me of someone I knew that made a new years resolution to lose some weight and start exercising. I guess he thought if he spent a lot of money it would be a leap of commitment to seal the deal. He bought a year's supply of protein powder and gym membership except he drank all the powder and never went to the gym so he wound up fatter. I wouldn't discourage the OP entirely but as you point out you don't need to register to train. Sounds like the OP just needs to get going with a plan and it usually gets easier from there. I found using the training log on this site made me OCD about those gaps on the calendar. Must make the boxes of colors and icons match!
Yeah, the OP's problem isn't a training problem. The issue lies between his ears. We need to change our mind before we can change our body. He/she needs to break the current pattern, ask themselves some tough questions, then select their path.
2016-05-20 11:47 AM
in reply to: 0

I really don't understand why not starting with Oly and Sprint. These are fun too!

When I signed up for my first tri, I had never run the distance required in a sprint.
I wasn't fat anymore, but running wasn't part of my fitness. I'd been doing 15 minutes or so on a treadmill (I could go for hours...well...AN hour) on an Arc Trainer or an elliptical. First time I tried running outside, I decided I was going to do two miles. The course I planned would have actually been 3 miles (this was before I discovered MapMyRun, etc.).

Didn't matter. I went .17 miles (I just MapMyrunned it) before I was 'done' and walking. All said and done, I made it .5 miles.
Silly me, I had to cancel that race and quickly signed up for another at the race directors suggestion. It was actually a longer run. 4 miles! I wasn't sure I'd make it. But, by the time the race rolled around....I KNEW I could make the run. But I still had know idea about knitting all the disciplines together. Made it. No problem.

I only started started this triathlon journey (well in to my weightloss journey)....because I found out there were shorter distances. Yes, of course, I have to admit though, there's a dream of a "full". I'm 45. I was the perfect age for WIde World of Sports. USA Hockey. Barrel jumping on ice skates and other relatively obscure sports shown on weekends. As a kid, I thought "Ironman! How cool! Imma gonna do that some day." Then, by the time I could do it, I was old and fat.

Now. Different story. After completing a half last year (thinking...hey a half at 44 and full at 45! Never a better time.). I realized I do not have the devotion to commit to that time. A half? Heck, you can train before work without having to get up much earlier than 6:30. I trained during the week in the morning, as opposed to going to the gym in the evening. MORE family time than usual. Weekends? You're talking 2-4 hours. Since I was used to getting up early, I'd be home after a mile in the pool and 10-13 miles running, or 3 hours on the bike.....BEFORE the family woke up.

I quickly realized that a full? Sheesh. That's a different story. That'd be gym in the morning AND the evening. Weekends, probably 7-8+ hours each day. Nooooope...nope and nope. Not right now. It's still on the bucket list. But after the success I felt I had at RACING (not trying to win) the half (6 hours and some change, I think is a pretty respectable RACE for a former fat guy with no fitness experience prior to 4 years ago). If I'm gonna do a full, I'm going to RACE it. I don't have the inclination to sacrifice time away from other things at the moment, which you have to do for a full.

Yah, I'm sorta 'blah' about an upcoming Olympic. Only because I'm maintaining a level of fitness pretty much year round to knock one off at a decent clip (for me). Sprints I do because they're just fun. I'm never going to place, even if I trained specifically for them. Any race where I can swim in something other than a pool is a thrill.

Stealing from someone else's post....half's are plenty epic for me at the moment and help me maintain serious calorie burn to keep the weight off.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-05-20 11:49 AM

2016-05-20 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree. The OP needs to stop signing up for IM, get into the habit of regular training, and enter shorter races. Seriously, I would be wary of doing a sprint on the amount of training he mentions. Maybe set a goal of Olympic this year, half next year, IM the year after that, if that is his long-term goal.

I have never really understood the obsession with full IM. That is just a huge commitment of time and energy, and I see so many people come and go on this forum who do their IM and then leave the sport due to injury or burnout. I realize there are some people who (hopefully with support of their spouse/ partner/family) commit to making it a lifestyle and do one or two every year. I am in awe of folks like Lew Hollander who do them for decades! But I've also realized it's not for me, right now.

I do train. At peak, for HIM, I train 15-16 hours a week, before and sometimes after work. I'm single with no kids, but a demanding full time (and a half?) job that has me on my feet most of every workday. I take work home on weekends. At times I have done graduate coursework while training and working full time. HIM training is enough right now. Any more, and triathlon would feel like another job. When a bike ride is taking 5-7 hours, that's a day of my weekend. I don't really have that time to begin with; if I made time, which I suppose I could, it would feel like a job. It's not how I want to spend my weekend. Maybe if I had somewhere nice to ride and cool people to ride with. I don't, at least for 10 1/2 months a year. Could I finish a full IM off my current training? Possibly. Endurance is my forte and I'm good at pacing myself. Would I want to? No. Races that one isn't fully prepared for tend to suck, and I feel like it would be disrespectful to those who have put in the proper preparation.

I have been in endurance sports for 36 years, mostly as a runner, sometimes swimmer. One of my first swim coaches was one of the early Ironmen, so I've known about it since maybe age 10. That race scares me, and it still does. I saw how hard my coach worked (he often trained with us), that level of total dedication.For a long time I thought all tris were full IM (Maybe that was the case back then?) so never got into the sport until doing a sprint at age 41. I qualified for the World 70.3 Championships two weeks ago, at age 46. And I STILL am in no hurry to do a full IM. To be honest, I find the actual RACE for sprint in particular much more difficult, because of the intensity. You're NOT holding back (at least I'm not), there's no waffling about what power level or pace you should go, it's just pedal to the metal the entire time. I'm generally fighting nausea from the last half of the bike onwards, and for a few hours after. I would have ZERO issues with the challenge level of sprint or Oly if my lifestyle changed and I didn't have time to prepare for longer races. I know plenty of people who have spent their athletic lives focused on running a fast 5K. That's fine. There's nothing magic about IM. It's a great challenge, but it isn't the right one for everyone at every time.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-05-20 6:33 PM
2016-05-22 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I was at a spin class yesterday, one that is on really nice stationary bikes with power meters.  Lots of intense intervals, hill climbing, Tabata drills and the like. The instructor is well known to enthusiastically tough on us, and much of her encouraging words would apply to this thread, but in particular she this:

Are you WANTING?  Are you WISHING?  Or are you WORKING? 

Our OP is wanting to achieve his goals, wishing to achieve them, but not working to achieve them.  Until he realizes that, he won't ever achieve them.  Simple as that.

2016-05-22 6:21 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

I was at a spin class yesterday, one that is on really nice stationary bikes with power meters.  Lots of intense intervals, hill climbing, Tabata drills and the like. The instructor is well known to enthusiastically tough on us, and much of her encouraging words would apply to this thread, but in particular she this:

Our OP is wanting to achieve his goals, wishing to achieve them, but not working to achieve them.  Until he realizes that, he won't ever achieve them.  Simple as that.

Based on last years thread and this years thread the fairytale ending is you and the OP finishing a 140.6 together. Crossing the finish line arm in arm,'possible with some tears in yours eyes.
2016-05-22 7:12 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Based on last years thread and this years thread the fairytale ending is you and the OP finishing a 140.6 together. Crossing the finish line arm in arm,'possible with some tears in yours eyes.

Sounds great! 

But it would have to be next year for me.  I am intentionally avoiding an IM this year because I know work pressures are too high to adequately train. I have a half IM in Hawaii on June 4th and another in Austin in early November.  Plus a few marathons and other races.  I'm still doing my race-every-month plan and having a blast doing that, plus enjoying the shorter training rides more. 

The thing about IM rides is that they take all damn day for me.  I enjoy going on a 60 mile ride and knowing it's more than the race distance, rather than going on the same ride and feeling wimpy because it's not even close to far enough.

2016-05-22 8:08 PM

User image

Sounds great! 

But it would have to be next year for me.  I am intentionally avoiding an IM this year because I know work pressures are too high to adequately train. I have a half IM in Hawaii on June 4th and another in Austin in early November.  Plus a few marathons and other races.  I'm still doing my race-every-month plan and having a blast doing that, plus enjoying the shorter training rides more. 

The thing about IM rides is that they take all damn day for me.  I enjoy going on a 60 mile ride and knowing it's more than the race distance, rather than going on the same ride and feeling wimpy because it's not even close to far enough.

who said anything about adequate training *that was supposed to be in pink

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-05-22 8:09 PM

2016-06-10 3:59 AM

Hey 5Sigma,

I think you're positive attitude is commendable, however deluded you may be. Don't listen to the naysayers!
2016-06-10 12:13 PM
in reply to: jonnyb123

User image

Originally posted by jonnyb123 Hey 5Sigma, I think you're positive attitude is commendable, however deluded you may be. Don't listen to the naysayers!

Yeah, cuz they were all wrong the last time!!!!   LOL

what a train wreck this is

2016-06-10 12:52 PM
in reply to: jonnyb123

User image

Originally posted by jonnyb123 Hey 5Sigma, I think you're positive attitude is commendable, however deluded you may be. Don't listen to the naysayers!

You are missing part of the story.  Myself and many others here were supportive of him last year when he did the same thing.  While I wish him well this year he didn't exactly learn anything from multiple mistakes last year, doing much of the same again.

This thread popped back up and I was hoping for an update from 5Sigma !

2016-06-10 1:00 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

You are missing part of the story.  Myself and many others here were supportive of him last year when he did the same thing.  While I wish him well this year he didn't exactly learn anything from multiple mistakes last year, doing much of the same again.

According to his schedule, the OP is doing 5K swim today. So there may be an update.

As for the "naysayers" post - seems like a troll to me. Jonnyb123 with no posts history, jumps into the discussion that has been in archives for weeks, and makes a comment.

Edited by marysia83 2016-06-10 1:00 PM
2016-07-08 4:13 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

, England

Apologies for my absence! An update is in order.

I would like to declare that I have been so busy training that I haven't had time to post.

Sadly that's not true.

I didn't do the marathon due to a light injury I picked up during my olympic triathlon, and I decided that the 5km swim was unnecessary.

I did a half-ironman on 12/6/2016. It didn't go especially well, but I finished with 7:03 which is at least better than a DNF, but indicates as DNF for the full distance.

Swim: 0:43
Cycle: 3:42
Run: 2:23

I picked up a bit of a knee injury on the bike and lost quite a bit of time, I would expect a 3:25 which is still lackluster. I just fell to pieces on the run, in hindsight my nutrition strategy was totally lacking.

Since then I have managed a few longer rides and runs.

Last weekend I did a brick of 56 mile cycle and 18 mile run. It was a pace fast enough to finish but it totally destroyed me.

This weekend I am doing another brick with an 80 mile cycle followed by a 21 mile run.

My Ironman is next week and sadly it's another case of too little too late. That said, I will be turning up and giving it a go and hoping for the best.

2016-07-08 4:36 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by 5Sigma

Apologies for my absence! An update is in order.

I would like to declare that I have been so busy training that I haven't had time to post.

Sadly that's not true.

I didn't do the marathon due to a light injury I picked up during my olympic triathlon, and I decided that the 5km swim was unnecessary.

I did a half-ironman on 12/6/2016. It didn't go especially well, but I finished with 7:03 which is at least better than a DNF, but indicates as DNF for the full distance.

Swim: 0:43
Cycle: 3:42
Run: 2:23

I picked up a bit of a knee injury on the bike and lost quite a bit of time, I would expect a 3:25 which is still lackluster. I just fell to pieces on the run, in hindsight my nutrition strategy was totally lacking.

Since then I have managed a few longer rides and runs.

Last weekend I did a brick of 56 mile cycle and 18 mile run. It was a pace fast enough to finish but it totally destroyed me.

This weekend I am doing another brick with an 80 mile cycle followed by a 21 mile run.

My Ironman is next week and sadly it's another case of too little too late. That said, I will be turning up and giving it a go and hoping for the best.

I am very, very, very happy you're alive (and that you passed on marathon and 5k swim). Can you please, please not sign up for IM next year, but instead devote more time to training? It is sometimes painful to read your training/race updates :/
2016-07-08 4:54 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I would not recommend the 80 mile bike/21 mile run just days before your IM. It's going to wreck you

2016-07-08 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
2016-07-09 7:04 PM

User image

I'd like to track you race day. If you wouldn't mind posting you bib # or PM.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Again. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed? Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by 5Sigma
Views: 21023 Posts: 184

2015-07-06 6:40 PM bdenehy

IMLP 2008 sign-ups

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 1365 Posts: 6

2007-05-07 1:55 PM TimmyMay

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1841 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16

Started by newadventures
Views: 1345 Posts: 9

2006-06-08 7:59 PM newadventures

IMCDA 2006 Sign ups

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1260 Posts: 3

2005-08-16 9:48 PM PGoldberger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
comments : 0
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!