General Discussion Race Reports! » Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jekyll Island, Georgia
United States
Peak Racing Team
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 38s
Overall Rank = 4/109
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up to Jekyll the day before. Swam 650m prior to arriving. Went to race expo and demo'ed a set of NORMATEC PULSE LEG RECOVERY SYSTEM for 20 minutes, they are good but not $1600 good. Then we had dinner at Wee Pub (chicken philly and sweet potato fries). Checked in to Villas by the sea and ran an easy 2 miles, then walked on the beach with the family. Got up at 5:45, had banana, coffee, and larabar. drove to the race site, 6:30 set up transition, used the north bathroom (completely empty) then took some water, forgot my anti fatigue caps, which I took during T1. Last took a few licks of base salt.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for an easy 2.5 miles warmup then put the wetsuit on and headed to the beach. the walk was far too long to be 600m, so a little bummed about that but knew I could handle the extra distance and it would help me out. Took a gu carmel machiatto. Swam a quick 100m then waited for the gun to fire.
Swim
  • 17m 19s
  • 1100 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Actual swim time was 16:03 which is a 1:28/100m, including the .1miles up the beach my time was 17:19 which is 1:34/100m. I have absolutely no clue how they did the math so badly and essentially doubled the swim course. I started front left corner of the swim pack, providing straight line to the first buoy then rounded the turn and picked people off one by one. Ended up only 10% of people swam with wetsuits, so I knew I would have one of the better swims of the day but was very please to be #5.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Pretty standard transition as far as they go. 15th/100 people for me which is pretty good. Dug through my bag to find anti fatigues and took 2. Dumped a water bottle on myself to try and knock most of the salt water off; this worked pretty good.

Remember to take anti fatigues 1 hour before the race.
Bike
  • 37m 10s
  • 14.6 miles
  • 23.57 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan was to swim efficiently, go all out on the bike, and make it through the run. I came out of the swim and was upset about the distance but figure that it wasn't going to hurt me that bad. I took a gu about .5 miles in as soon as the mounting mess got settled out. The winds were light 5-9 mph from the nw so i knew the 1st 4 and last 3 miles were going to be into a slight headwind but nothing too bad. Saw the family at villas by the sea at mile 3.5 and gave them a big smile. I hit it hard hoping to get 24 mph on the bike and my HR was pegged at 175-180 bpm. After mile 4 I was having trouble holding 180 bpm and maintaining aero. I back off the pace slightly and would come out of aero for short stretches to pass people, there were so many people doing the international that needed to be passed. The last 6 mile, the southern tip, I settled into a good 175 bpm pace at 23-24 mph and just held on. At mile 10 my water bottle went dry, usually it will hold me 11-13 miles but I was drinking often due to the pace. So last few miles had nothing to sip on. Took a gu at the round about before transition.

I probably rode too hard 2 days before the try taking 11 mile segments @ 23mph. I should have taken anti fatigue before the race. Should have carried an extra bottle of hydration. I really can't complain with the bike because it was 3rd best of the day and the fastest bike I have ever put down on a triathlon.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Got off the bike, legs were a bit shaky. Put of socks and shoes on, picked up visor and bib. started running out. Got told 1 was a minute back on the 3 top guys but knew they were out of reach at that point.

Nothing
Run
  • 19m 51s
  • 2.95 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out the 1st .25 miles pretty unsure of where I was going but listened to volunteers and followed the orange cones. Saw the family and gave some big smiles and just went after it. The plan was to negative split the run since I normally go out too hard on the first couple miles. At the holiday inn I picked up the leaders with a .25-.5 miles lead on me, which meant they were opening. I hit the turn and picked up the HR to max holding speed as I came back into great dunes. I saw all the sprint triathletes now on the run course which was very motivating and they gave me lots of good props. I stopped for powerade and a cup of water dumped on my head at mile 1, and stopped for water and a cup of water dumped on my head at mile 2.

Tried to go slightly harder on the 1st mile and be more familiar with the course.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race is was 8:50, collected the family and headed back to the hotel. It was 2 hours away from awards and the kids could get a chance to go to the beach while I got a shower and stretched. Made it back to awards, was stoke to get 4th overall and 1st in AG.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Over-training by trying to take too many KOM's on strava. Not managing nutrition properly as I had in previous races. But nothing really as this was my best sprint triathlon ever.

Event comments:

This is a great race venue for the whole family. It was recently featured in triathlete magazine as a must do race; however only 200 sprint triathletes and 100 olympic triathletes showed up to race.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/next-family-racecation-jekyll-islan...

I highly recommend this race, venue was great, support was great, awards were great. Stay for the weekend but bring your own food as dining options are limited and expensive. You can bike and run for days here, drivers are very good with bikers and there are paths all over the island.

Last updated: 2016-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:19 | 1100 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 5/109
Performance: Good
https://www.strava.com/activities/577114456
Suit: Nineteen Tsunami
Course: 600 meter rectangular swim, 100 meters out, 400 meters north, 100 meters in, 150 meter run to transition. The course was supposed to look like this: http://www.jekyllisland.com/jekyllislandwp/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-turtle-crawl-swim-map.pdf However, when we walked down we were easily 200-300m south of the Westin, so I knew the swim was going to be long.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:10 | 14.6 miles | 23.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 3/109
HR 174, cadence 105, estimated power 249 watts https://www.strava.com/activities/575627307
Wind: Little
Course: Bike is 14.5 mile loop of island starting at convention center heading counter clockwise. http://www.jekyllisland.com/jekyllislandwp/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-turtle-crawl-bike-map.pdf
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:51 | 02.95 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 7/109
average HR 173bpm 1st mile - 6:53 - 171bpm 2nd mile - 6:38 - 173bpm 3rd mile - 6:39 - 177bpm https://www.strava.com/activities/577114474/overview
Course: Run from convention center out to the Holiday Inn and then back finishing in the convention center parking lot. http://www.jekyllisland.com/jekyllislandwp/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-turtle-crawl-tri-run-swim-maps.pdf
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-15 1:26 PM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl Sprint Triathlon

2016-05-16 11:58 AM
in reply to: #5181857

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl Sprint Triathlon

Congrats on a great race! Kudos on the podium too!

My son is at Kings Bay and was going to do this race but forgot his bike shoes

I spent 6 months in Brunswick so I know the venue well. Very jealous of you getting to race this one.

Nice job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Turtle Crawl Sprint Triathlon

Started by Anditrigirl
Views: 1032 Posts: 1

2012-05-20 8:02 PM Anditrigirl

Started by coastie82
Views: 842 Posts: 1

2012-05-20 6:26 PM coastie82

Started by ijen0311
Views: 930 Posts: 1

2011-05-29 5:17 PM ijen0311

Started by bdroppleman
Views: 997 Posts: 1

2011-05-24 12:14 PM bdroppleman

Started by TRI-ing soldier
Views: 1172 Posts: 1

2011-05-23 4:08 PM TRI-ing soldier
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.