Elite Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 am - shower, cliff bar, red bull, and gatorade/whey mix. Arrived at 25th street parking around 6 am.
Event warmup:

1 mile run to the start at 9ish pace to get the legs moving. This race was only going to be a slow training run as I was going to pace my friend (doing his first half) to a sub 2 hour finish. Although, we both knew a more realistic time for him was 2:10ish based on his training.

The plan was to meet him at bag drop off around 6:15ish. We missed each other.
Run
  • 2h 07m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Seeing how I missed my friend before the start, I went to the back of his coral to see if I could find him. No luck finding him before the start. When we finally were off, I stayed at the very back of the coral and decided I would weave my way up in an effort to find him. My plan was to look for him until mile 2. At that point if I didn't find him I was on my own. I also came to the conclusion that if I was going to run on my own that I needed to make up some time to run at least a sub 1:45. I didn't think a PR was in order as I lost so much time at the beginning and my mental preparation for the race was on training, not PR. After mile 1 (8:30ish), I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't find him and I was going to have to start pushing the pace. I decided that mile 2 would be at ideal race pace (7:45ish) to see what I had. I felt bad weaving around so many people who probably thought I had no idea what pacing was. My legs were cranky and I was very much looking forward to hopefully finding my friend as I just didn't know what would happen otherwise. FINALLY, the seas parted a little before mile 2 and I found him! It turns out I missed his coral by 1.

Ok - back to the original plan. I would run with him at his pace until mile 12. At that point, he was mine! We kept a nice and easy 9 flat pace until about mile 8 where he started to slow. As we arrived into town I warned him not to pay attention to the street numbers as we made our way up Atlantic. I know from experience this can be frustrating (he told me after the race that we was counting the street numbers and it was a bad idea). Somewhere between mile 9 and 10, the hasher oasis (beer stop) appeared. That was the best tasting 'water' stop I have ever had - thank you hashers! Anyway, miles 10 - 12 were a combination of walking and running. My friend was feeling it. At the water stop before mile 12, I encouraged my friend to gather all his energy as we were going to run the final mile. He did great - no walking the last mile and he even sprinted for the last .1! Mission accomplished - he is a half marathoner. :)

I love this race - lot's of fun! I particularly enjoyed pacing somebody as I was much more able to take it all in. :)

Great weekend all the way around, including the BT swim and dinner on Saturday.
What would you do differently?:

Find my friend a head of time.
Post race
Warm down:

Met a couple of different groups of friends after the race, including the cool BTers. :)

Event comments:

As always a fun race.

However, I was disappointed to see that they were not offering GU's at mile 10 like in year's past. If I had planned on that as part of my nutrition plan, I would have been upset!

Last updated: 2006-05-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:11 | 13.1 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Usual loop around southern part of VB ocean front.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-05 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: 2006 Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon

2006-09-05 12:47 PM
in reply to: #531030

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: 2006 Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon
Great job!  Sounds like it was a great time - and you're right - hashers are the best.   
2006-09-05 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Awesome race, Doug! It was so cool to meet you and other VA BTers. The rest of us were so slow that the hashers had run out by the time we ran past. Overall, great race, great weekend!
2006-09-05 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Nice race. Good job pacing your friend. Nice to meet you on the swim Saturday. Good luck in your race next week.
2006-09-05 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job pacing your friend. I can't believe I never saw the hashers. Always a fun race.
2006-09-07 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis

I think my favorite beer EVER was at mile 7 of my first 1/2 marathon, so I know exactly what you mean!

Great race, my man. It's fun slowing it down and enjoying the sites every now and again, eh? Congrats on sticking with your buddy.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Rss Feed