General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold OWS Question regarding Cap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-16 8:10 AM

Malvern, PA
Subject: Cold OWS Question regarding Cap
I am doing my first tri in 2 years this coming weekend. Olympic length. The OWS will be cold, probably 58-60 degrees.

Should I wear a swim cap under the colored cap they provide to keep my head warmer? If I wear two swim caps, what is the order of putting on goggle straps? I am guessing swim cap/goggles/event cap. Is that right?

Also, the only cap I have is latex. Is it important to get a silicone one or can I just use the latex one?

BTW I have an old wetsuit, last use was 2 years ago but I tried it on over the weekend and it is intact.

2016-05-16 8:50 AM
in reply to: datlas

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Cold OWS Question regarding Cap
Originally posted by datlas

I am doing my first tri in 2 years this coming weekend. Olympic length. The OWS will be cold, probably 58-60 degrees.

Should I wear a swim cap under the colored cap they provide to keep my head warmer? If I wear two swim caps, what is the order of putting on goggle straps? I am guessing swim cap/goggles/event cap. Is that right?

Also, the only cap I have is latex. Is it important to get a silicone one or can I just use the latex one?

BTW I have an old wetsuit, last use was 2 years ago but I tried it on over the weekend and it is intact.

Depends on your tolerance to the cold.
Which event are you doing? I am in Bassman this weekend, and was told that it feel warmer than the measured temp. Because it is a lake the top foot of water tends to be warmer than the measured temperatures.

With those temps just one cap, the one they give me. I always put goggle over the cap, but I think that's just personnel preference.
2016-05-16 9:28 AM
in reply to: mike761

Malvern, PA
I am doing French Creek. I don't know for sure the water temps but I am guessing it will be 60ish. I am thinking I may not need the extra cap but unsure.
2016-05-16 9:37 AM

User image

Here is what I do for a cold water swim.

First I put in ear plugs. Then I put on my own swim cap. Then I put on my goggles. Then I put on the swim cap supplied by the race.

This set up hasn't let me down yet. I am from Canada, and I do a lot of early season, very cold water swims.
2016-05-16 9:57 AM

User image

Exton, PA

I am doing French Creek. I don't know for sure the water temps but I am guessing it will be 60ish. I am thinking I may not need the extra cap but unsure.

If you have the extra cap and want to wear it, you should have no negative effects. As in you don not need to worry about over heating this weekend. I have done events with water temps. in the 50's without a wetsuit and still been ok; but it effects different people different ways. With water that cold you tend to be dizzy coming out of the water, extra cap and ear plugs can help with that.

Have not looked at the coarse this year but, but if it's the same as before you have some good hills on the bike coarse.
2016-05-16 9:57 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

Malvern, PA
Originally posted by DeVinci13

Here is what I do for a cold water swim.

First I put in ear plugs. Then I put on my own swim cap. Then I put on my goggles. Then I put on the swim cap supplied by the race.

This set up hasn't let me down yet. I am from Canada, and I do a lot of early season, very cold water swims.

Sounds good. I have earplugs. The concern I have is that the swim caps I have at home are all latex. Any comments on whether I should buy a silicone one?

2016-05-16 9:58 AM
in reply to: mike761

Malvern, PA
Originally posted by mike761

If you have the extra cap and want to wear it, you should have no negative effects. As in you don not need to worry about over heating this weekend. I have done events with water temps. in the 50's without a wetsuit and still been ok; but it effects different people different ways. With water that cold you tend to be dizzy coming out of the water, extra cap and ear plugs can help with that.

Have not looked at the coarse this year but, but if it's the same as before you have some good hills on the bike coarse.

Yup I am a cyclist and I love LOVE Shed road, and on the olympic course I get to ride up it twice!! I suck at swimming but that's ok. Not looking to podium anyway.
2016-05-16 11:43 AM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
I'm not sure you would be able to tell the difference. Silicone will last longer and might be a bit thicker, but latex is what you have...so use it.
I have a neoprene hat that I use if the water is under 60°. I've found that my body can handle the cold pretty well but if my ears (inner ears) get cold, I get very dizzy and sick. This hat pulls down over my ears and loops under my chin so it does a good job of keeping the cold water out of my ears.
2016-05-16 6:39 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Second that. The real difference in warmth is between a neoprene (wetsuit material) cap and anything else. If you have time to get one, it really helps with comfort in cold water, especially if you are prone to vertigo when getting cold water in your ears. I wear mine down to about 66-68 degrees, mainly due to the vertigo issue. (Earplugs are also a good idea.) You wear the neoprene cap under the race cap. But ANY cap worn under the race cap will provide some degree of added warmth.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold OWS Question regarding Cap Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bizzare Claim regarding neoprene swim caps Pages: 1 2

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 5518 Posts: 30

2012-03-09 10:33 PM MUSKOKAFIVEOH

Cold Water Open water Swim Caps

Started by peggyswims
Views: 1290 Posts: 3

2012-01-08 10:17 PM smurfcore

Open water swimming (somewhat cold) - swim cap required?

Started by iOrlando
Views: 2316 Posts: 10

2011-05-25 8:30 AM Av8rTx

Cold water swim - insulated swim cap?

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 6231 Posts: 14

2009-06-03 7:58 PM Catwoman

Early Season Cold water OWS question

Started by bm1981
Views: 1256 Posts: 20

2009-03-04 11:56 AM jeffy_101
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!