General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Had to swim 2 extra laps ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-22 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Had to swim 2 extra laps ??
So I was doing my local sprint last weekend it was a 450 yard 9 lap swim. Basically you wait in line until a lab side opens up and they send you a cross the starting timing mat and you start your swim. So am told to start and hop in the water. As I do each lap I yell out my lap to the counter. One side note to this is the guy I was sharing a lane with was very slow I lapped him 3 times in 9 laps. I finish my 9th lap and hop out of the pool and the lane counter says get back in you've only done 7 laps. So not knowing what to do I hope back in the water and swim the extra 2 laps. All and all I have a ok race and pretty much forgot about it the rest of the day . When I look.at timing and scoring at the end my time for the swim and it comes 1:40 slower than I have ever swam this race. It all reality it did not matter to me as I was pretty much stuck in 3rd place for my age group but it made me think. What could I do different when I got out of the pool should I have ignored the lap counter?

2016-05-22 11:41 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Had to swim 2 extra laps ??
Well that is a somewhat difficult situation. But good on you for being a good sportsman and just getting back in the pool and rounding out a quick 2 extra laps. Its possible the lap counter official could have simply got confused and miscounted. Stuff like this happens and its better to simply play by the book and get it done.

If you had ignored the lap counter and simply moved on, you could very well have got disqualified and that would have been a whole lot worse. As it is, you still got 3 place and extra credit for 2 extra laps.

You did the right thing, just let it go or perhaps bring it up to a race/timing officiasl. In the end you had a good race and challenging something like that is most likely more hassle then its worth.

Congrats on a solid race and being a good sportsman.

2016-05-23 1:43 AM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

Did you have a Garmin running? I had a timing discrepancy in a race which got sorted out, but I was going to provide my Garmin data as evidence in case it didn't.
2016-05-23 7:02 AM
in reply to: #5183153

I would send an email to the organizer with an idea to make it easier for the counters next year. I would not worry about yesterday's results

My son participates in a pool biathlon every fall (scm). They circle swim with 4 per lane the counters have 8 color coded cups with pennies in them for each 50 the counter moves a penny from one cup to the 2nd one. Depending on the age it is 500, 1000 or 1500 so a little bit longer and more swimmers but it takes the remembering out of it
2016-05-23 8:25 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

, Vermont
I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago at my gym's indoor tri. I finished what I thought was my last length, stopped, looked at the counter and he said I still had one lap to go. I was a little puzzled, but I just swam it. I knew I wasn't out for any prizes, so I figured no big deal to do an extra 50, if that was in fact the case. Guess it happens frequently.
2016-05-23 1:51 PM
in reply to: ninagski

User image

Extreme Veteran
This race is just one of those races for me where weird stuff happens. a few years back my chip was switched with 50 year old woman. She was suprised when she got second overall woman. Again No Big thing but funny stuff sometimes happens

2016-05-24 12:36 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Lenexa, KS
Although I've not done an indoor tri, I've definitely been a part of plenty of indoor track events a few of which I've had lap counters miscount me on.

Similar kind of thinking though, if you have a way to prove you did the laps like a watch with a lap counter then ignore the official and be on your way. If you don't have any sort of proof other than your own counting then you did all you really could by hopping back in for the extra 2 laps.

As a disclaimer I'm not against being a bit contentious if an official got something wrong and I can back my story up - I guess I'm a little feisty about someone else adding time onto my race.
2016-05-24 4:14 PM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Extreme Veteran
I really like the format with the indoor swim because we can race when its still somewhat cold arround here. Race day temps this year was 39. other than some shrinkage it was all good
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Had to swim 2 extra laps ?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First tri in 2 weeks Having major problems with swim Pages: 1 2

Started by onevette80
Views: 2955 Posts: 33

2009-08-18 11:41 AM blackledge

lap by lap analysis...

Started by jford2309
Views: 1665 Posts: 13

2008-07-17 7:51 AM FutureIronGirl17

Having trouble counting laps in the pool?

Started by Rowdy
Views: 2008 Posts: 20

2006-10-25 1:35 PM timInVirginia

TI Swimming and whether to continue swimming laps...

Started by workoutbunny
Views: 1330 Posts: 16

2005-07-15 8:38 AM Gatsby

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1533 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 21, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
If you are a fitness exerciser, you are unlikely to need extra electrolytes to replace those lost in sweat. If you exercise hard for more than four hours in the heat, replacment may be needed.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?
date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 3
Provided one was proficient in setting up the different functions of the Lap Track, I think that a short-course triathlete would benefit most from this, since it only records splits up to 50 laps.

date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
comments : 1
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.
date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Have no endurance? Try this routine for your first few months.