General Discussion Triathlon Talk » can I go to the bathroom now? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-05 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: can I go to the bathroom now?

OK not really but in some ways it feels like a question with about the same degree of merit but I can't help myself so...

Starting about six weeks ago things started getting a bit crazy in my life.  I had a large degree of staff turnover at work and a number of family health issues pop up.  This has resulted in a drop in my overall training time.

Right now I am triaging this by cutting out quite a bit of bike time (my best sport) in favor of keeping/increasing run time (my worst sport) and trying to keep what I have as far as swim base goes (also doing more drills and less distance).

If a person has to cut time (There just aren't enough hours in the day and less then 6 hours of sleep feels counter-productive) is it best to sacrifice your best sport to work on your worst?

Keep in mind that my primary goal is still weight loss and base.  I have quite a bit of bike base from previous years (long before BT) but I know I am nowehere near where I was on the bike.  That said, I'm a middle of the pack biker while I am a back of the pack runner.

Since I expect my situation to stay the same for another month or two should I just focus my time on running since I only have so much time to give right now?  I won't be really "training" again until Feb as I ramp up for next season so this winter is all about getting some base.

Thoughts?

2006-09-05 1:07 PM
in reply to: #531187

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: can I go to the bathroom now?

When I have to cut something out (either by choice or laziness) it is usually the swim for me. I can train considerably less in the pool but maintain the same results. If I drop the bike or run then my times drop dramatically as well.

So, I would say to cut out what you're most comfortable cutting out, allowing your times in a race to suffer.

2006-09-05 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
If a primary goal is weight loss, running gets you the most bang for your buck - and yes - you may.... :-)
2006-09-05 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Going through some similar time challenges now also (just check my logs for the past couple of weeks).  I tend to slack off on swimming first because of the time commitment required to get to the pool and back.  Common sense tells me that I should be running more, but I still try to ride as much as I can because I enjoy it so much. 

I've been trying to force myself to start running in the morning again, but haven't been too successful so far.

Mark 

2006-09-05 4:11 PM

Veteran
chicago
I don't know about anybody else, but when I'm pressed for time I find running the easiest sport to do. You don't need to gather equipment, check your bike, get to the pool or anything. Just shoes and go. For me the choice has more to do with getting out the door and getting in a decent workout than which sport I need to work on.
But that's me...and I was a runner before I was a triathlete so it's easy for me to turn to running.
2006-09-05 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
I think that if you HAVE to give up something then it should probably be your best sport so that you can focus on the others. I also think that you should be able to get your biking back "up to speed" quicker than you would if you took a lot of time off from running.

Is it possible to make running your primary focus (3-4 runs per week) and alternate between biking and swimming on any of your other training days? This would give you variety and some much needed time off from running. Good luck!

2006-09-05 5:01 PM
in reply to: #531457

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

surfnturf - 2006-09-05 4:27 PM I think that if you HAVE to give up something then it should probably be your best sport so that you can focus on the others. I also think that you should be able to get your biking back "up to speed" quicker than you would if you took a lot of time off from running. Is it possible to make running your primary focus (3-4 runs per week) and alternate between biking and swimming on any of your other training days? This would give you variety and some much needed time off from running. Good luck!

This is primarily the strategy I was planning on.  I don't want to cut my run volume because I need that base more then I need work in any of the other sports.  In an ideal world I could spend about twice my current volume on training...but that ain't gonna happen till this spring.  So I'll do the best with what I have.

I was mainly wondering if other people do the same thing when they are time crunched, ie: drop/cut down volume on their best sport.  It seems that would be smarter then focusing even more on my best sport...even though that would be "easier".

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » can I go to the bathroom now? Rss Feed