General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Canada in 8 weeks, training WAY off Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-23 1:51 PM

User image

Subject: IM Canada in 8 weeks, training WAY off
I'm racing IM Canada in 8 weeks- this training cycle has been plagued with obstacles (bar exam, move, new job, cross country move etc.) So, training has been inconsistent. Some weeks I hit all my workouts others it's been less then 25%. Ive had a couple long bikes (longest 65 miles), couple long runs (longest 15) and I don't even want to talk about my swim. Things seems to have settled down but I'm terrified that 8 weeks of 100% effort won't adequately prep me. This is my third IM and I raced a 70.3 I. October and a marathon in Nov. I have a solid base and really never take time totally off from training.

Any thoughts? Words of encouragement? I had to get the doubt out of my head and onto the page! Thanks all.

2016-05-23 2:51 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: IM Canada in 8 weeks, training WAY off
I think you have some decent development time left. If you consider a 1 week taper, you've got almost 8 weeks of training.

Obviously you don't want to break yourself by ramping volume up too much, but you should be able to still get to a point of doing a few 100 milers on the bike, and at least a 20miler ( or 2) on the run, in this time frame. Perhaps getting in long rides with some good sized hill climbs will be the most beneficial.

I did the race last year, and thought the bike was the main killer. The run wasn't that bad it terms of the hills, but my legs were spent from the bike.
So if I had to do it again, I would work more on the bike (esp. the hills).

As for the swim, it's reasonable in terms of IM courses. Although it was a bit choppy in spots, it was a good course once the congestion pans out on the first loop. I think if you get in the pool and do some decent work until the race, no problem.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Canada in 8 weeks, training WAY off Rss Feed