Ultramax
75?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 20m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 16/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30, had an english muffin with peanut butter. Packed my last minute things, grabbed coffee and I was ready to go. Getsome picked me up a little after 4:00 am and we were off to the race site! My hubby picked up Mrs. Getsome later in the morning so they could sleep in a little more.
Event warmup:

Pacing back and forth and telling some chick to get her bike off my crap. No really... Were were racked by swim cap color and we were told 6 bikes to a rack. Well, I got my ass their really early, and got my spot. 15 minutes before transition closes, I come back to my stuff to see a chick with her bike ON TOP of my towel, shoes and bag and she is starting to unpack her bag. I look around..7 bikes. I look further down... 4 bikes. I then tell chicky that she can't rack her bike on my stuff, but she can go down to that rack with only 4 bikes. After a big huff, she moved...of course after dragging her wheel all over my stuff. Fellow rackmate told me that was a very very good call. There was no way I could get to my stuff!
Swim
  • 31m 20s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was awesome. For as nervous as I was about an open water race, this was great. I didn't really experience lots of hitting and kicking. I got stuck behind 3 people doing the exact same pace, but eventually squeezed through when one got off course. I was really really happy with my sighting, but I had trouble on the side where we were going into the sun. I really tried to keep breathing in control, which I did most of the time, but I had some points where I was breathing every breath. I also passed people in the wave before me, and that made me feel good. It was all downhill from here tho.
What would you do differently?:

Nada.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

LOOOOOOOONG run to T1. Didn't get enough powder into my socks so I had a bit of trouble but not much. Ate 3 clif bloks.

Buy new stuff (shoes, no socks, etc) that would make me faster.
Bike
  • 1h 40m 39s
  • 26.7 miles
  • 15.92 mile/hr
Comments:

SUCKY. I immediately washed my clif bloks down with water, then was going to switch to gatorade. Lesson learned here was gatorade and clif bloks make me want to puke. So, back to water I go. My legs wouldn't turn over, I was getting passed left and right. The only people I passed were those on hybrids or mountain bikes and even one of those passed me. I heard a shout out from Soozy at the turn around, which helped boost me a bit...only cuz I knew I was close to half way! I had a very horrible mental roller coaster through this course. Since no matter what I was having trouble getting up hills, I POUNDED out the flats... 20+mph there. I hated my bike after this ride. Hubby got a great pic that says "get me the f*&k away from my bike" coming into T2. Still this sucked and I'm really disappointed in how I felt. Speed was OK, within my goal, but I FELT horrible.

Ride more in training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Took this slow. I needed a minute. My head was in the WRONG place. I headed out of T2, saw hubby and said "I am totally done with this BS." Poor guy, he was just trying to cheer me on!

Not have a shitty bike leg.
Run
  • 1h 03m 28s
  • 5.8 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile, my head was in the wrong place. Like DNF wrong. I kept running, but kept asking myself WHY I was running? I didn't want to be there, didn't want to finish. Then I hit the 1.25 mile mark, and the turn around for short course. I thought "Sarah, you best readjust this attitude if you are going to get thru this. You aren't letting anyone down but yourself." So, there you go, I readjusted and ran everything but the water stops. Now, had this actually been 6.2 miles, I would've done OK, but mapmyrun says its' only 5.8, so I was pokey. But I felt good coming in...no urge to puke and no major pains and that is always a positive.

Not have a crappy bike. I'm very glad I could readjust my brain.
Post race
Warm down:

I was slow enough that the massage people had already packed up and left. Which is crappy in my opinion. A stretch station was still going, so I got a good stretch. Within 5 minutes, they started awards. There were still several on the course, and I also think this was crappy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, pure and simple. Registering in Feb for this race gives you all kinds of motivation. However, life tossed me a few obstacles between then and now, and I did the best I could.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:20 | 1500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:40:39 | 26.7 miles | 15.92 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Rollers with a few longer climbs...two loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:03:28 | 05.8 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-05 1:11 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: Lake St. Louis Triathlon

2006-09-05 1:28 PM
in reply to: #531205

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Lake St. Louis Triathlon

Sarah,

I know that your times were not what you had anticipated back in February, but you need to keep everything in perspective.  Those times are fantastic!  Look at how far your training has brought your abilities.  This was the longest triathlon you have done.  Typical race goals for a new distance is "Finish."  You not only finished (although, I know it went though your mind to DNF the first mile of your run...also very normal) but your times were great.  

You sustained a great bike pace on the entire course, not to mention your kick pace on the flats.  All of this after your first OWS in competition!  That's awesome!!!  Also worth complimenting is your ability to redirect your negativety during the first portion of the run.  You stepped it up and ran the entire course!  Again...awesome! 

Reading your report makes me wish more than anything that I could've raced this one with you.  Oh well, there's always 2007!

2006-09-05 5:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
I second everything katieyows said!

seriously - you did awesome. you finished and in a very VERY respectable amount of time. Your T1 and T2 times are great. so what if the hills were a little troublesome for you? your overall avg pace was terrific!! and seriously, redirecting the negative voices in your head is amazing. my first race, during the swim (a .5 mile no less) i was asking myself what i was doing there and how could i go through with it...then i thought of seeing hubby's face as i got out of the water and what he would say if i threw in the towel. that was enough motivation. believe me, negative thoughts on the race course are not uncommon. i had that last year during both of my races. fun.

anyway, this isn't about me. YOU DID GREAT AND CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!

as you said, you signed up in feb and life tossed you a few obstacles along the way - we've all been there and will be there at some point. your times are really great - seriously, i am not just saying that. you did really really well - be proud of that.

good for you for telling stupid girl to go rack her bike somewhere else - that's annoying. i'm sure you had a better race than she did.

-sharon
2006-09-06 8:09 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Good stuff out there and congrats on the new distance!  First time doing a distance I think there is much to be learned.  I am hoping not to learn too much on my race this weekend but, I will be using your experience and mental toughness to keep me together if the wheels start to fall off (as they did in my practice ride of the course and sprint up the mongo run hill).  You know hills are a limiter for you, so seek them out from now on and you will no longer fear them (crap those hills!   )  We do these races to learn a little more about our selves and I think you proved you are one tough chica!  On the Gatorade thing, a recommendation to check out Perpetuem by Heed.  It tastes blah but doesnt give me the same GI issues Gatorade does.  Stay away from fuels high in sugar.  Nice job!
2006-09-06 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Great report!! Great race!

You accomplished so much out there, and it should be even sweeter for you since it was so mentally and physically demanding.  Congrats on making that Oly Distance Tri your beeyotch.

See ya,

~B

2006-09-06 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Awesome job! I think you had a great race. Your FIRST int. distance-Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great? 20+ on the flats is awesome! I think that made up for the yucky hills. Hills suck-well, unless you're jszat

Do you like cliff blocks better than the gels? I hate cliff blocks-I like the taste, but that's about it. They get all stuck in my throat. And I feel like I can't breathe when I'm eating them. I know everyone is different, but I seem to do okay with gatorade, then a bit of water, then a gel, then a little more water, then back to gatorade. Oiopolli mentioned that he takes small bites of his gel interspersed with water over time, so it's easier on his stomach. Mabye that would work (next season )

Great run, by the way. I think they must measure the course out with a GPS unit, so I bet it's more accurate than mapmyrun.com-I bet it was 6.2. You had a great run, and a great race!!!!! Congratulations!

Edited by Sassafras 2006-09-06 1:37 PM

2006-09-09 3:48 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
So-it's been a week. How do you feel? Personally, I'm glad it's done, and that means I don't have to do that again. I really like sprint distances. The mental part of running--just not there for me. You had a fantastic race, and I want to thank you for inspiring me all summer to train and do an Olympic distance triathlon.

Wear that dri-release t-shirt WITH PRIDE! We are so AWESOME!!

p.s. I finally put my report up and put pix of us in my album. Check it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake St. Louis Triathlon Rss Feed