United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 41s
Overall Rank = 12/950
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast - Cereal, Orange Juice, Fruit. Avoid Caffeine(until end of race) and protein prior to racing. Get to race early and get things set up,switch wheels, etc., so that I'm not rushed.
Event warmup:

Approximately 20-25 minute bike, then a 5-10 minute run all nice and easy just to get loose and heart rate up a little. 20 minutes prior to race eat my box of raisons, eat a GU, and at least 12oz of water. Head down to water and about 500m warmup in. Stay loose in water until my wave goes off as I am in the first wave.
Swim
  • 19m 10s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

I find it hard to believe that the water was '77.9' degrees but thats a different story.......Took first 200 out at about 75% to see if anyone would keep up. At first marker, there was one person I tucked in behind him. Followed right on his feet around the first turn. Started to figure out my game plan on when to go around him. I felt like we were going to slow as it was tkaing no effort to keep up on his feet so i went around him. He immediatle sped up and swam next to me for another 200M. Not to smart to swim side by side so I dropped back behind him. At the second turn he took a slightly wrong line and I sped up. He corrected his line and jumped in right behind me. I wasn't going to let him stay there or pass me so I sped up and ended up out of the water about 10 seconds ahead of him.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Decent time with not a lot of effort.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Long run from lake exit to Transition including a nice 25 meter section of Johnny on the spots that were fun to run by after being used all morning..............

Not much. 1:40 was the pretty much the same as all the others in the first wave.
Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 26.76 miles
  • 20.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was 2 miles long. Though it was a USAT santioned event and ultramax was running it, they still didn't correct it. Went out with a huge lead and wanted to hold it until the 180 degree turn around on the little out and back jaunt. Got caught right before that by three riders who were not really following drafting rules. Like always my legs didn't get going until about 30 mins into the ride. After that it was much better. Only been training for a month so overall and hate hills, so though compared to others around me it looked bad, it wasn't too bad. Didn't eat the GU I had with me. Thought I would be ok without it and didn't want to upset my stomach.

Push a little harder. Maybe I went a bit too easy, but when your doing it you never know.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Decided to put socks on since I had 6 miles to run and I really ripped my feet up without socks on my first Olympic distance race.
Run
  • 38m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. Felt good from the start. Caught some guy that was like 30 seconds ahead of me. Started to cramp a little around mile two and started to doubt that I could hold my current pace. After i had passed up the first 2 water stations, grabbed some water and splashed the rest on me. Slowed down a bit. The guy that I had passed, passed me by. I started to feel better so I started winding in the guy I was playing cat and mouse with and hung about 15 yards behind him. We were catching another runner about 100yds ahead of us. I thought to myself there are two more places and I sped up passing both by with about 1/2 mile left with no reaction from either. Finished strong.

Pushed a bit more. Though the climbs at the end hurt I was moving faster then the people around me and finished strong. Looking back I probably had a bit more to give throughout the race, but hindsight is always 20/20.
Post race
Warm down:

Wal around. Talk to all the racers I knew.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weak Bike. Just 5 mins off my bike time alone, would have put me in 3rd overall. Next year.........

Event comments:

Good water stations on run. Lots of people drafting on the bike. Kind of unaviodable for the majority on the course, but the more experienced riders should know better. Some issues with the overall running of the event that were echoed by the Lake Saint Louis staff....and it took 2 hours to give out awards.

Last updated: 2006-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:10 | 1500 meters | 01m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 1/950
Performance: Good
Low HR and moderate effort 1st 1/2. Bit more effort 2nd 1/2.
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Almost a triangle. About 300M out, 800M accross, 400M back in with an extra 30degree turn into the finish. I find it hard to believe that the water was '77.9' degrees but thats a different story.......
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:00 | 26.76 miles | 20.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/950
Performance: Average
I knew my bike was going to be weak so I planned on just spinning up the hills and not killing myself for the run.
Wind: Little
Course: mostly hills, with a few decent climbs. But nothing major. I think that the short course missed a lot of the hills that were included in olympic distance race.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:00 | 06.2 miles | 06m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/950
Course: Hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-05 2:15 PM

New user

Subject: Lake Saint Louis Triathlon

2006-09-09 3:53 PM
in reply to: #531291

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Lake Saint Louis Triathlon
Great race, obviously, Mr. Speedy! Did you find that the run was short? A friend and I suspected as much. Maybe to make up for the 2 mile-too-long bike?! Kind of suprised at that too. Hope you are having a good post-race week.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Saint Louis Triathlon Rss Feed