General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleeved vs Sleeveless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-27 9:59 AM

User image

Subject: Sleeved vs Sleeveless
I met someone at my race last weekend who was wearing a Sleeved Tri Suit. After speaking with him he did a pretty good job at convincing me that you barely notice the sleeves and they make a huge difference on hot/shade less courses where getting sunburn is a high probability. Anyone here wear a suit with sleeves or have an opinion either way? I'm about 10 races in and I own 1 pair of tri shorts and 1 sleeveless tri shirt which I've work at every race. My race pictures all look eerily similar!

2016-05-27 11:48 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Sleeved vs Sleeveless
I have a two piece (Desoto) sleeved Riviera suit and a Champion Systems one piece sleeved suit.

I've run three tris this year in the sleeved one piece (and one 1.2 mi. OWS with it on, under my wetsuit). Nothing but good things to say about mine. I would imagine someone's like or dislike of them will be fit-dependent and quality-dependent. Mine feels like a second skin.

Good luck.
2016-05-27 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
There is another thread up on this, but I will repeat, the reason for sleeved suits is they if they are tight fitting they tend to test as faster (more aerodynamic) than their sleeveless counterparts. You have to have tight fitting sleeved suits. If they are not tight enough they may be slower than a comparable sleeveless.

I have been to the wind tunnel and tested these suits. I have also worn them up for the swim with the zipper down, the zipper up. Although I am obligated to wear my ChampSys Apex suit, I personally like the Louis Garneau M:2. It was designed with aerodynamics in mind, but also with mobility, so even though it is tight you don't feel restricted. It has ColdBlack which helps you feel cool and is readily available too. It also seem to holds it shape better than other suits which tend to balloon out after use.

This is the LG M:2 I am talking about: http://amzn.to/22reJ6a
2016-05-27 12:32 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I love my Pearl Izumi Octane. It has gotten me through three IMs and probably 4 HIMs. I have only worn it in wetsuit legal races and I have always put it fully on before the swim and have not noticed any arm restriction with swimming. I don't have access to a wind tunnel so I can't confirm that it is faster than my old sleeveless suits but I sure don't think it is slower. I have a new Coure sleeved suit on order for this year and hope that it is at least as nice as the PI.

I bought it to try to maximize aerodynamics but keeping the sun off of my shoulders and upper arms has been an unexpected and very welcome benefit.
2016-05-27 12:47 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Thanks everyone. Jason, did you buy your new suit without trying it on? I've seen a few that look good and are priced right on Sierra Trading Post but I'd hate to buy one and have it be too tight or loose. Good to know about the aero benefits as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleeved vs Sleeveless Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

to go sleeveless or wear a sleeved wetsuit?

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1023 Posts: 5

2012-08-24 11:05 PM bananatoes

Sleeveless or sleeved wetsuit?

Started by JoseyWales
Views: 1143 Posts: 9

2011-02-28 4:35 PM zed707

sleeveless vs. sleeved wetsuit Pages: 1 2

Started by menglo
Views: 4709 Posts: 29

2011-01-11 1:26 PM KSH

Sleeveless or sleeved wetsuit???

Started by justin.egan
Views: 3316 Posts: 20

2010-05-02 4:19 PM PennState

Bibjohn's vs Sleeveless vs. Full Wetsuits

Started by klowman
Views: 1402 Posts: 16

2009-03-31 10:34 AM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2012
author : davesheanin
comments : 3
Iron distance, overheating and cramping in a fullsuit. Will a sleeveless or shorty wetsuit alleviate my cramping for this distance?

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.