General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1 Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-03 10:24 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: T1 Question
So I'm running my second ever triathlon next weekend. My first one was at the beach and involved a 200 yard run from the beach up to the transition area for T1. Thankfully, I brought a small bucket of water and a towel to wash nearly all the sand off of my feet before starting the bike.

This triathlon next week will be a lake swim, followed by a run on grass up to T1 which is in a parking lot. Do you think I'll need water or should I just have a towel in my transition area? Any of you just keep going with dirty feet?

I guess I could have the bucket ready and just skip it if I feel clean enough. Thoughts?

2016-06-03 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: RE: T1 Question
And while we're at it, for those of you who use a heart rate monitor that isn't waterproof, do you have your strap on during the swim and just snap your HRM on in T1 or put the whole thing on in T1? (I won't be wearing a wetsuit. Just tri shorts and a tri jersey.)

I have the Garmin HRM-RUN strap and monitor.

Edited by marti038 2016-06-03 10:33 AM
2016-06-03 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I usually keep a bike water bottle in transition so I can take swigs off of it while going through T1/2.  If really needed you can always give your feet a squirt, but I'd think that you'll be fine with just the towel. for a quick wipe before... I assume... putting socks on.  

For me, I will normally cycle w/o socks (IM being the exception) since its so tough to don socks with wet feet.  Usually after the bike feet are nice and dry and socks go on much easier.  Although even at that I will typically run without socks in sprints and olys... HIM and up I will typically put on socks for the run.

ETA:  good luck, by the way!

Edited by Sous 2016-06-03 10:39 AM
2016-06-03 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marti038 So I'm running my second ever triathlon next weekend. My first one was at the beach and involved a 200 yard run from the beach up to the transition area for T1. Thankfully, I brought a small bucket of water and a towel to wash nearly all the sand off of my feet before starting the bike. This triathlon next week will be a lake swim, followed by a run on grass up to T1 which is in a parking lot. Do you think I'll need water or should I just have a towel in my transition area? Any of you just keep going with dirty feet? I guess I could have the bucket ready and just skip it if I feel clean enough. Thoughts?

do those around you a favor and leave the bucket at home.  i've seen buckets get kicked over and water all over the transition getting on other people's stuff.  just use a towel.  your feet will be fine.

Edited by GAUG3 2016-06-03 10:56 AM
2016-06-03 1:18 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

The majority of the races I do are beach swims.  If I really feel the need to clean my feet I just rub them on the back of opposite leg.  I keep my shoes clipped in and by the time I get to the mount line most of the sand is gone.

I wouldn't bring the water for your feet unless it's just a water bottle.  I try to keep it as simple as possible.  Drop cap and goggles - helmet and sunglasses on - grab bike and go.

2016-06-03 1:25 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

Originally posted by GAUG3

Originally posted by marti038 So I'm running my second ever triathlon next weekend. My first one was at the beach and involved a 200 yard run from the beach up to the transition area for T1. Thankfully, I brought a small bucket of water and a towel to wash nearly all the sand off of my feet before starting the bike. This triathlon next week will be a lake swim, followed by a run on grass up to T1 which is in a parking lot. Do you think I'll need water or should I just have a towel in my transition area? Any of you just keep going with dirty feet? I guess I could have the bucket ready and just skip it if I feel clean enough. Thoughts?

do those around you a favor and leave the bucket at home.  i've seen buckets get kicked over and water all over the transition getting on other people's stuff.  just use a towel.  your feet will be fine.

yeah. I've never had issues with sand causing problems with my feet. maybe I'm lucky but I just give them a quick wipe with a towel. the entire bucket in transition thing had to come from somebody who only does small races where there is tons of room in transition.

2016-06-03 2:33 PM

User image

Elite

Ditto to the suggestion of leaving the bucket home, a quick towel wipe is sufficient.  I strap my whole monitor on during T1, adds a few seconds, but whatev! Good luck!

2016-06-03 5:59 PM

Dont even bother with towel. If no wetsuit T 1 should be
1) put on helmet (or glasses and helmet if helmet doesn't have sheild)
2) grab bike and run to mount line
3) put shoes on on the fly

Tri kits dry realllllly quick on the bike
2016-06-03 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
I'm on board with the no bucket team. A bike bottle works well for a quick squirt or you can take a small towel, put some baby powder on it and fold it in half (to cover the powder during the swim). When you reach the bike unfold towel, step in the powder to simultaneously get the sand off and dry your feet.
2016-06-03 7:30 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by Sous

I usually keep a bike water bottle in transition so I can take swigs off of it while going through T1/2.  If really needed you can always give your feet a squirt, but I'd think that you'll be fine with just the towel. for a quick wipe before... I assume... putting socks on.  

For me, I will normally cycle w/o socks (IM being the exception) since its so tough to don socks with wet feet.  Usually after the bike feet are nice and dry and socks go on much easier.  Although even at that I will typically run without socks in sprints and olys... HIM and up I will typically put on socks for the run.

ETA:  good luck, by the way!

If you don't already, make sure you roll your socks up beforehand.  They unroll onto wet feet much faster than you can pull them on.

2016-06-04 10:12 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by marti038

So I'm running my second ever triathlon next weekend. My first one was at the beach and involved a 200 yard run from the beach up to the transition area for T1. Thankfully, I brought a small bucket of water and a towel to wash nearly all the sand off of my feet before starting the bike.

This triathlon next week will be a lake swim, followed by a run on grass up to T1 which is in a parking lot. Do you think I'll need water or should I just have a towel in my transition area? Any of you just keep going with dirty feet?

I guess I could have the bucket ready and just skip it if I feel clean enough. Thoughts?

I've been racing for 7 years now, never once washed my feet off or even used a towel in T1 and I bike/run without socks. Wasted time in T1 in my opinion. Not in regards to sand/debris, but do body glide up the heels of your bike shoes and any hot spots in your running shoes to prevent chafing if your shoes aren't designed for barefoot use (most aren't).

The grass will get the majority of the sand off your feet as you head up to T1. Maybe you'll pick up something microscopic in the parking lot on the way to your rack and running out to the mount line, but I would be really really surprised if you didn't worry about it (what we focus on we notice) then had an issue because of sand/gravel/etc.

2016-06-06 3:01 PM

Originally posted by marti038

Not only am I just a completer, but I'm a "comfort" guy
I wear socks on the bike and the run. Even if it takes me a minute to put on socks, the worst that'd happen is I'd go from 20th out of 40 in my AG to 21st out of 40.

That being said, I've come out of lake through sand, pebbles, etc....into transitions on asphalt, concrete, and grass. Never really an issue. Pool to pavement transition (or grass)....or through sand...it always seems the same. A light dusting of sand/pebble/grass. Nothing that running your hand (or back of the leg as someone said) over your foot (.5 seconds?) or a quick towel off (3-5 seconds?) won't cure.
2016-06-06 3:43 PM

I didn't see a reply to this, but hte HRM-Run is waterproof, I just wore it in a 70.3 yesterday including the swim.
2016-06-06 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
not a problem !
I've done all kinds of tri's and don't bother worrying about getting the feet clean.

Usually the run into T1 is sufficient to get off any particles that would cause an issue.

Sometimes races have showers going or a small kiddie pool to dunk your feet, but not really necessary.
2016-06-06 4:19 PM
in reply to: mclousing

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by mclousing

I didn't see a reply to this, but hte HRM-Run is waterproof, I just wore it in a 70.3 yesterday including the swim.

Wait, what? Do you mean just the strap or the actual HRM?
2016-06-06 4:23 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by mclousing

I couldn't wait for an answer so I looked it up on Garmin's website...

"The device withstands pressure equivalent to a depth of 30 m."

I had no idea. Thanks for pointing this out as I thought swimming in the unit would ruin it.

2016-06-06 4:26 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
And from DC Rainmaker...

"Is the HRM-RUN waterproof?

Yes, despite not transmitting through water – it’s totally waterproof. In fact most triathletes will wear it under their wet-suit during the swim portion, where it’ll reconnect automatically to their watch/device afterwards upon exiting the water. This is true of all HR straps made by Garmin, Suunto, and Polar (and pretty much every other HR strap made today by every company I’m aware of). All are fully waterproof."
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1 Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

T1 questions

Started by jart0806
Views: 879 Posts: 5

2007-09-13 6:51 PM tcovert

Timing Chip/T1 Questions

Started by TriLI
Views: 875 Posts: 5

2007-07-12 12:47 PM Timo

Swimming, T1 questions

Started by ragingferret
Views: 865 Posts: 2

2007-02-16 8:58 PM vortmax

T1 Question (for guys)

Started by Z-dog
Views: 1189 Posts: 22

2006-08-09 12:59 PM dibujob

T1 Question

Started by coffee-sipper
Views: 749 Posts: 6

2005-06-14 1:37 PM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
For us beginners, a brick is usually a bike/run combo. This simulates the bike to run transition - many think is the toughest part of the race.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.