Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 55m 50s
Overall Rank = 991/2806
Age Group = 40-44 M
Age Group Rank = 243/585
Pre-race routine:

QUICK NOTE: The rankings are based on timed (chip) runners only. Total runners for this race exceeded 11,000.

Cliff bar and water for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Stretching and running in place. Cliff shot block about 20min before start.
Run
  • 55m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first time at the US 10k Classic. Actually my first "running only" race since college. But from the 2 tri's I have completed this year, I expected a timing mat at the start since they offered a "chip" option. When I didn't see one, I managed to get close to the front of this mass start race.

My first mile I thought I was at a good pace, never exceeded zone 3. However, I was shocked when they called out 7:29 at the first mile and knew I had to slow down a little. I felt the hill to mile 2 and really felt the hill from mile 4 to 5. I was disappointed at the split and picked up the pace. I was planning on sprinting to the finish but the last 1/10th seemed like another small hill.

Overall this was a good race for me. This was a PB since college but just short of my goal (a seeding time for PTRR).
What would you do differently?:

I should have driven the course beforehand. Do some more hill training. I missed qualifying for a seeded position at Peachtree Road Race by 51 seconds. Now, I've GOT to do the Buckhead Sizzler 10k (haha) which is also a qualifier for the Peachtree. Good thing it's a flat course, or so I've heard. Just hope I'm recovered from the Disney Oly.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched. Talked to other runners.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training.

Event comments:

This was a well organized race with a lot of great sponsors. It started with cycling (men's and women's), inline skate, wheelchair, then runners. I liked the family festival on Saturday and wish I had planned more time to check things out other than just pick up my packet.

The men's bike was delayed a few minutes due to traffic on the course. They were able to get the other races started on time.

The only thing that didn't happen was a seeding order at the beginning of the race. I expected this because they requested an official results sheet if you wanted to be seeded. Seeded bib numbers were green, timed runners orange, and non-timed runners were white. I was surrounded by all bib colors.

Several musical groups playing at about every 1.5miles. Water and gatorade stations just past each mile marker. It looked like there were some "ad hoc" water stations by some of the local businesses too. Volunteers were great!

The post-race festival was also good. Publix had a very nice spread of muffins, bagels, sandwiches (love these), bananas, pears, plums, yogurt and other food. Plenty of Gatorade too, seeing as they were a co-sponsor.

CCT was also well organized with transportation back to the start. Even though the line for buses was long, it was always moving.

Overall, a very good race and not bad since I only started running again in late March. This will definitely be on my calendar next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-09-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:50 | 06.21 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/585
Overall: 0/2806
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 7:29 Mile 2: 8:53 Mile 3: 8:51 Mile 4: 9:06 Mile 5: 10:15 Last 1.2miles: 11:34
Course: Lots of hills. Looking at course topography in the program after the race, I saw that from mile 3 to mile 5 was one long hill that got steeper as you progrees to mile 5. The course had more incline than decline so I didn't get much downhill help.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-05 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: U.S. 10K Classic

2006-09-06 1:39 PM
in reply to: #531627

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: U.S. 10K Classic

I'm sorry you didn't hit you Peachtree qualifying time. You had a good run for the course tho. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

FYI, there are some great early spring 10ks that will also get you Peachtree qualified if the Buckhead race doesn't work out. In fact you may want to think about waiting till spring to qualify so you don't worry about the affect on Disney. There is a fast race (the Chattahoochee Road Runners 10k) in the spring (usually in March) that has the last mile all downhill and I know several that have gotten their qualifier there. I have done a few other local 10ks in Feb and March that have decent courses too. 

2006-09-07 12:08 PM
in reply to: #531627

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: U.S. 10K Classic
Good job on this race. You did a really good job for your first run only race in a while.

I too was suprised there was no timing mat at the start line. The free for all start kinda threw me off a bit. And every time I saw a hill I was a little freaked out, they always seemed so steep and long as I ran towards them.

Good luck on the Disney Oly in a few weeks, I am going to be there too. This will be my first Tri. Have you done this one in the past?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » U.S. 10K Classic Rss Feed