United States
Rev3
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 20m 29s
Overall Rank = 601/872
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 78/119
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15 on not much sleep. The host hotel also had a party that night with a loud DJ until 11:00. Ate a bagel with peanut butter and honey, ate a banana and drank a UCan pre race drink. Packed up and headed to the race.
Event warmup:

Just stretched and got myself loose.
Swim
  • 45m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good most of the swim. A little pushing and shoving at times. Took a while to find some clear space. According to garmin, I swam 1.3 miles. This is because I found myself to the outside a lot and had some navigation issues. I felt like the buoys were moving around.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. I was in a groove swimming, but should have broken stride to pay better attention to where I was. I don't know if I'd be better off swimming extra meters and clearly vs fighting through crowds.

At the end of the day, I'll take it.
Transition 1
  • 05m 23s
Comments:

I'd rather have a smooth transition than a fast one. Got my wetsuit off and socks/shoes on pretty swiftly. The mount location was crowded so I had to wait my turn.

Would have gone a little faster if I didn't have to dig my gear out of plastic bags. It was pouring rain, I needed it.
Bike
  • 3h 50m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.57 mile/hr
Comments:

They call this course the beast of the northeast for a reason. It's hard. Real hard. Throw in a downpour with some wind and it made for a nerve wracking ride. It's a beautiful ride but you have to be careful... You start picking up speed quick. With this weather, I was riding my brakes to stay in better control. Not a day for speed. Safety first. I was definitely hoping to be done in about 30-40 minutes less than what i did, but this race is a reality check. With about 4,000 ft of climbs, that's hefty. At times the rain combined the downhill speed, the rain felt like pins and needles... It hurt.

Was also tough to stay over to the right because that's where there were some real bad spots. People passing me weren't happy and let me know it. But they can wait, I'm not riding through potholes to give hem more space.

Do a rain dance, or say "rain rain, go away, come again another day!" Is was a ride to survive in my eyes. I also need to get more comfortable riding in aero. The crowned roads make it tough at times.
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Had to switch socks. Wanted to get something dry if only for 10 minutes. Plus, I peed a few times on the bike and it went down to my socks and shoes. Kinda gross, but that's what we do.

Fumbled my race belt a few times because the drinks fell off. Also had to dig my stuff out of bags due to the weather.

Not much I could do. Fumbling with stuff that were stashed to keep dry was the price to pay for some dry feet.
Run
  • 2h 34m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were pretty stiff after the bike. Had to walk more than I wanted to. Tear the first 2 miles or so I had more of a steady effort. The rain got bad, and got worse. Reminded me of that scene in caddy shack when Bill Murray said "I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for a while. I found out later that they started pulling people from the bike course at this point.

Run faster. But in these conditions, I did what I could. I probably could have pushed harder and Run through a few walk breaks, but that would only save a few minutes. I also didn't want to hurt myself in advance of the drive home.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, got some food, texted my wife, got my gear and got out of there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather sucked.

Event comments:

Too hard but knew that. This is what I used for a tune up for Ironman Mont Tremblant this year. I know I have work to do but my training is working. Rev3 and the volunteers were great. The volunteers and police were cheering us on too. Often police just sit back and bask in the overtime, but these men and women were enjoying themselves. The volunteers couldn't have been better. It's a great race. A true test of your mental battle level. I would absolutely do this race again. I owe it a do over. But as hard as this course is, it gave me the ass kicking I need to get to the next level.

I just wish Connecticut would do a better job with the roads. Maybe use some of the revenue in permit fees from Rev3 to address it closer to race day. I live in the state and our roads aren't good.

Thanks Rev3, race was great, it's humbling but I feel pretty strong considering what we went through. I feel like the weather impacted me enough where I lost at least 20 minutes and considering that, I'm quite happy.

Last updated: 2016-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:45 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 69/119
Overall: 563/872
Performance: Average
Suit: Synergy Hybrid
Course: Triangle, clockwise
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:50:35 | 56 miles | 14.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 78/119
Overall: 565/872
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly. You'd think that Connecticut is a mountainous state given the hills we had. Felt like it was a roller coaster, up some long and slow climbs then down a screaming and twisting away. The roads had a lot of cracks and potholes. A bunch of wipeouts and flats due to that
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 67
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:34:53 | 13.1 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 77/119
Overall: 629/872
Course: More hills. Some dirt roads and lots of big puddles due to the potholes
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-06-06 1:04 PM

Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Half Course

2016-06-07 12:26 PM
in reply to: #5185549

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Course
Nasty day on an ugly course! Way to stick it though!

after this, IMMT seems, well, not EASY but....you know....not as bad.
2016-06-07 1:07 PM
in reply to: #5185549

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Great job getting it done on a rough weather day!
2016-08-08 12:41 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

just saw this! quassy was tough, but now i'm getting real nervous... even if prepared, for tremblant. that long swim, those nasty climbs... how does it all compare to quassy? i almost feel like the marathon will just be a matter of willing myself forward.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Half Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Course

Started by littycm
Views: 738 Posts: 1

2016-06-06 8:52 AM littycm

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by DEFYINGRAVITY
Views: 1604 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 10:09 AM DEFYINGRAVITY

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1649 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 9:33 AM rafikichapman

Rev3 Quassy Half

Started by acumenjay
Views: 2333 Posts: 8

2011-06-11 10:06 AM yeats

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by dkazup
Views: 2020 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 5:19 AM dkazup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.