Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: RE: 5 Bicyclists killed

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Having been to a couple thousand accidents including many fatal......judging from the pictures that was a tremendous impact.  It knocked that truck backwards like a head on collision between cars.  That's crazy and I've never seen anything like it in a vehicle vs. bicycle.

Amazing. Not in a good way. One of the photos shows what appears to be a fire hydrant that has been moved a good foot or so through dirt (at least looks like) so some of that damage may have come from that, but not the hood/windshield or all of the front. Dude never put his foot on the brakes before plowing those poor souls down

The craziest thing is that he hit them from behind, I would think.  Just looking at the damage you wouldn't come to that conclusion.  I wonder what speeds were involved.

I don't ride on roads much anymore.......but my kids ride to work, working out, to swim practice, etc.  Most of the roads are crowded to very crowded.  I hate it. I should of raised soccer players.

I didn't see the pictures of the truck.  But from other views I wonder if he hit the rocks that were on the lawn?  I'm just going by the news video but it looked like the front yard might have been lined with large rocks.

Also disturbing was the picture of the one bike on the ground that had a blinker on the rear which was still flashing. 

Go find the truck pictures, the damage goes all the way to the roof. That was no rock. There was also a pic of a broken mirror. I doubt there is anything these people could have done even if they'd known it was coming

I agree there appears to be nothing they could have done from an evasive maneuver perspective.  I'm told this stretch of road is known by the locals as a dicey place to ride due to the amount of car traffic and their speeds.  Please don't misinterpret that to mean I'm blaming the victims with that comment, I'm pointing out how their ability to react was likely nil...

2016-06-09 3:17 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

And now 5 counts of second degree murder under MI law.   This is good news.

2016-06-10 7:02 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Is there a news report on that. I was looking for some followup to the initial reporting that says if he has actually been charged.
2016-06-10 8:16 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama

So was this guy impaired in any way or just mad at the world?

I don't guess it matters a lot, but I was sort of hoping he was suffering from some sort of medical issue.
2016-06-10 10:37 AM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marti038

So was this guy impaired in any way or just mad at the world? I don't guess it matters a lot, but I was sort of hoping he was suffering from some sort of medical issue.

Headupassnosis

2016-06-10 12:12 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Originally posted by happyscientist

Is there a news report on that. I was looking for some followup to the initial reporting that says if he has actually been charged.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/06/09/kalamazoo-truck-crash-5-cyclists-died-arraignment/85645050/

2016-06-10 2:04 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I don't guess it matters a lot, but I was sort of hoping he was suffering from some sort of medical issue.

I think it was both, drunk and angry

http://heavy.com/news/2016/06/charlie-charles-e-pickett-jr-battle-c...
2016-06-10 3:14 PM

User image

I am surprised at the charges. I suspect they wouldn't be as severe if not for all of the media coverage. It's too bad the DA of the driver who killed a cyclist and motorcycle rider in CA yesterday didn't have the same attitude.
2016-06-10 3:39 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by metafizx

I think it was both, drunk and angry

http://heavy.com/news/2016/06/charlie-charles-e-pickett-jr-battle-c...

The family chased reporters off their property with a front end loader?!?! Wow. Sounds like the crew has more anger than brains.
2016-06-10 4:19 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Originally posted by happyscientist I am surprised at the charges. I suspect they wouldn't be as severe if not for all of the media coverage. It's too bad the DA of the driver who killed a cyclist and motorcycle rider in CA yesterday didn't have the same attitude.

Do you know MI homicide law (easy to google it)?  I called this as second degree murder under MI Law the day of the accident over on ST, prior to all the coverage.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5 Bicyclists killed Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Another bicyclist killed

Started by LittleCat
Views: 1106 Posts: 7

2011-10-17 11:53 PM Blanda

Good Boston Globe Blog about Bicyclists and Motorists

Started by TriToy
Views: 986 Posts: 9

2008-07-08 4:03 PM wurkit_gurl