General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Improving Bike Fitness/Performance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-09 9:56 AM

Subject: Improving Bike Fitness/Performance
Good morning all,
I completed my first HIM last weekend in Raleigh and was very happy to have finished. Especially with my open water swim fail a few weeks ago, for those of you who remember that thread. Things went much better this time around, however the one thing that really killed my overall time was my bike. Although my overall split wasn't terrible (3:18), I'm afraid it gassed me out and led to a rough run leg (3:01, when I am normally a sub 2 hour 13.1 runner).

So my question is this - Are there any recommended resources for building bike endurance? Or am I overthinking this and the answer is to just bike more? I believe if I can improve my endurance, it will not only help my split time, but will give me a chance at putting up a better run time next go round.

In case you're wondering, I followed the free 20 week plan for the HIM that is posted here on BT.

As always, thanks to all of you who provide constructive advice. You don't know how much you all have helped in this journey!

Alex

2016-06-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Improving Bike Fitness/Performance

There are lots of details, but they can lead to overthinking.  The basics are to ride lots.  Often hard, sometimes easy.  Endurance & speed will follow.  

Then, when it comes to racing, pace your swim and bike 'appropriately' (that is based on your fitness level across all 3 sports) so that you have enough left to run decently.

It's simple.  But not easy.

2016-06-09 10:36 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

And then it becomes easy, but not simple.

2016-06-09 11:06 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

And then it becomes easy, but not simple.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."

2016-06-10 2:03 PM

I'm pretty much a believer in training with power when it comes to the bike. I also do a lot of this training on a trainer in the house. If you don't mind staring at a screen and suffering for 1 to 2 hours then take a look at the Mentor Program archives and look for the Training with power group that started around January 2014. Pretty much everything you need to know is in that thread. If you don't already have trainer road and an indoor trainer there is some expense.

Trainer Road: $10 per month
Kurt Kenetic Road Machine: $150 to $300 depending on if you buy it new or used
Speed and Cadence Sensor: Garmin GSC10 ~$70
Ant+ stick: $20 to $35 depending on brand

Once you start training with power you will eventually want to ride outside with power which will lead to more expense as you will want a power meter. :-)

I would not try and read the mentor thread all the way through as it's a lot of info. Just start from the beginning and do the workouts as you go. Ends up being a 13 week program.

I was in the original group in 2014 and had big increases in my power, endurance and fitness. 2015 was a bad year and I dropped from 223 Watts FTP (Functional Threshold Power - power you can theoretically hold for 1 hour) down to 186 as of Feb. 2016. Got back on the 13 week program and went from 186 to 254 in 13 weeks. That's almost a 37% increase. I did have low hanging fruit but we saw similar results in the mentor group across a wide variety of players.

Thanks, Ron H.
2016-06-11 7:05 PM
in reply to: WaterRat

User image

I switched to a HITS principal for the bike...sort of for the run but for sure on the bike. It recommends easy rides and hard intervals and nothing really in between. I 2nd to training with a power meter. I am pretty much in Z1/2 for recover/endurance or at FTP+ for intervals. Add in some nice recovery intervals between those hard efforts and you'll have workouts which WILL increase your FTP. I was stuck at 275 for most of last year but am up to 294 this year. Although I REALLY doubt I can ride at 294 watts for an hour, my overall fitness is way better. My HR at ~200 watts used to be about 140 and now it's closer to 130. So training hard allows me to work easier for my easier sustained race paces for sure. Workouts for me are sort of easy to create to find. I did a 3x15 @ FTP this week with 8 minute recovery. This allows me to get 45 minutes at FTP but not totally kill myself by doing it strait through.

2016-06-11 7:21 PM
in reply to: WaterRat

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by WaterRat

I'm pretty much a believer in training with power when it comes to the bike. I also do a lot of this training on a trainer in the house. If you don't mind staring at a screen and suffering for 1 to 2 hours then take a look at the Mentor Program archives and look for the Training with power group that started around January 2014. Pretty much everything you need to know is in that thread. If you don't already have trainer road and an indoor trainer there is some expense.

Trainer Road: $10 per month
Kurt Kenetic Road Machine: $150 to $300 depending on if you buy it new or used
Speed and Cadence Sensor: Garmin GSC10 ~$70
Ant+ stick: $20 to $35 depending on brand

Once you start training with power you will eventually want to ride outside with power which will lead to more expense as you will want a power meter. :-)

I would not try and read the mentor thread all the way through as it's a lot of info. Just start from the beginning and do the workouts as you go. Ends up being a 13 week program.

I was in the original group in 2014 and had big increases in my power, endurance and fitness. 2015 was a bad year and I dropped from 223 Watts FTP (Functional Threshold Power - power you can theoretically hold for 1 hour) down to 186 as of Feb. 2016. Got back on the 13 week program and went from 186 to 254 in 13 weeks. That's almost a 37% increase. I did have low hanging fruit but we saw similar results in the mentor group across a wide variety of players.

Thanks, Ron H.

^^This. I made huge improvements once I started training with power on a trainer twice a week. Warning....it's going to hurt. If you're doing it right, every workout is going to push you well beyond what you thought your limits were. But it works like a charm. Also, you learn to suffer, and that helps you a lot in the other two sports. It has been a big breakthrough for me.
2016-06-11 7:40 PM

User image

Agree that the formula for most people new to biking is just to bike more and to add in some intensity.  Using training tools like a power meter or virtual power on the trainer are awesome for fine tuning and maximizing the time that you spend riding, but if you're not riding much to begin with then the benefits will be limited.

Most triathletes who are trying to balance in swimming and running will bike 2-3 times per week consistently just to maintain or slightly improve fitness.  But to make noticeable improvements on the bike, you probably need more like 3-4 bikes sessions per week.

If you are already riding 3-4 times a week, and 5+ hours a week, while not seeing improvements, then you probably need to look more into the structure of your rides and making sure you are getting proper intensity.  If you're only riding 1-2 times per week, and less than 3 hours total, you probably just need to ride more often and/or a bit longer in duration for the time being.  Mix in some intensity of course...but you don't need to go crazy over researching power meters yet at this time.

2016-06-11 9:24 PM

User image

, North Carolina
trainerroad
2016-06-13 6:45 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Exton, PA
train with roadies, train on hills.

When your on a trainer you just put less effort in when it gets hard. When your on a hill you put less effort in only when you made it over the crest.
2016-06-13 7:19 AM
in reply to: #5186144

User image

Franklin, TN
In addition to all of the above, don't forget about swim fitness. The fresher you come out of the swim the better you'll be able to perform on the bike/run.

2016-06-13 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I think what has been said is spot on. The two things that really helped me:

1. Train with power. I ride indoors three days a week with all the electronics. The indoor numbers may not translate perfectly to out on the road but I monitor closely the net improvement. I do an FTP once a quarter. I have seen steady gains which have translated well to improvements out on the road.

2. I joined a road bike group where most of the riders are younger and faster than I am. It has yielded two benefits. First I can count on being pushed to my limits on every ride. There are times that they do drop me but I just use that as motivation. Second, I have learned a lot about gearing. I watch closely when they shift, which was much different than I did. It has helped a lot, especially on climbs.

The only other thing I will add is make sure you get sufficient rest. I used to feel guilty taking time off. It took a while for it to sink in that I perform better when I let the body regenerate. I had a tough week with a lot of miles that ended yesterday. I got a massage (a really nice luxury a few times a year) and all rest today.

Good luck.
2016-06-13 2:26 PM
in reply to: #5186567

TrainerRoad for sure. I am new to tris in general and first sprint is in 4 weeks but been using trainerroad the past 5 weeks and it has already improved my bike fitness.

Started with the olympic base mid volume program and next week will be the last week prior to moving to the next stage.

Good luck.
2016-06-13 2:54 PM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

Zwift makes a world of difference.
2016-06-13 4:10 PM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

So the trainerroad thing is new to me, and I don't have a power meter. It appears from their website my trainer (CycleOps Mag+) is compatible. I have a Cateye Padrone wireless speed and cadence computer on my bike currently. Will that suffice for the other hardware needed? You also need a computer nearby, is that correct? Or does your Iphone work for that?

If there is a good resource you all recommend that can simplify this for me, much appreciated. I don't have much budget for new gadgets right now, but if I can get away with getting into trainerroad for minimal cost, then I'll consider it.

Thanks again!
2016-06-13 5:32 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

You can probably get by with what you have but you will need a dongle for your iPhone.  Your speed/cadence sensor needs to be Ant+ or Bluetooth.  Take a look at the equipment checker web page for virtual power here:  https://www.trainerroad.com/equipment-checker

2016-06-13 6:14 PM
in reply to: #5186685

I dont have a power meter and use my kurt kinetic road machine with a garmin ant plus stick connected to my computer and use my tv. Since i dont have a real power meter it uses virtual power which to me works fine and have no complaints.
2016-06-14 3:51 PM
in reply to: #5186756

nashville, Tennessee
I second the trainerroad advice. I've been doing tris for 5 years and made decent gains the first couple years but plateaued and could not improve my bike fitness for next couple years. I thought I was working hard on the bike and then I got a power trainer and started trainerroad. It quickly made me realize that I had not been training hard before. Trainerroad is great because it provides the structure, and it pushes you to a level you didn't know you had. Finally made gains the last year since starting trainerroad. The only thing I can think of that would be comparable to trainerroad would be riding with a group that is faster than you.
2016-06-14 5:22 PM
in reply to: #5186907

Took the advice and signed up for trainer road. Turns out all my equipment was compatible and I didn't have to purchase anything new. I'm doing my 20 min ftp test tomorrow and excited to get started. Thanks everyone for the recommendation!
2016-06-14 5:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Franklin, TN

I still think you're going to need the Ant+ key and lightning connector for your phone to connect/pair with your speed/cadence sensor.  Check this page out....  http://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201618914-ANT-Connectivity

I bought the Wahoo Ant+ key and the Apple short lightning connector for my iPad (works for the iPhone too).

Edited by JoelO 2016-06-14 5:52 PM
2016-06-14 5:52 PM
in reply to: #5186914

No it was able to pair with my iPhone through Bluetooth. I already tested it out.

2016-06-14 5:57 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Dang!  I might have purchased something I don't need.  I'll have to check to see if my iPad/iPhone versions have Bluetooth.

2016-06-14 6:43 PM
in reply to: #5186920

I think it also depends on how your sensor on your bike sends its signal. If it's Bluetooth, should pair up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Improving Bike Fitness/Performance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim fitness impact on bike performance

Started by marcag
Views: 808 Posts: 5

2015-10-27 10:28 AM marcag

Steps to improving bike fitness Pages: 1 2

Started by dprocket
Views: 2131 Posts: 29

2012-08-07 3:26 PM dprocket

Help me improve bike "fitness" off season

Started by powerman
Views: 811 Posts: 3

2011-11-05 6:24 PM powerman

Will a different bike improve performance?

Started by kathfair
Views: 2070 Posts: 18

2010-09-06 7:56 PM AndrewMT

Coaching and Improving performance

Started by mauro1981
Views: 770 Posts: 1

2004-12-04 6:55 AM mauro1981
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
How recent studies can impact your training and nutrition strategies

date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?
date : January 30, 2005
author : sekhmet
We can no longer say “I’ll start training next year” or “let me just get through the holidays”- it IS next year and I, for one, am more than through with the holidays.

date : December 27, 2004
author : gsmacleod
comments : 1
I have seen very athletically talented teams fall apart in clutch situations and much less gifted teams play well above their ability!
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.

“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.