General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Guy Question- Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-09 8:09 PM

Subject: Big Guy Question-
I started to train for a Triathlon in order to lose weight and become a more healthy person. After getting out of the military, i completely let myself go and over the past 6 years i gained a lot of weight. Training has become a major part of my life and I am loving it! I am down 27 pounds but have a lot more to go. As i prep for my first race, I realized i will be in front of a lot of people in skin tight clothing!

Any larger guys mind giving advice on what works/looks best? one piece? two piece? i am 6' and about 245 right now. Thanks for any advice you have! Currently using aerotech design for bike bibs and jersey.

2016-06-09 8:44 PM
in reply to: TriToFinish57

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Big Guy Question-
first off congratulations on the weight loss and commitment to doing your first race.

As far as skin tight clothing I really wouldnt worry about it. Everyone around you is racing and more focused on their own race than what others are wearing. Personally I go for the 1 piece but have gone with shorts and a compression style top before.
2016-06-10 4:04 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Hi

Firstly well done on the first steps.

Next dont worry too much about how you'll look to others - a lot of people have been in the same situation. I was almost 20stone (sorry 280lbs) when I started on the triathlon road.

When I was larger, I found a one piece was more comfortable /less self conscious as when i wore a 2 piece the top use to ride up and expose my belly 

2016-06-10 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I was bigger when I started and my first race or two I wore tri shorts and just a looser fitting tech shirt on the bike and run. I'm 6'6" so any tri suit or anything one piece was never an option because the length just isn't there. Like others said too, most people aren't going to notice what you're wearing so don't worry about it too much. Get something your comfortable in and enjoy the races. The time for super tight everything will come soon enough.
2016-06-10 8:02 AM
in reply to: #5186247

Sarasota, Florida
Uh oh. Sounds like you became what we referred to in basic as a fat body. Pretty sure a lot of veterans have let that happen. Just embrace the humiliation as a lesson. Haha. For a while I only had Tri shorts which aren't very attractive. I would go on training rides with basketball shorts over. I was considering doing the bike and run in a t but have a tri top now to hold gels and trash. No need to overthink a sprint but people aren't going to be as critical as a DI. Judgemental people have never been worth the worry to me. Its more about the journey and meeting your own standards and goals. Have fun.
2016-06-10 10:11 AM
in reply to: WildWill

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by WildWill

Hi

Firstly well done on the first steps.

Next dont worry too much about how you'll look to others - a lot of people have been in the same situation. I was almost 20stone (sorry 280lbs) when I started on the triathlon road.

When I was larger, I found a one piece was more comfortable /less self conscious as when i wore a 2 piece the top use to ride up and expose my belly 

This! I am not a larger guy, but rather a woman who gained a bunch of weight and am now losing it. The two piece is far superior for bathroom breaks, but the one piece suit wins for keeping the belly covered. Decide which is more important to you, and carry on. Realize that most people are paying more attention to themselves or the person they've come to cheer for rather than you, so you're going to be your own worst critic here.

2016-06-10 10:19 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by TriToFinish57

I started to train for a Triathlon in order to lose weight and become a more healthy person. After getting out of the military, i completely let myself go and over the past 6 years i gained a lot of weight. Training has become a major part of my life and I am loving it! I am down 27 pounds but have a lot more to go. As i prep for my first race, I realized i will be in front of a lot of people in skin tight clothing!

Any larger guys mind giving advice on what works/looks best? one piece? two piece? i am 6' and about 245 right now. Thanks for any advice you have! Currently using aerotech design for bike bibs and jersey.

congrats on some great progress!! Don't worry so much about how you look to others. Remember how far you've come and focus on moving forward. The clothing is a function, more than a fashion statement. That said, De Soto has some bib shorts, either the forza or 400 mile short. Both can be used in the water and they do a great job of holding excess body fat in place so it keeps a gut out of the way a bit cycling, and holds things more in place while running. Plus it relieves the problem of exposing belly when your tri top rides up, like they always do.
2016-06-10 11:01 AM
in reply to: runtim23

, Vermont
Another vote for not worrying about what you look like, but easier said than done.

I would recommend tri shorts regardless, but check out mountain biking tops. They tend to be less restrictive, more forgiving fit, but still offer similar features such as quick dry and pockets for stashing gels or other little miscellaneous things you might want on you.
2016-06-10 1:00 PM
in reply to: ninagski

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
You could also find race photos online. Scroll through those and you can probably spot guys your size etc. and see what they're wearing. I was in the same boat as you and I have used both 1 piece and two piece tri suits. What I like is the form fitting tops that press on my chest a little because this totally eliminates the nipple rubbing effect. Plus you're more streamlined in the water and on the bike.
2016-06-11 8:15 PM
in reply to: #5186268

West Haven, CT
Wear what's comfortable and effective for you. If that's Lycra and an aero helmet, that's what you should wear. You're not there for anyone else's viewing pleasure. Anyone who laughs at the fat guy racing is an asshole and not worthy of your consideration.
2016-06-11 9:28 PM

User image

, North Carolina
It's all about attitude. Saw a guy your size today in nothing but a short jammer. The 2" inseam type. He had no body issues what so ever.

Wear what's comfortable. I agree with the aerotech designs for right now but once you hit a more target weight get something a bit nicer. You'll see a huge difference in fit/comfort/quality.

Two things that are cheap that help a ton are a neoprene chip holder and a number belt. They are not the least be necessary but were nice to have.

2016-06-12 9:32 AM
in reply to: #5186451

Thanks all for the comments. I have 8 weeks until my first race so may wait and she what size I'm at 2 weeks out and the. Get something for race day. That should give me time to swim-bike-run in it once or twice.
2016-06-12 10:11 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Let me start off by saying that I do have body issues, but... what works, works.

I am 5'9" and I was 250ish at my last race. It was Memphis in May 2015 and it was dumping rain.

Swim: Tri shorts.
Bike/Run: Tossed on a bike jersey. It upps the difficulty level a bit by being wet in T1..
2016-06-12 10:48 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by TriToFinish57

Dude, you are THIRTY POUNDS LIGHTER! Get the tightest thing you can fit in to and strut proud!

Also buying tight now means you wont have to replace as soon when you lose even more weight!

I prefer 1 piece kits because with 2 piece kits the top tends to slide up and I get the strip of burn across my lower back no matter how much sunblock I apply.

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep it up!

Edited by davejustdave 2016-06-12 10:50 AM
2016-06-18 2:40 AM

I am in the same place as you, currently 245 pounds, everyone is incredibly encouraging. Using a 1 piece since I found a good deal used.

Good luck and remeber this is fun!
2016-06-18 8:53 AM
in reply to: 0

I'm down from 235 to 198. Doesn't it feel good when the lbs come off? I am a week away from my first HIM and I am going to wear full bike shorts and bike jersey for the bike, switching into running gear with light tech shirt for the run. I have tri shorts which I use for sprints but for a full 56 mi bike ride my boys need more padding.

The point here is to wear what makes you feel comfortable even if it takes a few extra seconds in transition. I doubt that you have the podium in mind in your upcoming race. Me, I consider finishing my goal and a major personal victory.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-06-18 8:53 AM

2016-06-20 11:35 AM

Nobody really cares and you shouldn't either. Albeit...as someone said....easier said than done.

I did local tris on a hybrid for two years. The only people who noticed were people who appreciated how much harder I was working, yet still moving pretty good.

I was in clearance jammers and a free Planet Fitness t-shirt. A place that's derided by so many gym rats. Didn't care. I lost 80 lbs. going to Planet Fitness, and sometimes ate the free pizza and always took a Tootsie Roll or two. I was proud of my work, and happy to have them in my camp. I once wore a dri-fit shirt, it was the only one I owned at the time.

I'm 6'. Hard to find tri-tops long enough if you've got any 'girth'. And certainly, in early spring....the ones I have are a bit of a struggle to comfortably cover the winter belly. You can read reviews of various brands to see which are 'longer'. But, I'd look for a way to try them on...or order returnable ones if you go that route.

Yes, it's 'hard' putting on a t-shirt when you're wet. But then again, even 30 seconds isn't going to cost me a podium spot. Even in a shorter race, 10 minutes wouldn't knock me off the podium. That's never been a remotely achievable goal for me. I'm not selling myself short. I'm just not willing to find a way to put in that work.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Guy Question- Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big Guy Ready for a Big Challenge

Started by Ape
Views: 1439 Posts: 6

2011-05-29 1:41 PM nikon

big guy running question

Started by Bigtalon
Views: 2956 Posts: 16

2009-05-18 4:41 PM Bigtalon

Question for the bigger guys

Started by Cooddog
Views: 991 Posts: 20

2007-06-29 8:13 AM Graycat

Question for the big guys

Started by jguar
Views: 1478 Posts: 25

2004-09-21 7:24 PM will race for beer

Wetsuits for big guys?

Started by Jorta
Views: 1126 Posts: 10

2004-06-17 8:34 PM tripez
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.
date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.