General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shawnee Mission Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-10 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Shawnee Mission Tri
Hi guys, I'm planning out my summer races, since I'm not doing an ironman or 70.3 I can do a short course race pretty much every weekend, which I am thrilled about. I'm interested in the Shawnee Mission Tri long course. I see its 4 loops which I actually find fun. My question is, is it hilly? Is the run hilly? It won't keep me from doing the race, I just want to be prepared, I execute hilly races differently than flat races. Thanks!

2016-06-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Shawnee Mission Tri
Yes they are hilly. I recommend doing the course at least once before racing. I ride loops around the park many times each year and do a few loops while on long hilly rides etc. One benefit if riding before race time is to get your gearing figured out. Some riders can stay on the big ring in front, some will shift to the small ring up front. Once you're going up the dam hill and other hills, you may not be able to switch to your small ring and you'll have to mash up the hill.

Here's a couple course elevation maps. Bike course has lots of short rollers. The worst of the climbs is the dam hill. It's not very long but it's a steep grade peaking between 14-16%. Right after the dam hill is a longer gradual hill about 0.4 miles long averaging around 4% or so. This will be the slowest section of each lap. There are a few descents where you get a very short break before the next small hill.

The run course is 85% flat with some downhill but 15% uphill. The first hill on the run is the same dam hill you rode up four times on the bike. The last hilly section comes in brutal fashion during your last mile. The finish is challenging and it will hurt. But the race experience is great it's one of my favorites.

If you're planning on riding and/or running the course before race day I'd be glad to meet you there and share some tips, exeriences etc. if you wish.

And they always have chocolate milk at the finish which is a plus for me

(SM Bike loop elev.JPG)

(SM Long Run Elev.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
SM Bike loop elev.JPG (17KB - 12 downloads)
SM Long Run Elev.JPG (23KB - 13 downloads)
2016-06-10 12:49 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Per my Garmin, total elevation gain on the bike course for four laps was 1,229 feet. The run was around 183 feet of elevation gain.
2016-06-10 1:17 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Looks and sounds similar to what I ride on here. Thanks! We have a steep 14% short hill here on Fort Riley that I like to do on all my road rides. I will let you know if I can make it out there for training, its a good 2 hour drive. Looking forward to the race now
2016-06-10 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

By the 4th time you start up that hill, you will want to take a water bottle and hurl it at the next volunteer to cheers, "Go get that hill!"  Don't do it.  But you will want to.  

Funny thing is, I have passed many bikes running up the first part of the dam hill.  

Edited by Jayhox 2016-06-10 1:22 PM
2016-06-13 9:40 AM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by jillian_o

Looks and sounds similar to what I ride on here. Thanks! We have a steep 14% short hill here on Fort Riley that I like to do on all my road rides. I will let you know if I can make it out there for training, its a good 2 hour drive. Looking forward to the race now

I know it's a longish trip for you, but they also have OWS on Tues and Thursday evenings. I like to hit the OWS and then take a few laps for a decent evening workout.

2016-06-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I second Reece. I never checked out the course prior to my first time racing there and needless to say I was surprised. Both the bike and run are fairly hilly, at least for the area. Its a pretty fun race, there is a 50% chance it will be rained out, though... I think they have cancelled it 30% of the time due to weather...
2016-06-16 8:42 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Lenexa, KS
I think I'm registering for this one just to keep the legs fresh in July... so plan on it being rained out.

I'm 2/2 on cancellations here so sorry everyone in advance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shawnee Mission Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shawnee Mission Tri - Who's In?

Started by reecealan
Views: 828 Posts: 9

2015-07-13 2:58 PM reecealan

Shawnee Mission Triathlon - Make up date?

Started by AMA168
Views: 2206 Posts: 7

2010-01-04 2:03 PM cjkelly0729

Shawnee Mission Triathlon - International Distance

Started by VeganMan
Views: 3126 Posts: 12

2008-07-08 10:31 PM KCFF

Shawnee Mission Park Tri Bike and Run Course

Started by atasic
Views: 2051 Posts: 3

2008-06-04 6:58 PM atasic

Shawnee Mission Triathlon - International Distance

Started by VeganMan
Views: 1894 Posts: 1

2007-06-19 2:54 PM VeganMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.