World Triathlon Corporation
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 58m 58s
Overall Rank = 595/1828
Age Group = F60-64
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Stacey, Sue and I got up at 3:00. We left the Hampton at 3:56 and arrived at 4:20 to park at Talbot and School. It was a good arrival time and the same time as last year. We anxiously watched to see the hoards of cars arriving to fight for the parking spots along the road and not many materialized. We were very surprised. About a half hour later, we headed to transition and discovered that they were parking all of the cars on the field. All of the literature said that there would be no parking on the race site.

It was a very warm morning, about 76 degrees. It was going to be a stifling day.

As I entered the transition area with my crate containing my drinks, a woman told me that I would have to take my crate back out; that I wasn't allowed to use it. I was ticked. I always use it to sit on unless it's a full ironman and those races have chairs. It doesn't take up hardly any room and as luck would have it, the person on the other side of the rack next to me didn't show up so there was even more room. I kept my crate. The USAT official walked by at least 20 times checking the area and never said a word. I was in the clear!

Event warmup:

My wave went off at 6:52, right after the pro women.

I ate a Power Bar before the start.
Swim
  • 35m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wetsuits were allowed this year. The swim did not feel easy to me. I felt like I was swimming slowly but I guess I wasn't. Very few from the next wave caught me.

I was able to follow some feet for a portion of the swim. The woman had a really exaggerated kick.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

This was not a transition to write home about. I didn't need my race number for the bike so I left it in transition (for the first time ever). As I was almost at the exit, I realized that my Endurolytes, Base salt and Aquaphor were in my Spibelt. Today was not the day to go without salt. I ran back for it with my bike. Rookie mistake.

I decided to go without socks on the bike today. No problem...I was fine.

Stick with my normal routine.
Bike
  • 3h 03m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Sue was the first person I knew to pass me on the bike. She flew by and said "Come on Chickee, let's catch these guys." No way could I keep up with her. Then Marianne Moore passed me and said hello. Let's face it, hundreds of people always pass me on the bike. Neither Stacey nor Christine O. caught me.

There was a woman named Joann that caught me and we took turns passing each other. We did this for awhile. She asked if anyone was peeing on the bike. "Why, did you?" I asked. She said no but that she had to. We discussed the difficulties of peeing on a flat course. Then next time we passed each other, we discussed how boring it was not talking to anyone the whole way.

I did see a lot of men drafting. I saw the motorcycle a few times, too, but it wasn't until later on during the ride.

I tried to keep my pace up but the wind was really strong for the first half. No road kill this year.

I took 3 Endurolytes each hour for a total of 9 on the bike. I brought my own Gatorade (2 full strength bottles and one watered down) so I didn't have to drink the flavor that I can't stand on the course. I grabbed a bottle of water at 3 of the aid stations and drank about half of each.

I ate one pack of Clif Bloks and a chocolate Power Bar. I just couldn't manage the GU I brought. Maybe that was because I was drinking more.

Train on the bike more.
Transition 2
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

I took my time here. I globbed Vaseline on my toes and put socks on. (I only ended up with one blister--left big toe.). I peed. I changed my sunglasses and put a visor on. I also squirted sunscreen on my arms and applied it while running out. I put two GUs in my pockets.

Next time, I'd put sunscreen on the part in my hair. I always get burnt there from wearing a visor.
Run
  • 2h 12m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Another brutal EM run with the sun blazing and not many clouds in sight. Right away, there were people walking and stopped on the side of the road rubbing their legs. One guy was walking back. I asked if he was finishing or quitting. (He was quitting.)

I caught Sue at about 4 miles. She seemed really surprised to see me.

Then, I saw Marianne Moore at about 4.5 miles. That was the same spot I caught her last year. I was going to sneak up behind her and then power past, but she started walking and made it really easy for me. I asked her where Elizabeth Weaver was and she acted like she never heard of her. I said, "she's the one racked next to you." She had no idea.

Soon after that, I started to feel slightly nauseous. I grabbed some pretzels at the next aid station and they helped. I took some at every aid station after that, along with water and Gatorade.

I used the BASE salts twice (3 licks each time). I didn't use Endurolytes this time.

I didn't eat the GUs I brought. I just didn't feel like it.I dumped two cups of ice down my top at each aid station. That held me to the next one.

No crippling cramps for me on the run this year. I was amazed!!!

Joann Pileggi caught me at the 10 mile mark. She said hello and was all bubbly and cheerful. I commented how hot it was and she said "let's enjoy the last 3 miles." Enjoy?? Seriously! I tried keeping pace with her as we discussed our past Ironmans. I quickly realized that her pace was a bit much for me. She ended up finishing 2 minutes ahead of me. (As a side note, we are now Facebook friends.)

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and didn't need medical. Mission accomplished!

A man about my husband's age walked over to me and said "Linda Collins." He introduced himself as Elizabeth Weaver's husband. He congratulated me on my win, which I didn't know up to that point. He said that me, Marianne and Elizabeth were neck and neck the whole way. Interesting! I told him how I had admired Elizabeth all of these years and frankly, didn't enjoy seeing her on the participants' list. LOL!

I couldn't find Stacey so I got some food and sat in the shade. The second I sat down, my foot started cramping, then my shin. However, I couldn't get up. I sat there in pain and the guy next to me said he was worried because he hadn't peed all day. I think it's funny that triathletes discuss how often they pee, where they pee, etc.

I eventually found Stacey and Sue. We saw Stephanie finish. No matter how long it takes her and how tired she says she is, she always looks great! I never saw Christine after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and wind.

Event comments:

A sunny and hot race but the volunteers were great! I enjoyed meeting new people. The award ceremony started too late for me, though.

Last updated: 2016-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:01 | 2112 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 474/1828
Performance: Good
Suit: Long-sleeve wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:00 | 56 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 834/1828
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:12 | 13.1 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 0/1828
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-06-13 11:56 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2457 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4358 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2209 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2045 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2051 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.