General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apparently there's Worse things than Sharks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-15 9:01 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Apparently there's Worse things than Sharks

An alligator takes a toddler wading in foot deep water at Disney World Lagoon.  As a parent and grand-parent I can't begin to imagine what this would be like.  Makes my irrational fear of sharks pale in comparison.

Thoughts and prayers to the family.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alligator-attacks-child-disney-florida/

2016-06-15 9:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Apparently there's Worse things than Sharks

Very sad story, hope the family can find some peace.   

ETA - as someone else who has an irrational fear of sharks I didn't want to click on the link.  I did hoping it didn't end the way it seems to.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-06-15 9:13 AM
2016-06-15 9:48 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Heard about this when I woke up today, so sad.  As a FL resident for 17 years I remember talking to our then 84 YO neighbor when we moved in and were FL green.  With water behind our house & fence he told us to be wary on the water shore due to gators and gave us a book on snakes and reptiles.  I remember him saying, "be very very careful around any water between April and July as its gator breeding season, they'll be on the move and can be unpredictable".

2016-06-15 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Exton, PA
Sharks for the most part only bite humans by mistake, and we all swim with them anytime we are in the ocean or bay whether you know it or not.

Gators and crocs on the other hand are just plain killers, they don't care what they eat as long as it fits in their mouths.

Edited by mike761 2016-06-15 10:33 AM
2016-06-15 1:36 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I've always been more afraid of gators than sharks when it comes to swimming. Really sucks for that family.

2016-06-15 3:15 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Thoughts and prayers to the family - something like that happening on vacation to my kid(s) would crush me.

Originally posted by mike761
Gators and crocs on the other hand are just plain killers, they don't care what they eat as long as it fits in their mouths.

Not according to the state wildlife folks. From a USAToday article:

"Nick Wiley, executive director of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which spearheaded the search, said the American alligator was feeding and likely confused the small child for a dog or a raccoon. The gators do not typically feed on humans. “People – even small people – are not their typical prey,” he said.

Wildlife officials count around a dozen alligator bites a year in Florida, but fatalities from the reptiles are far less common. There have been only 23 fatalities caused by alligators in Florida since the 1940s, Wiley said. Tuesday's incident is the first known alligator attack at the Seven Seas Lagoon, he said."

23 deaths in 76 years isn't zero, but I would guess it is on par with deaths from other marine animals.

2016-06-15 4:12 PM

There is nothing worse then loosing your child!
2016-06-15 7:52 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Horrible, horrible. I don't know how that family will pull the pieces back together. They have my prayers.

I don't think most people (other than those from Florida) realize that gators are nearly as plentiful as friggin' squirrels down here. Any water deeper than a puddle could harbor a gator or a moccasin. I have logged many hours at WDW and have never seen a gator in the park, with that said, why WDW would allow anyone near the water, especially at night, is beyond me. WDW is a tight run ship but they really blew this one.
2016-06-16 3:37 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Sarasota, Florida
I saw this and thought it was horrible. I can't imagine wrestling a gator with its jaws clamped on my child just to have it get away. I bet the father feels horrible and its sad this child's life ended this way. I see they had no swimming signs, but wonder if they were the type with pictures of alligators on them which I see on school campuses. I can see how it could be misleading building a man made beach around a lake then posting no swimming signs. Much sympathy to the family and deceased.

I see gators all the time and like black bears I have always viewed them as potentially dangerous but so skittish I feel fairly secure around them, but then you hear stories like this and it's a tragic reminder. It's good to know seasons and situations where these animals may act more aggressively. I did see in an old news article where a man fought off an alligator while training for a triathlon. He believed he swam up over it in shallow water which startled the gator and caused it to attack him. It makes me even more cautious since they found Nile crocs this year. I'm always uneasy in freshwater due to alligators and that brain eating amoeba.
2016-06-16 7:32 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by CycloneVM

Thoughts and prayers to the family - something like that happening on vacation to my kid(s) would crush me.

Not according to the state wildlife folks. From a USAToday article:

"Nick Wiley, executive director of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which spearheaded the search, said the American alligator was feeding and likely confused the small child for a dog or a raccoon. The gators do not typically feed on humans. “People – even small people – are not their typical prey,” he said.

Wildlife officials count around a dozen alligator bites a year in Florida, but fatalities from the reptiles are far less common. There have been only 23 fatalities caused by alligators in Florida since the 1940s, Wiley said. Tuesday's incident is the first known alligator attack at the Seven Seas Lagoon, he said."

23 deaths in 76 years isn't zero, but I would guess it is on par with deaths from other marine animals.

There are plenty of people who swim with sharks, not so many who swim around playing with gators.
Gators were also hunted to near extinction which had the population way down for many years. They also tend to kill or put into captivity the large ones which eat anything; not the case with sharks. I believe this is the 3rd person in Orlando that was killed by a Gator in the past 12 months.
2016-06-16 10:23 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Originally posted by Donto

Heard about this when I woke up today, so sad.  As a FL resident for 17 years I remember talking to our then 84 YO neighbor when we moved in and were FL green.  With water behind our house & fence he told us to be wary on the water shore due to gators and gave us a book on snakes and reptiles.  I remember him saying, "be very very careful around any water between April and July as its gator breeding season, they'll be on the move and can be unpredictable".

I was thinking something like this too. My husband and I knew after living in Florida for 10 years when we had kids to watch out with toddlers near water in mating season (or ever). We like to bike through the everglades (Shark Valley) but took a break until they were older. But I would never expect somebody who wasn't from here to have any idea.

It's a terrible story like a horror film coming to life. Just tragic.

2016-06-16 2:30 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Floriduh
There are plenty of people who swim with sharks, not so many who swim around playing with gators.
Gators were also hunted to near extinction which had the population way down for many years. They also tend to kill or put into captivity the large ones which eat anything; not the case with sharks. I believe this is the 3rd person in Orlando that was killed by a Gator in the past 12 months.

Not quite, first, American alligators are not salt water or Nile crocodiles. They are not very aggressive and will generally scatter when humans are around. The bigger ones get belligerent, but they are not intrinsically man-eaters. I have done numerous races in alligator-positive rivers and bayous, never gave it a thought. Would not do this in water with crocodiles. Second, wouldn't get in the water at night and the mating season comments are spot on. Third, no way I'm believing that 3 people got killed by gators in the entire US in the last year, let alone the city of Orlando.
2016-06-16 2:49 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Oysterboy
Originally posted by mike761 There are plenty of people who swim with sharks, not so many who swim around playing with gators. Gators were also hunted to near extinction which had the population way down for many years. They also tend to kill or put into captivity the large ones which eat anything; not the case with sharks. I believe this is the 3rd person in Orlando that was killed by a Gator in the past 12 months.
Not quite, first, American alligators are not salt water or Nile crocodiles. They are not very aggressive and will generally scatter when humans are around. The bigger ones get belligerent, but they are not intrinsically man-eaters. I have done numerous races in alligator-positive rivers and bayous, never gave it a thought. Would not do this in water with crocodiles. Second, wouldn't get in the water at night and the mating season comments are spot on. Third, no way I'm believing that 3 people got killed by gators in the entire US in the last year, let alone the city of Orlando.
Truism for central FL region as a whole. This list is accurate from what I can recall, 3 since Oct last year with another found  likely after death.  Note, if a FL criminal don't try and hide/escape in waters!

2016-06-18 6:06 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Originally posted by mike761 There are plenty of people who swim with sharks, not so many who swim around playing with gators. Gators were also hunted to near extinction which had the population way down for many years. They also tend to kill or put into captivity the large ones which eat anything; not the case with sharks. I believe this is the 3rd person in Orlando that was killed by a Gator in the past 12 months.
Truism for central FL region as a whole. This list is accurate from what I can recall, 3 since Oct last year with another found  likely after death.  Note, if a FL criminal don't try and hide/escape in waters!

I don't know if any of you read this but we have a winner for the Darwin award here:

"Suffered severe trauma to a limb and was drowned by an alligator that attacked him at a marina in Orange County, Texas. Warning signs had been posted after the alligator had been spotted in the water, but Woodward ignored the signs and his friends' pleas not to swim; he reportedly taunted the alligator before jumping in."
2016-06-18 8:21 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I don't know if any of you read this but we have a winner for the Darwin award here: "Suffered severe trauma to a limb and was drowned by an alligator that attacked him at a marina in Orange County, Texas. Warning signs had been posted after the alligator had been spotted in the water, but Woodward ignored the signs and his friends' pleas not to swim; he reportedly taunted the alligator before jumping in."

You can't fix stupid!

2016-06-19 6:48 AM

There used to be a triathlon at Disney with the swim in bay lake. The transition was at fort wilderness. Did it a few years without incident. There was also a Danskin women's tri held there a few times with transition at Magic kingdom right next to the Grand Floridian.
Don't swim in murkey lakes in Florida at night.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apparently there's Worse things than Sharks Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Apparently I did some things right this year

Started by axteraa
Views: 1479 Posts: 19

2011-11-27 3:59 PM TriFlorida

There's swimming, and then there's........

Started by trainforacure
Views: 1485 Posts: 7

2011-08-13 7:23 AM Phaethon

Worst thing to get

Started by adameldridge
Views: 997 Posts: 4

2007-03-12 8:53 AM ryanlc

There's no such thing as overtraining

Started by matthewjt
Views: 1014 Posts: 5

2006-05-15 5:32 PM sebjamesm

what's the worst thing that's ever happened to you during a race

Started by awol
Views: 1688 Posts: 23

2005-08-18 12:04 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : December 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on swimming faster, sinking during the shark fin drill, benefit of a wetsuit and breathing exercises to help swimming.

date : January 22, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re adding in a bit of sprinting/anaerobic work.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
comments : 0
"I was talking to this guy I work with who's son does tri's and he says that fish and sharks "NIP" at you while you are swimming." Okay so now I am freaked out.