General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Is This New Swim Stroke the Fastest Yet?" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-06-20 7:14 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: "Is This New Swim Stroke the Fastest Yet?"
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by davejustdave
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by davejustdave .... You are right that the path to getting fast isn't special,  ....

I'm pretty sure this is LB's point...

Naw. LB is convinciened he knows more than WR holders and olympic athletes. He says swim training is all the same regardless of distance, xespite the fact the world's best don't seem to agree... He seems to think that run training is the same too.. I guess that's why Bolt does the same training as kenyan marathoners.. oh... wait... Same with cycling. He maintains that how you work out should be the EXACT dame irrelevant of the distance or type of event within a discipline...

I don't think LB 'thinks' he knows more than WR Holders etc etc.  

But, in this case, he knows more than YOU! smh

Yes, I think LB's point is:

If you want to swim fast- train like a swimmer
If you want to bike fast- ride like(and with roadies)
If you want to run fast- train like a runner(distance runners)

Triathletes continue to want to think the swim /bike/run are so special and different than the individual and they are not.

2016-06-20 8:06 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
They're not "different". I look at it as one sport, though. Is that a cop-out (to some)?

I've been a collegiate baseball player. I've been a PGA Teaching Professional. I've won several archery tournaments. I've had a fair amount of my life dedicated to sports. I have a very limited time to devote to training for my races in which I aspire to be competitive in my AG in. If I wanted to be a competitive swimmer, I'd devote more time to it and try to compete at the masters meets. Ditto cycling. Ditto running. But....if I have 10 hours/wk to train.......and I spend more time in the water.....my cycling and running will suffer.

If I manage my limited time well......I can swim good enough to get me out of the water in time to be competitive with others in my AG (in the overall race). If I spend more time on the shortest leg of the overall race........have I made a smart decision?

With unlimited time......I'd spend more time on all three legs. I don't have that luxury, so we manage what we have. Triathlon is one sport.
2016-06-20 11:06 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by davejustdave

Originally posted by marysia83

While I'm still on my journey to master freestyle (and FYI: it's going super well), I thought I would share this with you and seek some feedback/discussion. Somebody in my open water Facebook group mentioned it work well for waves.

http://nautil.us/issue/37/currents/is-this-new-swim-stroke-the-fast...

Not new.

You plan on holding your breath for 2.4 miles?

Many freedivers use monifins and dolphin kick to do this as well because it is very efficient, but that's a 6-20 minute breathup laying as still and relaxed as possible for a 3-5 min breath hold...

Next time you go to the pool, try swimming hard for 25 yards without breathing between strokes. Take a single breath at the wall and repeat. See how far you get.

In second thought, don't try that. I don't want anyone drowning.

Oh no, by any means I wanted to use this stroke for triathlon. I was looking for a discussion and a feedback to what my friend (swimmer) that it would work well with waves.
Since I am not experienced swimmer by any means, trust me - the last thing I'm going to do when facing waves is experimenting with fly/fish kick...
2016-06-20 11:06 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by 3mar

It's well known that the dolphin kick is the fastest way through the water, and it's FAR from new....that's why there are regulations on how far it can be used on any lap.  The swim kids do thousands of yards of dolphin kicking.  In addition to being fast through the water it builds phenomenal core strength, balance,  timing, and "feel" for the water.  Everyone who is on a path to learning how to swim should spend some time on them........virtually nobody does.

That'll certainly help you in the pool, but what about in a triathlon?
Oh.....triathlon swimming is "special swimming" huh?
Here we go..... Getting popcorn

haha I thought the same thing
2016-06-20 11:20 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by 3mar

It's well known that the dolphin kick is the fastest way through the water, and it's FAR from new....that's why there are regulations on how far it can be used on any lap.  The swim kids do thousands of yards of dolphin kicking.  In addition to being fast through the water it builds phenomenal core strength, balance,  timing, and "feel" for the water.  Everyone who is on a path to learning how to swim should spend some time on them........virtually nobody does.

That'll certainly help you in the pool, but what about in a triathlon?
Oh.....triathlon swimming is "special swimming" huh?
Here we go..... Getting popcorn

haha I thought the same thing

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Is This New Swim Stroke the Fastest Yet?" Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swim - 2 stroke vs 3 stroke breathing

Started by coachrains
Views: 977 Posts: 1

2014-02-28 8:33 AM coachrains

Found a new way to swim faster..

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 1519 Posts: 15

2011-07-21 1:35 PM moldoverb

Lower Stroke Count = Faster?

Started by racedad
Views: 912 Posts: 3

2010-05-07 2:01 PM racedad

Combat swim stroke/side stroke

Started by angrypuppy
Views: 11671 Posts: 9

2009-07-08 1:37 PM angrypuppy

Ugly stroke=dang fast?!

Started by kimj81
Views: 1057 Posts: 9

2005-05-10 11:57 AM kimj81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : March 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
How important is it to decrease your stroke count?
date : January 28, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on getting below 1:15 swim pace, how to get faster as a new swimmer, benefit of a wetsuit and sinking hips.

date : November 16, 2009
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.
date : July 14, 2009
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.