United States
Sun Multisport Events
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 01m 52s
Overall Rank = 342/629
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 32/54
Pre-race routine:

I followed my plan from 2012 - got up at 2:30am and left the house at 3am. Very crazy. Had coffee, pb on bagel and pretzels along the way, plus some water. Arrived at 5am and got a great parking space!! Registered and got marked. SWAG at Patriot is always top-notch - nice cooler, good shirt. I brought my stuff to transition in waves - I had plenty of time. Saw Edith and said hello, also saw Eran and said hello. Drank some Gatorade and took my X2
Event warmup:

Did a 20 minute swim - nothing strenuous, but wanted to get in the water. Then stood around for 30-40 minutes waiting to start.
Swim
  • 38m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Despite the wait, the time trial style start actually worked out great - I had the least amount of contact and "angst" of any swim that I can remember. Had mostly clear passage throughout. Some chop as I got out further, but mostly just a nice swim.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster.
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

This was slow - I wasn't rushing, but had a bit of trouble with my wet suit on the ankle with the timing "wrap".

Not much, just hurry up.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Happy with my bike - I think I went as hard as my fitness level would allow. This was my first HIM with my tri-bike - and the course definitely played to the strength of this - very few climbs of any significance. Mostly down in aero, pumping away. I successfully refilled the Shiv hydration tank twice with water - had not done that in a race before. Still a lot of trouble with the behind the seat bottle holder - I need something different. I ended up tossing my bottle without really using it. I had 3 GU's and water - probably could have used some more calories.

Replace the behind-the-seat bottle holder so that I can have a better source of calories and hydration
Transition 2
  • 05m 47s
Comments:

Very slow - wanted to make sure I had my socks and shoes on comfortably and get a drink - plus I was pretty wiped out from the bike. Also, finally took a bathroom break (#1) - this wasn't counted in T2 time, as the porta-potties were just outside the transition. I had needed to go since swim, so it took awhile -probably cost me the sub-6hr time....oh well, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

Go faster.
Run
  • 2h 20m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot out there. I was very concerned and focused on not getting overheated or dehydrated. I walked the water stops to make sure I got fluids, and took in 3 GU's. I alternated water and Gatorade. My pace was slow but steady - I ran all the "in betweens" including the hills, so I was happy with that. Considering that this was my longest run in over 2 years, I couldn't expect to do much better.

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

My one complaint is that there are very few shaded seating areas right outside of the finish. It was very hot and sunny, and I have no where to go. All of the tri clubs and sponsors had tents, and the eating area was packed with people (and families) who had already finished and were semi-recovered. I just needed a shaded seat for 5 mins or so - not to be found. Also, ice baths were advertised again - didn't see any of those. So, I limped over to my truck and sat on the tailgate to try and avoid falling over. After 10 mins or so, walked very slowly back to transition and went back in the lake - that was nice! Picked up my stuff and slowly made my way back to my truck to load up. Still feeling pretty loopy, so I went back to transition and got some food - that helped a lot! Stuck around to see my friend Edith finish - her first HIM, so a big deal. Hung out with her for awhile, then finally felt like I could drive. Had to get home for daughter's dance recital!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training and fitness was the big factor. I was generally happy with my swim and bike, but the run was bad. I cant really complain - knee injury was the main factor, but I didn't put in as much work over the past 6-8 weeks after having a very good off season.

Event comments:

This is my favorite HIM for sure - the venue is great, the course is reasonable, the volunteers and support are great, good SWAG, etc. I did it in 2012 and would come back again, despite my struggles on the run this year!

Last updated: 2016-02-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:06 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/54
Overall: 231/629
Performance: Good
Suit: Pro-Action Sleeveless
Course: Rectangle, going counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:26 | 56 miles | 19.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/54
Overall: 292/629
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 loops with some rolling hills, no heavy climbs. Lots of shade, and some very nice sections along the lake. Hit some traffic issues here and there on some narrow roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:20:57 | 13.1 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/54
Overall: 414/629
Performance: Below average
Course: Not sure, but single loop with a couple of hills, but not overly hilly by any means (note to Quassy!!). Mix of open sun and shade - wish there was a bit more shade....
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-06-20 10:53 AM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2016-06-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: #5187729

Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon
Thanks for writing up this report.

I'm planning on doing this race next year and was wondering about the swim. How cold was the water? Were there many people swimming without wetsuits? I've never swum in a wetsuit and would like to avoid it if possible.

Thanks and congrats on a good race!
2016-06-20 12:06 PM
in reply to: JCZ

User image

Connecticut
JCZ - The water was very comfortable - probably around 70-73F. I didn't see many (if any) people without a wetsuit. Its a big lake and can get choppy out there. I don't wear it because I'm uncomfortable or cold in the water, but the buoyancy does give an advantage over that distance (in my opinion).

If you're doing this next year, sign up early - its very popular - for good reason too!

Chris
2016-06-20 8:17 PM

User image

Master
CT

Hi Chris,

I did the race too and it is one of my favorite half irons. It was hot out on that run and almost wish it had not been such a gorgeous day with absolutely no cloud cover! I had my usual mediocre swim, a very solid bike and survived the run much like you did. 

There was  a small pool under the tarp at the finish line filled with ice water. You could have grabbed a chair and sat there for a while to soak you feet. Perhaps you missed it? I agree that the sun was relentless and it was very difficult to get out of it. I missed a lot of last season due to a rather large skin cancer excision on my temple that required a skin graft to close so I am super sensitive to that kind of intense sunshine. Mentally, it just wrecks me. I was happy to minimize the potential for sunburn, but it required extra time in transition and prolly should have thrown on a shirt for the run.

Hope to see you out at lake T. for the next sprint?

Great job at Patriot!

~Pam

2016-06-21 5:32 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Great job Chris! Next up is the Ellington Sprint Tri for you, right? Keep up that training volume and I'll see you at the Y..
Congratulations again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 3860 Posts: 19

2011-07-07 11:54 AM Dream Chaser

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by BradyFinney
Views: 1911 Posts: 4

2011-06-19 7:45 PM Rudedog55

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by FlyTheBlueSky
Views: 2932 Posts: 14

2012-05-01 1:41 PM gcoller

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2727 Posts: 15

2011-06-20 6:17 PM trix

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Joe84
Views: 1622 Posts: 2

2011-06-19 12:48 PM natethomas2000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : November 16, 2010
author : Al1978
comments : 4
From the couch to a half Ironman the hard way.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.