General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Topeka, Kansas
United States
Legend Endurance
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 53s
Overall Rank = 55/
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 11/15
Pre-race routine:

We arrived for packet pickup and had plenty of time to rack bikes. For the 2nd time this season (and EVER!) we were racked right next to each other. Yay!

After the normal routine, we went to the water start for a quick swim.
Event warmup:

I swam maybe 100-150 yards.
Swim
  • 20m 10s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Tried to remain calm. The first 500 I was breathing every stroke before trying to calm down and focus. Decent swim. Not great. Thought I was a little better than the result.
What would you do differently?:

I need to find a happy medium between being all-out (and out of sorts) and completely relaxed. I think I still panic a bit, but then when I calm down, probably not pushing hard enough.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Third fastest T1 in my AG. Not too shabby. I did take time to put socks on because I wanted them for this run. I had my shoes banded to the bike and the running surface was nice.

Nothing
Bike
  • 59m 11s
  • 19 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. I spent alot of time passing and rarely being passed, however I think the faster athletes were gone and I never caught them. Was fairly satisfied with the bike, although I thought that I would have made better progress over 2013's race, considering the time I have in the sport and the additional training. My bike and swim were almost identical to 2013.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

I had a decent T2, and nothing comes to mind that I should have done differently.
Run
  • 1h 11m 14s
  • 7 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This run always kills me. The first 2 times I did Tinman long course, I melted here. My goal going out (especially since I've had no taper and no specific goals for this race) was to run well, and survive much better than I have before on this course.

I started out comfortably and was drinking from my belt every 10 minutes or so. I found myself observing milestones: the damn where my right hamstring cramped in 2013, the shelter area at mile 4ish that I nearly quit, etc.

I intended to spend the first 3 miles getting into a comfortable rythm and then move to push the pace a bit. I never got to the pushing the pace part, however. I did get the opportunity to pick up a dude who was really suffering and walking. As I ran by him, I told him "come on" and ran with him for about 2 miles before he stopped again. I felt like I was returning the favor for what Steve did for me in 2013. Overall, I felt decent and took a total of 6 minutes off my run time from 2013. I'm pretty happy about that.

I would not change anything, unless I changed my objectives for the race. I did not taper and was running hard intervals even until the end of the week.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, got medal, water, gatorade and then looked for a shady place to watch for wife. We got some bad pizza and free beers and soon headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly, this was a C race that we signed up for because it was cheap, and convenient. Not many Saturday races and the course is fair enough. Even though it's "out of town", it's really not much further for us than some other races like KC Tri.

Event comments:

This race is sort of no frills. But I have no complaints. I like to complain when I feel like promises are not delivered on. The course was safe, the race was organized and well put together. There was ice at the run stations. The medals and shirts were very generic (same for long/short course, same design as last year), but that's not a big deal to me. I'm much happier with the production this year than I was as an observer in 2014 and 2015.

Last updated: 2016-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:10 | 1000 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: The course was 1 loop
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:59:11 | 19 miles | 19.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 11/
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop on country roads. First half was quite nice and the 2nd half was a rough chip seal.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:11:14 | 07 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/15
Overall: 0/
Course: 1 loop around the lake, mostly unshaded and some rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-06-20 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Long Course

Started by Bryantsl
Views: 1574 Posts: 1

2007-06-19 9:38 PM Bryantsl

Started by climbin5414
Views: 1544 Posts: 2

2007-06-18 10:21 AM LindaKC

Started by LindaKC
Views: 1665 Posts: 6

2007-06-19 10:37 AM lisac957

Started by kylebush
Views: 1549 Posts: 3

2007-06-19 2:02 PM katieyows

Started by tdstewKC
Views: 1455 Posts: 1

2007-06-17 4:13 PM tdstewKC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.